5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch that fulfills reasonable expectations
-See comments below for update!-

After being on the edge for a long time, I bit the bullet and purchased the PAG240. I am happy with it for the most part :)

Rather than do a full review, here are some observations/details to supplement other reviews:

Published on January 25, 2011 by Arthas

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing features
I bought this watch as a replacement for TIMEX Data Watch (Had for 6 years and loved that watch $65--just wanted something new). Thought the sensor features of the pathfinder would be neat.

Good:
All the sensors are fun to use and work as advertised. You do have to adjust but knew this up front.
Big letters which are great for 50+ eyesight...
Published on February 4, 2012 by tttet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch that fulfills reasonable expectations, January 25, 2011
Arthas "arthurqx641" (San Luis Obispo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's PAG240-1CR "Pathfinder" Triple Sensor Multi-Function Sport Watch (Watch)
-See comments below for update!-

-Pictures don't do the watch justice! Look at one in person if you can, or search Youtube. Far from being obnoxiously flashy, it has a handsome utilitarian/rugged look to it. In my opinion, silver pathfinders try to look pricier and will attract more attention, including unwanted ones. If you want full functionality, go with this.

-The watch weighs ~60g/2.12oz. That's 24 modern American pennies, or ~11 American quarters. The entire face (including side buttons) has the same diameter as the top lip of a standard soda can. I wear it every day without noticing its weight or size.
-It has an optional (default on) power save mode which turns off the display after 60-70 min of inactivity. This will only activate between 10PM-6AM. Simply tilting the watch a bit will wake it up.
-The timer can be set for hours/minutes (not seconds). The timer can count down from 24 hours.
-The sunrise/sunset mode makes good use of the overlay LCD slices.
-The compass can be adjusted for magnetic declination (1°resolution) and calibrated with bidirectional and northerly. It can also store an angle in memory.
-The display is crisp when viewed full on. It becomes hard to read at extreme angles.
-The rotating bezel rotates very fluidly. It's secured tightly to the face and won't slip once you set it.
-The alarm is soft, but uses a high pitched frequency (sorta like a smoke detector). I had no trouble hearing it wearing headphones playing music.
-Buttons are easily accessible and require a full push to register. Only time will tell whether they'll pop out and run for freedom like my old Ironman's...The light button is a little hard to find by touch in the dark, even with the helpful ... guide bumps below it.

-About the altimeter- altitude is calculated using temperature and atmospheric pressure data. The manual suggests placing the watch where temperature is stable during the trip. Short of GPS, there is no way for sensors to accurately measure altitude. This mode is good for relative measurements at best and requires calibration on site before each use.
-Altitude data can be stored automatically every 5 sec (for 1 hr) or 2 min intervals (for 1 day). The data is recorded only when you stay in the altimeter mode. Every time you exit the mode, it accumulates the max/min ascent/descent statistics to the current stored data. You can also store 25 manual measurements.

I was seriously torn between this watch, the PAG40, PAG80, and the PAW1300 series.
-The PAG40 uses regular batteries (good!) but had no timer (dealbreaker).
-The PAG80 has all of PAG240's features (+extra memory), but no rotating bezel, and the color scheme was undesirable (dealbreaker)
-The PAG1300 has multi-zone atomic timekeeping (good), is slimmer (good!), but loses the cool dual LCD (dealbreaker).

Hope this helps!

-UPDATE-
After wearing this watch two and a half years, I must say I am still very pleased with it! It has been immersed in water countless times, dropped and abused, and everything works fine. I found the sunrise/sunset, stopwatch, and timer functions to be used most.

The plastic case has gotten scratched quite a bit but it is not noticeable because it's black. The glass face is still pristine. The original wrist strap is still going strong. All of the buttons have stayed in!! The battery meter shows "High", so solar aspect works well.

I'm hoping a good many more years of use from this watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Almost Lives Up To The Hype, December 10, 2010
I just received this as a gift yesterday and thought I'd post my initial impressions. Should anything change drastically I will post updates later:

I spent about 2 hours yesterday reading the manual, customizing the settings, and playing with all of the functions. I then used it all day at work, and came home today. Here's my rundown...

World Clock - 4.5/5 Has one city for every time zone (or UTC offset, however you want to think about it), being near Washington D.C. I have to set my city code to "New York", besides that it has a very convenient feature of showing UTC time initially when moving to World Time mode, this is great for all those military and government types always wondering what Zulu time is! Would like to have a couple more cities per time zone.

Sunrise/Sunset Time - 5/5 Works great, once you change your lat/long settings for your current location, times are within a couple minutes of any other information I could find online. No issues.

Compass - 4.5/5 Using my informal test, the compass seemed to be more or less accurate. Would probably get you out of a sticky situation if needed.

