on July 15, 2014
I had a G-Shock before but the numbers were too hard to read at a glance so I opted for this Casio which has turned out to be just what I needed. Big display, easy to read black numbers on grey background. Solar so I dont have to worry about batteries. Lightweight. Has all the features of my old G-Shock plus the triple sensor (compass, temp, altitude, and pressure), and atomic timekeeping. Dark grey rubbery band and resin body, glossy black bezel. I read some people nit picking the accuracy of the triple sensor feature, I mean come on its just a wrist watch, you're not going to get accuracy like an aircraft air data computer. It tells me what it is in the ball park which is good enough, if I needed to know information like that any more accurately I wouldnt be using this (or any other) watch. The temp feature is a little off since it reads warmer than what it is, I think its my body heat throwing it off. Its a little smaller than what Im used to wearing (big armored G-Shocks) but it is light and doesnt feel uncomfortable to wear. All in all Im happy with the buy.
review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was looking for a premium, everyday wearable, rugged, fully digital sport watch with a highly visible (night and day) display and that featured dual time, solar power, and atomic time syncing. While CASIO is not a premium brand, they have a reputation for making tough, reliable sport watches, many offering solar and atomic features, and some with an up scale titanium finish and band.

This V3 model had several compelling improvements from previous versions. The new sensors were much smaller allowing for a smaller, lighter, more everyday wearable watch. The sensors were also both more accurate and hugely more power efficient giving better usability and better battery/charge life.

This particular model (PRW-3000-1CR) has a display that is crisp, contrasty, and big enough to make it easily readable in the day. And a dual LED back light is plenty bright enough to make it easily readable at night. This display is a positive LCD which I find more easily readable than a negative ones.

Overall it had all the features I was looking for in an attractive, well built package, but it looses one star for a user interface thats not as intuitive as some, and some features that haven't been implemented as elegantly as others. You'll want to spend some time with the manual and really getting to know how all the settings and features work before you need them in real life as figuring out some on the fly would be fairly difficult.

Edit - I was fortunate enough to get a new Suunto Core Black that I can compare to the Casio now:

Both have plastic cases, rubber straps with a metal buckle and a metal case back. Both have sizable positive (black on light background) display's. Both feature Day, Date, Time, Alternate time zone, Alarms, Sunrise/Sunset, Countdown timer, Stopwatch, Altitude, Barometer, and Compass functions. Both displays feature three information rows - smaller ones on top and bottom and a large one in the middle with a sprinkling of indicators over the rest of the display.

The biggest pluses of the Casio

* Solar powered with up to 9 month battery life with no recharging
* Atomic time syncing if you are close enough to a broadcasting atomic clock
* Higher contrast display, smaller but crisper and brighter
* Much better and brighter dual led backlighting
* 100m water resist
* Smaller more conventionally sized for everyday wear
* Dedicated buttons for altimeter, barometer, and compass
* Better feeling buttons than Suunto and 6 buttons rather than 5
* Hourly chime

On the Casio's Downside

* A terrible manual and complex, user interface
* Sensors not as accurate and with greater drift than Suunto and prone to locking out with big location changes
* More limited display and UI means leaving time display to access many functions
* Strap not near as comfortable as Suunto
* Frequent backlight or sensor use can rapidly deplete battery and lockout many functions

The biggest pluses of the Suunto

* Larger more information rich display
* Common easily user replaceable battery (12-18month life)
* Simpler user interface and better manual
* More comfortable and fits on smaller wrists
* Very accurate sensors with little drift
* Permits frequent or sustained backlight or sensor use

On the Suunto's Downside

* Relatively dim EL backlighting
* Mode switch button rather than dedicated A/B/C buttons
* No solar or atomic feature
* No hourly chime
* 30m water resist

Update April 9th 2014

I decided to return the Casio in favor of the Suunto. Comfort and sensor accuracy on the Suunto won out over the other features of the Casio. I likely would have at least kept the Casio if it wasn't for its uncomfortable "wings" and proprietary strap.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2014
Read about it it does a lot. Couple pet peeves, you can't change the hour signal to chime any amount of minutes after the hour, it will either double beep every hour at the hour (I think it actually doesn't beep at night?), or not at all.
It is nice and not too big for what it does, display is clear and easily readable, the winglets help it sit on your wrist comfortably.
I find the compass very precise, the elevation less so, but that is understandable given it presumes stable barometric pressure.
I believe the beeper is slightly quieter than my old Casios I had for years. Time synced, watch charged, I am very happy with them and would buy them again.
If you're concerned about the lack of dual display, don't be. The compass is just as easy to use and the display is a lot clearer now.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 21, 2014
Overall, it's a great watch with many great features. But I ended up returning it for three reasons:

1. The black finish on the bezel chipped off in one spot after wearing it for less than 3 days. I couldn't recall bumping it or scraping it and I didn't do anything extreme/out of the ordinary in those 3 days. The chip was annoying and obvious every time I looked at the watch because the material underneath the black bezel is a silver color, so it really stood out. I couldn't believe an outdoor mountaineering/mountain biking watch could be so fragile.

