Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's PAG240-8 Pathfinder Triple Sensor Tough Solar Digital Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 10, 2012
**1 YR UPDATE**
Buy the darn watch! Seriously, I'd give it 6 stars if I could. I am pretty hard on this watch, taking it through mountains, snow, rain, and close quarters. I'm constantly hitting the glass on corners of metal tables and everything else I run into (literally, I'm clumsy). I use this watch to tell me how close I am to the top of mountains I'm driving over, or whether those rain clouds are coming at me or not. I use this watch daily and love it. I would not think twice about this watch.

Throw out that craptastic rubber band though and get yourself a zulu band

**6 MO UPDATE**

Six months has gone by and I've been tough on this watch. I've left it in the window all day and came back to a piping hot watch. I've taken it to the desert. I live in the Oregon valley and just went through our tropical winter/spring with it. I'm constantly dinging the glass on corners of things and smashing the face of the watch against whatever I so fall into (I'm clumsy). The watch looks new, save for one mark where I dropped it three floors onto concrete; that fall raised a spot on the side it hit. You can barely notice. This watch will last the rest of my life I assume.

-----------------------

So I'll go ahead and admit that it took me almost two days to get the whole watch figured out, there is a 100+ page instruction manual to absorb. But the payoff is saweet! You will need to calibrate everything, bear that in mind. The temp, baro, alt, comp decl, time, world time, date, auto light, etc.. all have calibration/adjustments that should be made. Sounds daunting? It's not, if you read the manual.

The temp sensor is MAX{+/- 0.6}C at all times; I've verified it a dozen times in my laboratory. The baro is MAX{+/- 0.05}in/Hg and has successfully predicted the weather since I bought it. The compass is exactly in line with my two other high-end hiking classical compasses (if you can stabilize yourself that well, it is on your wrist most the time). The altitude is not very good. I have to calibrate the altitude locally and per trip, otherwise large variations occur. When calibrated though, the altitude is MAX{+/- 40}ft, with most measurement errors being +20ft (systematic it seems, likely due to calculation method).

The construction of the watch is solid, with a very reflective and clear mineral glass top. There are no complaints on the construction of the watch at all. However, Resin bands are the dumbest thing ever to be put on a watch. I want to sucker-punch whoever made that decision in watch history. Seriously, for the love of science STOP putting resin bands on watches! Anyhow, buy a PAW1500GB Cover/End Piece Set for this watch and throw a Zulu band on it if you hate Resin bands as much as me.

One last comment about viewing the watch; some have complained. This watch is made for outdoors and as such has a reflective dual layer display. The numbers reflect metallic, not black, in low light. This seems to throw off people in the comments. It is 110% perfect for its job and I will not be buying any other style from this point on. You have to adjust your eyes a bit indoors on the first/second day. After that, it is the most efficient watch viewing experience you can have.

Overall, this is a smoking deal, and an all around great watch. I'd recommend it for the price and I would burn that POS resin band in the fire!! and get a Nylon band for this watch.

***BOTTOM LINE***
It's worth it for any outdoor enthusiast hands-down. Everything works great, except the altimeter which just works ok<->good.
55 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2011
I've been eyeing this watch for quite sometime, and just couldn't justify the 200 dollar price, but low and behold amazon dropped the price to 149.99 and I had to pull the trigger on this one. First off I already owned a Suunto Core all black model and that watch is very accurate with it's readings; HOWEVER, that accuracy comes at a price. The Suunto (although pretty)is just not a tough field watch, has weak water resistance of claimed 30 meters, and it eats batteries (10-12 months with heavy use). Honestly a tough field watch that doesn't need batteries, 100 meter water resistance, and gives almost as accurate readings as the Suunto and costs 100 bucks less! Hell yes, a no-brainer decision here folks. Plus, the watch is freakishly cool looking (IMHO much better than the Suunto, but that's a matter of personal taste). The double crystal and orange background color does make the display seem washed out, but this is only at certain angles (in bright to normal lighting I notice no issues, and I set the auto-light to on to assist with low lighting situations). Honestly I don't even consider this to be an issue (the Suunto core all black is waaayyyyy worse to read-trust me!). If you are even thinking about an ABC watch, you can't beat this one for the money.....JUST BUY IT ALREADY!!!!
review image review image review image
1313 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
This is my first Pathfinder and I am impressed.
I agree with other reviewers that indoors it can be hard to see the display.
That does not take away from this watch.

