5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I got a keeper from Casio
Published on November 14, 2007 by Peter Sinclaire

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Looking But Flimsy
Published on November 18, 2007 by John B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I got a keeper from Casio, November 14, 2007
This is the 3rd Casio I buy in the last year... and the cheapest. I previously tried the G601-1AV and later the GW1300A-9AV, both of the G-Shock family. However, I was looking for one with analog and digital time, but easy to read and with night illumination. The G601 is nice, but the small rounded digital displays are a bit too small for my old eyes, and the night illumination is only for the digital displays!. Then I bought the GW1300 because it was advertised as having two LEDs that illuminated the whole face of the watch and was solar powered. True! but... the design is such that when the face is illuminated in the dark, it is so full of shiny surfaces and reflections that you can hardly distinguish the analog hands, and nothing of the digital displays. So, I kept looking and finally decided on this one, the AQ160W with not too much hope... and voila! it was perfect for me! Thinner than the G-Shocks and very light weight, the digital displays are big and easy to read, even if the hands are over them (the digits look gold on day light, very nice, not like the picture here which shows how it looks when the green back light is on). The backlight, with optional auto turn-on, is perfectly readable, and you can see, besides the big numbers, the silhouette of the analog hands over the background. I am ready to give up the 200m water resist, the solar power, the waveceptor auto time set, the automatic handles setting by the digital clock, all for the good design of this watch. It would be perfect if Casio added to this one the solar power and the auto setting of the analog clock. The dual world time, auto calendar, chronometer, timer, multiple alarms, are all common features of these watches however.
The only drawback for me is the extremely thin resin band, which being very confortable, does not look long lasting. I hope I can find replacements in the future.

Anyway, great watch! My search is over...

(I must say that this search would have been much easier if I had the chance to try these watches in a local store before buying, but none of these models were available where I live.)

Update 26/Oct/2009: After 2 years of almost continuous use, the battery still works and the resin band, though not looking like new anymore, has no sign of deterioration. I was wrong thinking that it would break easily. Great watch!

Update July 2010: the battery refuses to die... the resin band has no sign of cracks... so what can I say? The backlight is dimmer though, so I am buying a new one soon. I definitively recommend it.

Update November 2011: I did get a new one last year as announced (and give the old one away to a nephew) and it is as good as the previous one. One year with no sign of deterioration, not even a scratch and the band looks in perfect condition... I will definitively keep buying them every 3 years... Really happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch..., March 21, 2007
With a timer, stopwatch, 4 alarms *and* a "snooze" alarm this would be a nice, full featured watch. But, add to that list multiple time-zones, daylight saving time switch *and* both analog and digital faces and you have a fantastic watch.

Likes: averaged size watch face, not HUGE, but not small, it looks good enough to be worn dressy or while roughing it. Multiple alarms is a necessity for me.

Dislikes: some functions only work in one direction. For example, if you are setting the analog face, the arms only move forward, so if you pass up the correct time, you need to go through another 12 hours of settings. Same thing for multiple time-zones, if you pass up the time-zone you want you'll need to circle the earth one more time. Not hugely a problem, just not convenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch, July 12, 2007
Barb "ILoveCakeandIceCream" (Portsmouth, Va United States) - See all my reviews
I love the look of a digital/analog watch. Most of the ones I have seen are expensive, and mostly men's watches. This watch can be unisex, as it also has a wristband that will fit from a small wrist (mine are tiny) to a thick one. The directions for setting the many features were very clear and easy to understand. I love that it also has daylight saving time built in, so you don't have to worry about adjusting your watch. The analog, and the digital time change at once automatically. You can also set your watch according to city, and worldwide timezone. I could not have asked for anything more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Looking But Flimsy, November 18, 2007
John B. (United States) - See all my reviews
I had been looking for a nice combination analog-digital timepiece, and this seemed to be what I was searching for. I really liked the looks of it from the photos I'd seen. The price seemed reasonable as well. After buying it I was a little disappointed by the cheap "feel" of the watch. After about only a month, the acrylic crystal and plastic case seemed to show a little too much wear. I know that the crystal can be buffed, but I didn't think I'd have to worry about that so soon. Also, one of the plastic lugs for the band broke when (in my opinion) only a moderate amount of pressure was applied to the strap from carrying it in my pocket. This might not have been a problem if the strap wasn't designed to fit so snuggly against the case. Now of course the watch is unwearable. I'm not against owning plastic watches, but this watch didn't seem as durable as any other plastic-cased watch that I've owned. I do like Casio's, but I will probably stick with something from their G-Shock line next time. They are a little more expensive, but more durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost... the best Ana-Digi watch out there., June 12, 2006
ZeroCool (Si Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of analog watches as i can somehow calculate time differences quicker with them... but I also wanted a stop watch and calendar on my wrist.