Altimeter - 2/5 Out of the box this stated I was about 420 ft above sea level, I am in fact only about 30. I told it my correct altitude as per the manual yesterday, today after coming home from work I checked it again and it now states that I am about 120 feet above sea level, sitting on the same couch. I'll try setting my own value again and see what happens. I guess as long as it's accurate within a hundred feet or so that's not bad for being on a watch. Shirely I wouldn't start landing a 747 off of its advice, but not bad.

**update** So far no matter how many times I set the correct value the watch will be hundreds of feet off a day later. I'll contact Casio to see what they say.

Barometer/Thermometer - The baroemter reading was almost exactly what weather.com told me the value was for my area. The thermometer seems accurate provided you give it a few minutes off your wrist to get an accurate reading. I might do some research and return with barometer impressions.

General Display and Function - 5/5 The dial is pretty big and has a lot of information. It is easy to scroll through the different modes and feels very solid. You can definitely take this out to the field or camping and not have to worry about it holding up. Not too big that I feel like I can't wear it every day.

Solar Battery Function - 5/5 I've been playing with my watch off and on for a full day, and have hit the illumination button quite a few times and the battery indicator hasn't moved off of "high" yet.

Closing Comments - The only thing this watch is missing is the atomic clock syncing, it's up to you if that's worth the extra $100 or so. Buttons are large and easy to press, quality is great, and everything works as advertised. This watch has more functions and memory storage spaces than I think the geekiest person can really use to its fully potential I'm not that much of an adventurer but I think this will serve me well traversing the urban jungles and the occasional state park. I replaced a $40 Timex Ironman that performed basic functions flawlessly. Hopefully this lives up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, January 13, 2011
I have had a lot of watches in my time, and this one has a lot to offer. I don't have any problems with the size, I've never had the pinching that some talk about, and I know the altimeter is going to fluctuate with the barometric pressure (basic science). The main aspect that I love is that you can see the barometric trend graph in timekeeping mode. I can just look down and figure out if the weather will be fair or not. As a runner, I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch that functions better for running, so I'm not beholden to the chronograph or countdown time. I am glad I have them on this watch though. I missed having a countdown timer on my last watch. I still use a military lensatic compass when orienteering, but in a pinch, this compass will get you out of a jam. Sunrise/sunset, temperature sensor, alarms, automatic tilt lighting, all work just fine. I'm very happy with this product and would recommend it to others. With solar power, it may be the last watch I ever own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, February 22, 2011
I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by this watch. I've been put off other ABC watches due to their weight and inelegant bulk on the wrist; this is the first watch I'd be happy to wear on a daily basis. Personally I'm not sure about the styling of the two yellow buttons on the front of the case, but that's up to you. As you'd expect from a Casio, the build quality is fine - you're not wearing an expensive Swiss timepiece, but a brand which nevertheless seems to have bourne the brunt of time well.

All the basic functions work well, accurately and are reasonably intuitive to use. The ABC functions were the greatest surprise. One of the other reviewers said he wouldn't land a 747 with this watch. Well I fly 777s for a living and not that you'd be advised to (and of course allowing for a few other variables, not least an unpressurised cabin, etc,) this watch is just about accurate enough to let you do it. I've worn it all over the world in the few months I've had it in all sorts of wildly different temperatures and conditions, and its altimetry is superb, especially as it's in no way supposed to be a precision instrument. Not just close enough, but absolutely dead on - perhaps I've got a freak example, I still can't accept how accurate it seems to be - so far.

The sunrise/sunset feature works well, I like the ability to show two time zones simultaneously - in fact there's not much I dislike. I supposed I'd have liked the stopwatch to be capable of more than 24 hours, and the alarms (there are five) could be louder - they're not quiet, but easy to miss in a noisy environment. It's unobtrusive enough for daily use, and I've given it a good hammering windsurfing with no problems to date. The price seems good on Amazon: I strongly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect watch ?, June 9, 2012
D. gravlee (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
this is my third pathfinder.

i had the model before this one and loved it until the battery died.

this one is solar powered HELLO !!!

i feel that the altimeter/barometer is much more accurate than the previous version.

I have worn this watch on many long dirt bike / enduro trips all over the world. Baja, costa rica, peru, cambodia, america, china and borneo.

[...]

