Published on March 10, 2009 by Ricky Gonzalez

1.0 out of 5 stars poor design
Published on August 24, 2010 by jeffo

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Men's Waveceptor Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch #WVA470J-1ACF, March 10, 2009
I have had two Casio wave cepter watches and this one is the better. You never have to set this watch, solar powered, which lasts months without any sunlight, and water proof. Looks great also! The only small downfall for this watch is it's crystal......it does seem to scratch a little easy. The crystal is glass, some other casio's have plexi-glass crystal which scrathes very easy. The best is the saphire crystal, which as of now only comes with the Casio Oceanus line of watches. (terrific line of watches)

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusing Manual But Don't Fret!, February 25, 2009
Casio Men's Waveceptor Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch #WVA470J-1ACF

Love the watch-now. Because the manual is often not clear, it took quite a while to set up. AMAZON was no help. Whey I contact them to get Casio's Tech number the only number they had was for a distributor. Casio's website allows you to send e-mails with a standard response- download the manual. BUT after quite a bit of digging I found the number- write this down- Casio Tech Support: 1-800-435-7732, choose Option 3.
The response is prompt and the tech support staff is courteous and helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor design, August 24, 2010
I purchased this watch in April. At first, I loved my purchase. The watch works exactly as expected. I never had to set it and the time has always been correct. It has a lot of style and functionality. However, in early August, while washing my hands, the watch broke across the plastic between the face and the band. I sent it to Casio for repairs fully expecting it to be covered. After several phone calls and a few repair estimates, I was told that it would cost 3/4 of the price of the watch to repair because the damage is a "band" issue and not covered under the warrantee. One representative stated that the band likely broke because I tightened it too much which a physical impossibility as the area that broke is not mobile. I have bought several Casio watches before this and have been happy up until now. For the watch to brake in the way it did within a few months of purchase, it is either a design flaw in the watch or a defective watch. I was very surprised when Casio not only did not cover the repair but was going to charge such a large amount to fix it. I fear that the quality of Casio watches is declining and I'm certainly not going to purchase from them again. In fact, I would advise others against buying this product as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waveceptor analog, January 28, 2009
The watch has a very sensitive receiver that sets the time every night without having to put the watch by a window as the instructions indicate. The solar cell charges the battery with normal daily activity. The date and day of week panel is very legible.
The only negative is how easily the crystal scratches. I don't even know what scratched it but it had a couple of scratches in a few days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but... >>>UPDATE<<<, August 5, 2009
C. Smith (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
Okay, I JUST received this watch yesterday. So, maybe things will change. First off, I love Casio watches. Good, and sometimes very cheap. Fun to buy and fun to wear and very accurate. This watch is beautiful. Nice domed crystal and attractive face. Precise hand movements and the hands are good quality compared to cheaper Casios. I love the band. It feels nicer and higher quality than cheaper Casios. One really nice aspect is that the end of the band (not the buckle end) has a little bulbous thickening at the end so it kind of snaps through the band loop and it retained. Nice quality touch.

(See Update below) Now, my only complaint so far, the radio seems weaker than my other atomic solar (G-Shock MT-G). The MT-G sets itself without fail even if I am wearing it at night and it is under my pillow in my bedroom - through 3 thick old-school plaster walls in a brick house in eastern Ohio. Strong.... This one seems less sensitive. I tried several times to synch it last night with errors each time - side by side my MT-G synched with no problem. Auto-synch over night failed too. This morning I got it to do a manual synch right around dawn. Since these quartz movements are so accurate, syncing every few days should keep it within a second or two. But that is NOT why you buy a waveceptor. You buy this watch to geek out on perfect time and reliable syncing. Maybe it will be better on a clear night, last night had a lot of clouds.

Overall, very nice watch. Very attractive and higher quality as expected from price compared to the $20 Casios. Waveceptor works, but not as sensitive as other models.

