4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!
Published on June 5, 2009 by Robert

Published on January 9, 2011 by James Beard

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!, June 5, 2009
Robert "Flightdog" (New Hope, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's PAW1100T-7V "Pathfinder" Solar Atomic Digital Watch (Watch)
I received this watch as a gift from my Amazon Wish List and I could not be happier. As a Backpacker and Pilot, this watch ahs the functions that I want and I never have to worry about batteries, winding, or if it is accurate. Although the manual is large, once the watch is set up it is easy to operate and I have not had to refer back to the manual since the first day.

The watch is a bit bulky, but very light. The numbers are very easy to read on the main face for those of us that have passed into our 40's and need the support of reading glasses, though the text around the face is very small and I can not read it without the assistance of my reading glasses.

One note is that the watch does not do a continuous compass function. It takes a reading and then locks. I guess the point is to take a heading reading on a fixed point. It would be a nice feature if you could choose between continuous compass readings and a read and lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not for just any baby to play with!, August 1, 2008
M. Price (Palm Beach , Florida) - See all my reviews
I haven't read any other reviews before the one listed here and I sure didn't before I bought it and I paid a helluva lot more than the price listed here at Amazon. I bought this very same watch before it was available to the general public when I was working in Hawaii, I had always wanted an attractive not too bulky watch with all the features for a true get away from society explorer's wet dream. This watch is definitely the answer, if you figure out electronics even ones with a complex set of multi functions like this one then you won't need it's nearly 300 page mini manual yes nearly three hundred pages. While it is true that it dosen't wipe your butt for you like some people think expensive, brainy electronics should do. If you are an avid explorer and aren't afraid of pushing a few buttons sometimes more than once then you could find no better watch but if you don't like depending on technology to do it's job and would rather use a stick then by all means do so. Just don't pick the wrong kind of plant when using the bathroom. The compass feature does stop reading after 20 seconds but guess what you can always press the compass button again. The point behind getting a compass reading is that you can check and recheck your headings, Factually, I wouldn't trust a compass who told me only one way to go as it actuates. Now, Moving on to a couple of the other features, like altimeter, have you ever wondered how many meters above the ground you were in an airplane, yeah I did too, found out too, it's really freaky to watch how fast a plane drops when descending. Barometer function does take a little bit of explaining I would suggest reading the manual if only for this caveat, Thermometer I would like to say this was really acurate while being worn but alas I don't think there is a skin liked device that can give you an accurate room temp without taking into account body temp. However if you take it off and let it naturalize you can get a realistic reading in either celsius or farenheit. The five different alarms are great if you are one of those whom need constant waking up in order to get going. Or for setting alarms for different time zones, another cool feature is the world clock, ever wondered what time it is in Tokyo, when you are having your tea and crumpets in South London. All in all it is a great watch, get it at this much cheaper retail price if you like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bulky thick, but not too heavy; solid performance for my needs, January 9, 2011
I got this watch for three main features: the atomic time-keeping, solar power, and the light. It gets a full 5 stars for those things I wanted most. It has an uber-techy look that seems to be popular style with many men who still bother wearing a watch at all. (Phones have become the new "pocket watch" for the youngest generation.) I can read the digital display without glasses. The markings around the dial are a different story -- too small for even my regular reading glasses. The zoomed pictures on the website can fool you in that regard. It came with a manual that is even thicker than the watch! Maybe heavier too. I have yet to use it to figure out how to change the default altitude reading from meters to feet. The default barometer reading is also metric. I was able to change that, but a similar sequence of button presses didn't seem to work for altitude. Kinda strange. The compass seems to show magnetic North as a 5-7 degrees too far East compared to a regular compass. Perhaps that is something else that is adjustable (if I get around to reading the manual :) ). The matching metal band feels good on the wrist, with an easy 2-snap release to remove the watch. But even though my wrist is a little thicker than average, I still had to take it to a jeweler to remove 2 links before it would fit.

UPDATE AFTER ONLY 2 YEARS: The battery died! Whats the point of a rechargeable solar battery if it doesn't last any longer than a simple thumbnail watch battery in a quartz movement? I'm downgrading my rating from 4 to 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, BUT!!!, March 7, 2009
As a previous Pathfinder owner, I passed my original Pathfinder on to a relative and purchased this new model. Everything was as expected with one MAJOR PROBLEM. I like using the hourly signal and the alarm setting. YOU CAN NOT HEAR EITHER CHIME TONE, NOT THE HOURLY OR ALARM. Granted, it does work, if you are holding it to your ear. I called Casio support and they told me that there was no volume adjust. My previous Pathfinder, even with the watch under my jacket sleeve, the hourly signal and alarm chime could be heard. The chime on this model is useless. I am very disappointed. If the volume can be adjusted on other models, why not on this one??

5.0 out of 5 stars pathfinder, December 24, 2010
another military guy, got this watch for upcoming missions, the first of which will be a few weeks in alaska. right now i'm still getting to know all the features, but the watch hasn't failed me yet. there are sleeves in the links that the pins slide into, so make sure if you have links taken out the place does it correctly or the pins will fall out. not the watch's fault, but the watch tech. like i said, good watch. does its job if you can read the instruction manual, and you are buying it for function not because you're an idiot.