This watch gives the best combination of both with a large easily readable digital display along with the 2 hands (which are illuminous.. glow in the dark). The resin strap is more comfortable in the summer and doent pinch the hair on my wrist. The analog time is a little hard to set so i rarely change it when travelling across timezones and instead switch cities using the built in list which adjusts the digital time. The large multi lcd display also makes it easier to use than the rest of the ana-digi's out there with the teeny weenie lcd near the bottom of the dial.

The downsides... The stainless steel bezel is a little too shiny for me (some kinda matte wouldve looked cooler). Perhaps the metal version of this watch mentioned in the other reviews actually has the matte finish. I will try uploading a few photos of this watch for comparison if allowed. The watch is otherwise very good except for the thickness of the case, which is a little too much for my wrists. The exact measurements being 1.5cm thick and 4 cm wide for my 5cm wide wrists.

This wouldve been the perfect watch if only it was 5mm thinner... i suggest u measure my given dimensions against ur wrist size before buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, scratches easily, August 10, 2009
I really like the appearance and the utility of this watch. The big downside is that the face scratches easily. I had the watch for only a couple days and there are already some visible scratches. That being said, if you are looking for a stylish but functional watch and can deal with some scuffs, its a good watch.

UPDATE:
As I mentioned, the watch scratches very easily, but I was able to buff the scratches out with toothpaste and toothbrush, then put two light coats of clear semi-gloss varnish on the watch face. This covered the scratches and hardened the face and therefore upgraded the watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor construction - you get what you pay for (or maybe even less), September 25, 2009
I purchased this watch in July '09. I wore it for 1 week and then one day it simply fell off my wrist. The point on the watch casing where the pin holding the wristband is inserted had snapped off. It appears that the hole for the pin had weakened the structural integrity of the watch casing at this point. Mind you, I'm not wearing this watch on a construction site or exposing it to any undue abuse or stress - I'm sitting in front of a computer most of the day. Anyway, I sent the broken watch off to Casio for repair, figuring it must be under warranty. Unfortunately the repair estimate came back from Casio for $46.00 - the watch casing is NOT covered under the warranty. My week-old watch had cost me $29.99 on Amazon, so it'd be cheaper to buy a new one, which I will NOT do, after this experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool looking resin band Casio, June 2, 2006
Also check my review for AQ160WD1BV, the metallic version.

I own both. In terms of functionality and features, both the metal and resin band versions are exactly the same.

This resin band version looks little bit different, because of the black resin band, and a black ring above the dial as opposed to metallic ring. Given a choice i would choose the metallic version of this watch. But the resin band is very cool. Its lighter weight, the dial is slightly thinner.

This watch has world time, countdown timer, stopwatch, snooze alarm, everything you ever want, except

1) Solar power

2) Automatic time setting (waveceptor)

It also has the illuminator.

I would recommend this watch to anyone who is looking for a cool looking resin band casio.

One slight potential problem is, if you have a wide wrist, then this watch may not be for you. The resin band is not long enough for think wrists.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good item but scratches easily., June 11, 2009
If you are a buyer looking to buy this watch know that when many people complain about the scratches that they aren't talking in vain. Other than that is functions well, and has all the bells and whistles I needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It lasted about two weeks., September 12, 2008
harry715 (VA United States) - See all my reviews
The reason is a broken band anchor, as also mentioned in a previous review. It happened while I was taking the watch off. The plastic on the watch that holds the anchor pin broke away. I don't think that the pressure I exerted that caused this was that extreme. I believe that the quality of the plastic wasn't good enough for normal use. I do not recommend it.

Casio Men's Sport Watch