The world time comes in handy for me.

sorry i have to say this again.. SOLAR POWER , never have to worry about the battery going dead somewhere in the MOFNowhere ever again..

the rubber strap never stinks (try that with a cloth band...) i have plenty of arm hair and it has never pulled it out unlike the metal bands that ive had on some watches. i have bashed this thing on rocks/trees during motorcycle crashes and general riding, its been sprayed with 100% Deet quite a few times and has shrugged that stuff off with only minor melting on the sides of the case (ive had other watches that basically turn into a puddle of non-functional black goo... Timex Ironman, Suunto), its been in deserts for days jammed with sand, mud, cold , hot, rain, saltwater. i was welding the other day and some of the hot metal spray landed on the crystal which only left 3 tiny specs on the face of the clear crystal which is amazing. you name it this thing can take it. lastly, there are no internal mechanical movements or dials to fail or get knocked out-of-whack. this watch is perfect.

the screen is super huge, easy to read, clearly laid out.

the auto-light is perfect for motorcyclists/mtn.bikers because all you have to do is raise your arm , look at the watch and the light automatically turns on (you dont have to take your other hand off of the handlebars to press the light button... AWESOME!).

at home i use it while cutting single track motorcycle trails in the deep woods of alabama. the compass and bearing lock function are great tools.

only thing i dont like about the watch is the way that the split time stopwatch function works (lap timer).

if you are a true Pathfinder then THIS is the watch for you my friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing features, February 4, 2012

Good:
Big letters which are great for 50+ eyesight.

Bad:
I depend on my wrist watch for wakeup alarm. Very disappointed. Alarm is barely audible and I'm a VERY light sleeper. In addition is only goes off for a few seconds (5-7), then shuts off and does not repeat.
The band strap does not have a notch to keep the excess band from sliding out of the loop. Most cheaper watches have these.

Great watch if you wear just for sports, running or outdoors. Too big and bulky and very limited alarm functionality. For the cost of this watch, I expected better basic functions. I wear a cheap dress watch to work and only wear the pathfinder when playing outside.
Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE BEST, May 18, 2011
Other reviews have cited this watches innumerable functions, so I will skip that.
First it should be noted that while I love Suunto compasses on my sail boat, this watch puts their watches to shame.

Materials: Mineral crystal, rather than plastic. A tough plastic body that really handles the outdoors.

Water resistance: Suunto has 100 feet, which means in watch talk that you should be careful washing your hands. That is not enough to use even in a pool. Casio is 330 feet, which is fine for swimming. It is not however a dive watch.

Barometer function: Amazingly functional to predict storms. I was in Guatamala and it would predict storms even on cloudless days. Hours later the storm would hit (one was a VERY serious storm). And vise versa: dark cloudy morning and a prediction of a good day. My associates asked how on earth I was able to predict the weather so accurately. I confess that I told them.

Needs NO battery. Powered by solar. I have had mine for two years and it still runs great with never a battery to go out while you are on an expedition.

This watch has it all and is built to last. There simply is no other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch!, October 11, 2010
You know, i ordered quite a few watches before getting this one. I wish i wouldn't have wasted my time. This is a fantastic watch. Great big, bright, visible face. Love the compass, barometer, and altimeter functions. Can't ask for anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected~~, December 26, 2010
DailyCarry (Kansas City, Missouri) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch as an everyday wearer. I wanted a tough easy to use, and well thought out ABC Watch. I looked at buying a Suunto Core but couldn't justify spending 250 on a watch with such mixed reviews on quality and the risk of a scratched face due to poor product design. Typically I buy dive watches with steel bands and have come accustomed to wearing them but what I was looking for in this watch was:

-ruged sensors from a well known brand
-excellent readability
-bright backlight
-stopwatch
-countdown timer
-world timer for when I travel
-water resistance
-solar power

I have now had the watch for a week and must say, I have alot things I LOVE about this watch, especially the titl-to light sensor that when I look at the watch in the dark it automatically lights up for my view. I also like the altimeter, barometer and compass functions that add to it's usability. The fit and finish is excellent. The buttons are easy to use even with a glove on and it has become one of my favorite watches for everyday where.... so far my favorite everyday watch is the Invicta 9937.

I paid [...] for the Casio Pathfinder at Amazon, with free shipping. Hard to beat that!

Update: [9-16-2011] - OK, so I am a bit of a watch snob, and have to admit, this watch helped me get over that. It is comfortable, easy to use, once you take the time to familiarize yourself with all of it's features (which are PLENTY). It is now my everyday watch that see's wrist time, 4 out of 5 days a week. If it's not on my wrist its a toss up between my R()lex, or my P@nerai models.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Functions and Accurate, August 15, 2011
Dr. Dave (Orange County, Ca) - See all my reviews
After looking through countless Casio watches I decided on the Pathfinder PAG240-1CR due to the compass and barometric pressure sensor as well as the look. I really like the size of the watch, it's much bigger than my Mudman G-shock so if you're looking for a big watch this will fit the bill. The compass is pretty much right on as well, I hike a lot and always carry a compass but it's nice to have a backup if I lose my pack or something. As others have said the thermometer is accurate but you need to remove it from your wrist to get a accurate reading. If you're swimming it doesn't need to be removed and gives an accurate temp of the water you are in.

Overall I love this watch and wear it everyday, it's very sturdy. If you are looking for a good quality watch with tons of features this Pathfinder is definitely worth considering.