2. The "wings" underneath the watch that bridge the gap between the back of the watch face and the strap were annoying. They would snag my arm hairs whenever the watch would move around, which would pull on my hairs and causing pain/annoyance. I don't have excessive arm hair, but this was really annoying. Just imagine someone trying to pull your arm hairs out with tweezers every time the watch shifts position.

3. The strap itself seemed narrow and the watch had a bad habit of shifting to the outside position on my wrist, which make viewing the watch face a two-handed job (had to use my other hand to rotate the watch to the normal position to view the face).

I loved the watch and the price (got it for $250), but in the end I just couldn't live with it on my wrist every day because of the annoyances and its fragility. I returned it and got the G-shock GW-9400-1CR for $270 and I've been extremely pleased with it so far.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2014
Fabulous easy to read display both in sunlight and indoors. Cool look with really nice functions. These watches were marketed as hiking and outdoors gear, with a compass, altimeter and barometer. But you can wear it everywhere.
on August 25, 2014
To understand this review, I am 63: I bought this watch for the combination of elegance and function. I like the large clear digits and simple design (no bulging buttons or crazy color combination). I would have been happy with just a temperature sensor which I like to have for swimming which I do a lot - probably the only time the sensor will give the correct temperature while on the wrist after about 10 minutes in the water. There are no such watches with just temperature. Do I need the compass, baro/altimeter? Not really. The rechargeable battery idea is nice (solar powered), and if you live in the range of a radio signal, the watch adjust its time automatically, including daylight savings time. Nice. Can I live without it? Yes. So is it a good buy? I paid 246$ which is a lot considering I don't really care for some of the functions. The manual is o.k., I suggest to download it from the Casio web site rather than straining your eyes on the miniature sized booklet and small print. You have to give it some time and concentration to get to know all the functions and how to use them.
on April 27, 2014
I had the PAW-1500 and I have the Garmin fenix watch which I love. I ended up replacing a lost 1500 because I felt better about having a watch on the trail that won't run out of batteries accidentally. The fenix can run out of batteries if you forget to turn the gps off or run a countdown timer for any long period of time. Also, once you have a good GPS with a pressure sensor, The altitude reading is really a just a nice to have.

If I hike or am out for a few days, I don't have to carry a heavy external charger for my Garmin watch just in case. Having a watch is pretty key for me.

The biggest pros which are huge for me are
1) Auto time calibration
2) solar battery
3) Water proof to my needs
4) durable. (Not sure on this one yet but the 1500 was a tank.
5) Way smaller and more comfortable than the 1500 with all the features.

Cons (minor)
1) Light needs to give a 10, 20 or 30 second option.
3) No seconds indicator around the bevel (garmin does it and it is a good quick visual. very minor).

Great Watch. I recommend it highly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2014
I am a watch-a-Holic and have trouble resisting cool looking watches. But this may just be my last one. It is comfortable easy to use and does everything I need a watch to do. It did take a day or two to get used to the controls, but they are pretty much common sense now that I think about it. It is a nice looking, rugged watch suitable for work or recreation. I really like and enjoy this watch . As someone else said, I would have liked a black band instead of the charcoal grey one that came with the watch, but just like the settings I am getting used to it. The illumination is far superior to any lighting on any other watch I have owned. Great watch
on September 14, 2014
the display is very clear and sharp. i was concerned that the white background might be to bright, i have another gshock with the black and light grey display, however it is very nice. i was pleasantly surprised at how slim the new watch is compared to my older one. this actually is a stylish watch. i can see how the titanium strap could be a nice feature to buy since this is more than just a sport or mountain looking case. the buttons are readily accessible. the light is great on the tilt to view and the watch is well illuminated and readable. it is a bit frustrating that it can not work when one is trying to change settings or when first loading the barometer or altimeter modes but it does eventually illuminate in those settings.
as per barometer and altimeter. i pilot aircraft for a living and was rather surprised at how accurate they both are. i live on a mountain side and the altimeter gets me to within ten feet of my elevation as i find it on a wass gps setting in my garmin. well with in the range of both. in the pressurised plane i found that the altimeter on my watch matched that of the gauge for cabin altitude, that was an unexpected surprise! i thought the constant pressurization and depressurization of the plane through the day would reek havok on that function of my watch. they seem to have done great job with the new sensors.
it feels solid despite its extremely light weight. i am glad the crystal is recessed below the sides of the watch, i think this will help me in not scratching the face of the watch.
i am still working on using the countdown timer so i have not comment on that, the stop watch is great and the compass is spot on.
on January 20, 2015
I was going to return this watch yesterday due to one function doesn't work. However, I make it work last night by myself. I like this watch and it is a good buy!
review image review image