>>>>> Update <<<<< : Initial sync problems is resolved. It turns out that the battery was on MID charge. Although it was supposed ot have full function at MID, after charging to HI, sync works every night now. Solid watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seen but not heard., September 12, 2009
I have been looking for a long time for a replacement watch for my trusty, rugged 10-year-old G-Shock Digital. It still keeps time but it's really beat up. And since I often stay at hotels or nap in my car, I have been feeling the need for a new watch with a dependable alarm feature...preferably one with a snooze. So after much research, I ordered the WaveCepSolar. With its handsome, elegant quality and the sweep second hand, it's a real beauty! And not having to set/change time or batteries is simply the bomb! But its alarm function turned out to be a real joke! Very disappointing. When the alarm sounds, there's a tiny, barely audible tone (very faint and muted which lasts for only ten seconds then shuts off automatically) which wouldn't wake the lightest sleeper. I seriously doubt a dog more than 10 feet away could hear it. If expecting the alarm to remind me of an important meeting or objective while in a noisy work environment, forget it. I couldn't even hear it go off. I returned the watch for refund and am still looking for a replacement for my trusty, rugged ole G-Shock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio addict; dumbfounded once again!, May 3, 2012
J. Tate (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I'm an avid fan of Casio watches. In fact, I refuse all other brands. This watch is replacing my old Casio WVA58A waveceptor (digital, resin). I work for an airline, so I always need my watch to be exact to the seconds place. Waveceptor fits my bill, but wait.. this one is solar, analog, modern, sleek, and absolutely beautiful? You bet.

Don't bother with the printed manual as heeded by other reviewers. Just download their website's pdf manual. It takes about 15-20 mins to become acquainted, set up your home city, and have a basic understanding of the functionalities within.

When you first open the box, please look at the face of the watch. Sit there, take in what you just saw, and be amazed. This watch is one high tech piece. I don't know who is doing the programming, but I'd like to give them a high five for this one. I love the auto-setting capability. It amazes me every time. If you are a frequent traveler, don't sweat. It takes about 15 seconds to change your home city to a neighboring time zone, or if you are just having a flight connection or something you can just use the world time feature to have that current time displayed in the digital section of the face.

I'm going to personally get the zagg shield as recommended by others. This thing is too precious to me now that I have it to go and get it scratched up. Some reviewers complained of the second hand being off the marks a little. I did not receive a watch that was off. It hits the markings with extreme precision.

If you are a fan of Casio watches, or if you are looking for something that is 100% automatic down to the bones... this is your watch, friend!

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, June 15, 2009
Liked this watch at first. Keeps excellent time, nice looking. But after 2.5 months, moisture started appearing under the glass. Too bad. Now I have to send it off for repair, at my expense, and have no watch for who knows how long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, August 19, 2009
I bought this watch couple months ago and use it very often. First of all the price is very reasonable and with amazon return policy you can't go wrong. I have few watches so this isn't my first one.
One thing about 'atomic' watches is that they have to be at cetain place to synchronize, but this one has very sensitive receiver and synchronizes everyday.
It has a lot of built-in functions some of them useless for me like 3 alarms because they aren't laud enough. Other like having other time zones, day date and you don't have to change the battery.
The sequence of initial setting is in wrong order in the manual. You have to set the daylight saving in your city before you select it as you local time zone, but this is minor. It is very accrate of course and light weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, a few complaints, July 1, 2011
This is the second Casio Wave-Ceptor watch I purchased. I have an older Casio G-Shock Wave-Ceptor that I purchased ?? years ago. It is all digital, does not have the analog hands; also, it's THICK -- twice as thick as this watch.

I purchased this watch because of the analog time display and the sweep second hand. I'm an EMT and I need a watch with a sweep second hand to use in taking pulse and respiration rates. Trying to count pulse beats or breathes while watching a digital dial count the seconds is confusing. With a sweep second hand, you don't have to keep track of the seconds, just watch the position of the sweep second hand.

Things I like about this watch:
-- analog display
-- sweep second hand
-- glow-in-the-dark hands really do glow in the dark, no need of a backlight to tell time in the dark
-- no need to set the watch or change batteries

Things I don't like about the watch:
-- The watch has four silver buttons that select mode, change settings, and the like. The labels for these buttons are on the BACK of the watch. You must take the watch off and turn it over to see which button to press to change mode from, say, timekeeping to set the alarm. Not that I do this very often but labels on the front would be helpful -- every other digital watch I have seen is labeled on the front.
-- The instruction book is tiny and comes folded. It's a real pain to try to read the little book, then, try to make it lie open so you can work your way through a set of instructions. Fortunately, Casio has made the instructions available on the web where you can print out the instructions on regular paper, making them much easier to read.
-- For some reason, Casio molded a little bump into the tip end of the band. When you put the watch on, you wrap the band around your wrist and push the loosed end of the band through a typical keeper on the other half of the band. When you remove the watch from your wrist, the little "bump" on the free end catches in the keeper and you have to wrestle with the band to get the damn thing off!!

Having said all this, I like the watch and am pleased with it -- but I still don't know how to set an alarm!!

Casio Men's Waveceptor Watch