Likes:1)Very user friendly took me 20 min to set it up.Manual was easy to read and understand.
I also liked the color and the backlight is not overly bright as to blind you at night.
2)Solar powered, no worries about a battery going dead at the wrong time.

3)Buttons are large and one can operate them with gloves on.

4)Compass is pretty accurate,I would not use it to call for artillery but if you are lost and without a lensatic compass this will get you going in the right direction.One can also adjust the compass if they believe it is off.It is important to have it level with the horizon.

5)Altimeter is accurate I live in the mountains and it was dead on.

6)Barometer is fairly accurate also.
Note:Barometer and Altimeter can be set for Metric if one desires.

Dislikes:Temp can take a while to adjust if one goes outdoors.It took 30 mins to adjust from 70 degrees F to 25 deg f.When I went outside in the cold.
The compass stays on for a short time then reverts to time mode.

Overall:For me I'm very satisfied with this watch it is light weight easy to operate and rugged enough for hard use.I was debating between this watch or a Suunto Core I'm happy with my choice and have no regrets.
on February 3, 2012
On the basis of other positive reviews for this watch, I was under the impression that the 'washout' of the watch display is barely an issue. That is not the case at all - in most situations indoors, day or night, it is not possible to see the time unless you get the angle of the watch correct. It is far from effortless to simply look at the time - you need to position the watch at the correct angle to see it clearly, or use the light. The auto -light does work, but you need to hold the watch at a certain angle for it to activate. To help clarify what the display looks like indoors, imagine a watch that has a low battery - it is like that. Faded and only visible at certain angles. I am disappointed that other positive reviews suggested that you should buy this watch - the most basic requirement (to see the time) is barely met. It does have all the bells and whistles that make it useful and appealing. However, you can't read the display in the rain, indoors, or in the shower for example.

It is a nice looking watch, with great features, but don't convince yourself that the washed out display is not going to bother you. Everytime you look at the watch, and reposition it at a funny angle, you may question whether the $150 could have been better spent. I certainly am. As another example, if you wish to make use of the compass feature, and it is raining, you will constantly have to press the back light in order to see the reading.

I haven't used this in bright outdoor sunlight yet so I am sure that it is very clear in those situations. But in every other setting, it is disappointing.
on March 8, 2012
The display is slightly hard to read but it's not *that* bad and shouldn't deter anyone.

The watch is terrific. I work as a ship captain and do a lot of scuba diving. I wanted something that was near bullet proof but loaded with features. Particularly, and for anyone in the maritime world, the barometer graph is sitting right on the main display showing the trend over the last 24 hours. For me a dropping barometer is about as important as anything else. The barometer is also very accurate.

Built well, looks good, lots of features. Took me a few minutes to go through the guide and set everything up properly. Another note for mariners or pilots (or anyone covering a lot of distance routinely) is that the sunrise/sunset data and time zones are set via a city code for the time zone and a lat/long for the sunrise sunset. Short of GPS I'm not sure there's a better way to do this (and GPS watches tend to be huge and have very short battery life), but for some of the features you'll either be tweaking the watch a lot or just not using those features heavily while on the move.

Another consideration for maritime use is that the atomic feature is (to me) unwanted because I'd rather know the watch's monthly drift than have to wonder whether or not it automatically updated it. For emergency navigation you need an accurate time piece and you have to know whether 1200 really means 1200 03 because the watch is three seconds fast every month, or if it's 1200 on the nose because the watch updated itself. Personally I stick with the manual time syncing as I truly believe it's a better way to do business.