3.0 out of 5 stars WOW, what a tool, until the battery was replaced!, August 31, 2010
Malone "I've told you once." (HARKER HEIGHTS, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this watch while deployed in 2007. It performed flawlessy from that time until about 6 months ago. At this point, I started leaving it in sunlight or bright interior light to keep it charged. The display and functions were behaving as though the battery was dead.
I replaced the battery per manual instructions, resetting it prior to new battery insertion.
About three months later, more of the same behavior, no display, going to sleep for long periods only to have to be reprogrammed upon waking up.
Before I replace it, I will replace the battery one more time.
I do this because this device is nearly irreplaceable in my liesure time activities, Hashing (trail running).
With the four actual functions, I can predict local weather fairly well and the necessity of having to correct the time or replace the battery constantly has made this a watch I will replace only if I really have to and it will be with another Pathfinder series!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit on the large side, but an entertaining toy, March 18, 2014
I got this watch on a lightning deal and couldn't turn it down at the price. The atomic clock updating feature is great if you are within range of the Fort Collins transmitter, which Hawaii is not. I had a chance to try the automatic updating on a recent trip to San Francisco, and it worked great, even while wearing the watch to bed (It tries to update starting at midnight when there is less radio interference.) The manual tells you to place the watch face-up on a window sill to get the strongest signal, but that is not always necessary.

The thermometer feature is not very accurate, especially while wearing the watch because it is not insulated from body heat, but it does not seem very accurate even after sitting on a shelf for some time. The altimeter feature is my favorite, but it can be wildly inaccurate because of swings in barometric pressure that occur all the time with changes in the weather. You have to calibrate it against a known altitude, but that calibration is effective only while the barometric pressure is static. During my stay in Redwood City, the altitude varied between 140 and 700 feet in the same house within a 24 hour period. In San Francisco, I found myself at minus 140 feet on one occasion.

This is a very large watch, but thanks to the lightweight materials, it is comfortable to wear. The display is also large and clear, although I prefer not to have to toggle between the date and the day of the week. I subsequently bought a Casio Pro Trek PAW1300T-7 on another lightning deal and I prefer to wear it because of its smaller size, but its display is also smaller.

It is easy to remove the band links to fit your wrist so you do not have to take it to a jeweler. I got a tool (on Amazon) which makes it simple to push out the retaining pins, then use needle-nose pliers to pull the pins all the way out. Just make sure not to lose the tiny locking collar which may also drop out. You can find videos on YouTube to make the process clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Information for Prospective Buyers and Wristband adjustment instructions if you've purchased the watch, April 24, 2014
Peter Baum (Onset, MA USA) - See all my reviews
If you are considering purchasing the PAW1100T-7V (Casio Module 3043):

1. You will almost certainly have to adjust the watchband to make it smaller by removing links or taking it to a jewelry store to have this done. If you do it yourself, you need the ability to work with very small parts.

2. The watch will not simultaneously display both date and day of the week. It takes a button press in order to see both.

3. The watch is aware of the year, but this is not normally displayed. (It can be set manually.)

4. (Manual page E-95): "This watch uses a special rechargeable battery to store power produced by the solar cell, so regular battery replacement is not required. However, after very long use, the rechargeable battery may lose its ability to achieve a full charge. If you experience problems getting the special rechargeable battery to charge fully, contact your dealer or CASIO distributor about having it replaced."

5. (Manual page E-144) “You should have the rubber seal that keeps out water and dust replaced every 2 to 3 years”

6. To keep the unit charged, it needs light. This requirement will be easy for some people and difficult for others. The manual, for example, suggests that the watch not be partially covered by a sleeve.

7. The watch has a nice power save feature that turns off the display and some of the functions based on certain factors such as the time of day and whether the watch detects light. This feature can be disabled if you don’t like it.

If you have already purchased the PAW1100T-7V (Casio Module 3043) and need to adjust the wristband:

You can remove links from the wristband using a small paper clip to push out some of the pins that hold the links in place. There are arrows on some of the link indicating which pins can be removed and the direction to push in order to remove them. You may need pliers to manipulate the paper clip. Be aware that there is a very small metal sleeve that goes into one side of the smaller links. When you take the links apart, that sleeve is likely to fall out. You will need to put the sleeve back into one of the links in order to properly reassemble the wristband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 27, 2011
Love this watch! Decent size, features are awesome...i work in a Clinical set up and most of my co workers wears a GShock, when they saw my new Pathfinder they were all in awe. It looks awesome, a good buy! You'd be crazy not to add this to your collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Big, April 20, 2014
This watch is incredibly big. Unless you have a very thick wrist this watch is going to look comical on your wrist. While for the most part the watch functions fine, I find that the thermometer reading are not all that accurate and tend to vary widely. Also I don't understand why a digital watch can't display both the day and date simultaneously. I think it's because despite the watch being large, the real estate for the actual dial isn't as large. Overall though it is a very solid atomic solar digital watch and the barometer and compass are pretty neat. Light weight is a plus. I didn't keep it though as it looked hilarious on my wrist.

Rate and Discover Movies