Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's W753-3AV Sport Watch with Black Resin Band
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 14, 2007
I decided I wanted a decent-sized yachting watch with the tide shown on it as I thought it would be handy for sailing. I looked around and discovered there are huge differences in prices for watches and as I couldn't justify spending much, after some study I ended up choosing the Casio Sea Pathfinder. Now I don't know much about brands but I do know that Casio isn't a cool brand but, hey, getting this much watch for less than twenty pounds, I couldn't complain. The Amazon price was significantly cheaper than prices in the various chandlery mail order catalogues (now there's a surprise!). Please note there is a blue strap version (the one I chose) and black strap or silver strap versions which I think are the same watch (at least the same innards) but slightly different visually.

So, what's the watch like? Firstly, I'm a woman (albeit a large one!) and some men's watches look ridiculous. This one is fine, it's got a large face but not enormously so and a curved glass top so it feels smooth. There are four large buttons, two either side, which are easy to press. The main display (usually the time) is easy to see and very clear, the tidal and lunar displays less so, although you get used to reading the watch face.

There are a number of different modes including time, dual time (i.e. two different time zones), moon (how many days into the moon), 5 alarms, stopwatch and countdown timer. Interestingly I've found myself using the countdown timer when cooking (rather than a normal cooking pinger) because it's very easy to set. In fact all of the options on the watch are easy to set - once you've found out your lunitudinal interval. This mystery number helps the watch know the tidal states but the little instruction book that comes with the watch only gives general lunitudinal interval locations, such as 'London'. Armed with a set of tide tables and the watch, I discovered that London is significantly different to Eastbourne (Sovereign Harbour) tidal times. The thing I hadn't realised before buying this watch is that you can dial in the date and time and it will tell you the tide at that point, it doesn't just tell you the tide right now, so I was able to check the calculations up till December this year. Eventually, after some googling, I found a table of lunitudinal intervals along the South Coast of England. It didn't include Eastbourne but did have some other locations and, with a little trial and error, I managed to find the best lunitudinal interval which meant my watch tides agreed mostly with the Tide Table tides. And so far the tidal display seems reasonably accurate - it's nowhere near good enough to use for sailing planning but is a helpful quick check when you're thinking about walking on the beach (will the dog be able to play in the rock pools or will they be covered up?) and for general interest.

Being a digital watch it does have the unfortunate problem that when wearing polarising sunglasses (as I do when sailing) it's hard to make out the LCD display, but this is also true for the log, depth display, radar etc on the boat and isn't the fault of the watchmaker, just something to bear in mind.

Battery life is supposedly 10 years but most people will be bored with the watch by then and have moved onto the next one. The light lights up the face in the dark (what more do you need), the beeps for the alarms are loud enough to wake me, the watch overall seems perfectly adequate and it looks good. I think if I'd paid fifty pound I would have been very happy, for less than twenty it's a complete bargain. Go for it!
on August 21, 2013
I Like this watch but if you have the money buy a better one. NOW... I bought this watch for a couple of reasons. 1. I want a watch with a rubber wrist band. 2. water resistant up to 100m. 3. I want a watch with a good light. This watch as all these items,,, but I don't like the small day and date. For the price ... a good watch! I like it. Don't Love, I like it.
on September 5, 2013
Great watch, does not come with any instructions on how to work the very many functions the watch has. Would be very helpful to know how to use the timer function!
on March 20, 2014
I use it for sailing, specifically to time the start. The rolling countdown with quick synch up to 1 and 5 minute are easy and work great. The buttons are shaped well enough that they don't get accidentally pushed when trimming sails or working around the boat. Nothing fancy, but it totally does its job at an excellent price point. If it had bigger numbers it would be even better.
on June 10, 2015
Watch is crapy but the price says it. I hate setting the time and other settings on these. Moon phases or high tide I think you have to set. I was hoping it was going to be something automatic. So I got to understand how all of this works to use it. I just don't want to be on a jedi and trapped out there because I didn't know what high tide was or when it was going to occur. You can get this info from a newspaper I guess too but then you have to buy a newspaper all the time. Got the stop watch feature to work. There is an alarm setting too. The moon phases and tide I have no clue but need to understand and use directions. I don't see a spot for AM PM either. I think the battery might be low and I got it today or as soon as it came. I can't make out the symbol I see though. I think it is a battery and appears empty. Again I got to check the directions. Some of these watches have a big face and kind of sticks up high on your wrist. Thick like display. I am not too fond of this. //A slight upgrade here noting it has some cool features like tilt to light, 5 alarms, on hour beeping, .. The band is green and advertised as black. Looks green in the sun light. Sure is a pain to set but am reading through the book. Not easy to figure out unless you know this watch or read the book.
on December 28, 2015
For the purpose of the occasional run or to have a simple watch to have at work (in a hospital) this watch is perfect. The stop watch and countdown timers as well as multiple alarms are great functions to have, as are the automatic light, bu the interface is a little funky. I often got it to do what I wanted by pure luck. Does that mean that the "user interface" is intuitive or I'm just lucky? Not sure.. I also really like the design. Other features such as the tide graph were far less useful to me.

The big drawback for me, though, is that the "10-year battery" lasted two. It actually lasted less...There are several times in which the display was significantly dimmed but restored to useful darkness after shaking the watch.

So now I'm on the market for a new watch. Great to have a 10-year battery on a watch with a 1-year warranty!

For the price, though, it's not a piece of crap and is a stylish, useful watch to get you through most activities.
on May 25, 2015
Got this for my 9 year old boy. Fits just fine, is a little big for his wrist but he is really into surfing and always wants to know what the tide is going. He wears it 24/7 and sets his alarm on it. He loves it. It's the second Casio he's had (he had the Casio Forrester model before with the tide and he loved it but lost it and it was more expensive and trickier for a child to use so this one works as a great replacement as it is a little ore simple). I might buy myself one if they make s different color at some point.
on January 21, 2015
Wife of 40 plus years knows I use several different watches when working or playing outdoors. When she read about the Casio Mens W753-3AV Watch shortly before Chistmas she knew one more to the collection was necessary. She purchased the Casio watch, along with another Casio watch for a grandson, and both of us are very happy with our watches. This Casio provides a lot more information than just date and time as my Luminox, therfore; I wear the Casio frequently and have just about learned to retrieve all the information it will povide-even better than I have on my 'smart' phone.
on May 8, 2013
A little on the thick side, this is another good looking product from Casio. I will have to learn all of the functions that this piece has for such a reasonable price!
Pros: Casio durability, nice band, pretty display, many functions, center light button.
Cons: Light comes on from left side only and illuminates only the time/date display area. Just a wee bit thick.

This will be perfect for my upcoming vacation to the islands!
on July 25, 2014
Returned the watch. When setting the "Day" feature to appear on the face of the watch, the days of the week in abbreviated form did not appear in the "set mode" to scroll through to set the current day. Instead, numbers from 1 to around 40 appeared, so there is no way of knowing what day I was setting. For that reason I returned the watch. Not as large an issue, but the watch was smaller than I expected. Even though I looked at the scale provided it still appeared smaller once on my wrist. Nonetheless, I would have kept it had it not been for the crazy setting malfunction. I have had good experience with Casio watches in the past, so this watch was a surprise.