It looks like Amazon stopped carrying this model; maybe there was only a short run of them. It's a shame: really great time piece.
on March 11, 2014
This thing is dead sexy. Yes, inside you have to look at it at a specific angel to see it well. It does wash out. I know its a real big deal and inconvenience, but I like, use the light? Maybe more often than on other watches but I honestly don't mind. Aside from that I have nothing else negative to say. It doesn't look like a fat guy with a fanny pack's geek watch like the other green blue yellow and red pathfinders. Its aesthetically dope and functionally sound. It came out of the box spot on with the baro and compass. The altimeter works well, but it will work better once I calibrate it to a fixed point. I like the display in that once outdoors, the sunlight really makes the display pop. This is nice watch, especially for the price relative to other pathfinders. I have ordered the adapters from casio so I can rock a black, grey and orange nato strap as well. I like this watch.
on November 19, 2012
I have owned this watch for 6 months now and have nothing but good things to say. Very easy to set up and use. The display at times can be hard to see, but nothing a slight tilt of the wrist will not fix. The backlight is bright and makes reading the watch in the dark real easy. The numbers are large and easy to read. All functions work great. I have got nothing but good comments about the looks of this watch. the orange and black look great together. Would recommend to any outdoor person looking for a good durable, multi function watch.
on January 24, 2013
This is the second watch of it's type I have bought (last one is still going strong after 7 years). The orange face is really not that big of a deal but you can also get this watch with a standard grey face for those are annoyed with either reflective conditions or less than great eyesight.

Pro's: Great price for an accurate watch that's built very tough. Compass works almost as well as a serious mil-spec compass when set correctly (checked half a dozen times) The barometer, altimeter, etc [to be close to accurate must have watch taken off wrist but they fun well enough for what they are. Can take a reasonable beating and maintain accuracy. This is made by Casio's computer division which buys parts from Japan quite a bit - it's high quality.

Con's: This watch is VERY specific instructions! This is not that big of an issue but there are some items that are NOT in the instruction book (yes, it's voluminous). It also has undocumented functions.
One issue that IS quite important is that the watch MUST be charged before being set (EVEN for a simple time setting). The other functions must have the watch charged to full capacity (this is not mentioned in the instructions). The watch must be off the user's wrist for it's accuracy to be at it's best and for certain settings to be set critically. The fun undocumented features are available if you CALL tech support for the watch and ask (NOT documented). Make very sure the sensor on the watch does not have hair, skin, thread, dust in it or the watch will not function at it's peak. This watch can be remarkably accurate IF the sensor is really clean (canned air for a computer would work). Attention should be paid to really having this watch fully charged. Undocumented features use up battery thus watch should be charged by very bright light if you are learning about these. Buttons are very tough: this is a good but can also give some problems if you don't know that they need real pressure - and they stay tough. All in all that could be a positive.

I recommend this watch for some who wants a very feature-full watch and has no serious trouble with technical issues. Watch has been seen selling for $100 more! Great price!
on March 27, 2014
After discovering that I'd "probably" lost my Casio Pathfinder on a mountain climb I was heartbroken, because it's such a wonderful watch with so many features, so, I ordered another. After that I decided to go back out to the climb area about 14:30 which is when the alarm goes off for my afternoon medications, since I'm so hard of hearing I cranked up my hearing aids to the max & went in search after a few minutes I could hear the alarm and I went right into where it was, I was elated the watch had fallen & tumbled some 1400 feet & survived, I now have 2 of these watches and so I'm TWICE as happy.
on August 23, 2011
I replace the batteries on my old school pathfinder only to have them die about three months later on my deployment. I didn't really want to replace my trusty pathfinder which I beat on for six hard years.....so i just upgraded. i got this one and couldn't be more happy, maybe if it didn't come with the blaze orange backing. Other than that i love it. Solar powered so i dont worry about batteries anymore, world time, count down timer, its got all the bells and whistles. It truly is an amazing watch, you wont be disappointed. I hope the reputation of my old watch will live on with this one, three months down.

UPDATE: This watch is now on its second deployment to the sandbox and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. Even working nights with minimal solar exposure, it stays fully charged. Even in a hard use environment it is still holding up extremely well. The face does have some light scratches on it but I have swung it (unintentionally) into doorknobs, door jams, corners of desks, and various vehicle parts (think nuts and bolts) with barely a scratch on it. The lettering on the light button is starting wear off as is some of the markings on the bezel, but they are still legible. For maintenance, I take it off every now and again and clean off all of the dust and soap scum off with a mild detergent and an all-purpose brush in the sink. That's it. The band on this one has held up a lot better than my original battery powered pathfinder. This band shows no sign of dry rotting or cracking and has stayed pliable to date.
I had acquired another Casio tough solar G-shock watch that I gave to my father as a gift. Both are going strong without issue for over two years now. I would definitely buy again if I ever need too. Dropping $200 on a watch that will last you a long while, yeah it's worth it.