5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than my last triple sensor watch (PAG-240), but...
Published 17 months ago by TLC

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the finish
Published 14 months ago by tgh

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than my last triple sensor watch (PAG-240), but..., March 29, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's PRW2500-1B ProTrek Tough Solar Atomic Digital Watch (Watch)
the barometric display only goes back 10-12 hours instead of 24 hours like the PAG-240 did. However, since this watch is lighter, solar powered (a big plus because the '240 needed FOUR batteries every 13-15 months $$$$), and it calibrates to WWVB even here on the East Coast. I had a PAG-240 for ten years, liked everything about it except the cost of replacing four batteries every year and when I had dropped it and it broke, I had to make a choice between getting it repaired or replacing it. It cost $25-30 a year to put in batteries and I had it ten years, so I had already spent more than a new PRW-2500-1B would cost. No brainer. The compass is improved because it can be calibrated to True North by either precise environmental alignment OR the magnetic declination can be entered (a big plus because the '240 could only be done with the first method). The barometer and altimeters work very well with initial calibration, just like the '240. So with the exception of barometric scale, this PRW-2500-1B knocks it right out of the ball park!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch!!!, February 15, 2013
I've had my eyes on this watch for several months now and just couldn't justify paying $250.00 or more for it, but fortunately Amazon dropped the price to $199.99 with free shipping. I had to pull the trigger on it. Let me start out by saying that I have owned a G Shock and a Pathfinder and I love both of those watches! My pathfinder's batteries finally died on me so I decided that a solar powered watch was the way to go this time. This watch does it all! I've calibrated all of the features and so far they seem to be fairly accurate. For the outdoor enthusiast, this watch is a must! You won't spend the coin like you would for a Suunto, and you'll still get a very accurate, reliable and durable watch. Fortunately, this watch isn't as big as the pictures make it out to be. It's a slimmer version of the pathfinder that I am used to but much more durable, comfortable and attractive looking. For any watch lover or outdoorsman, this watch is a great tool to have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the finish, June 3, 2013
I really like the functions and look of this watch. However, be aware that the rotating bezel is anodized aluminum that has a black finish. The finish is not durable. Brush this bezel against anything and the finish will come off leaving the aluminum to shine through. I have tried to repair the scratches with paint and markers but nothing stays on. For a watch that states how tough it is, this finish leaves a lot to be desired. Just a word of warning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ProTrek, March 10, 2013
This is a great version of the PRW2500. I won't go into all the functions - many have explained these before. This is an ABC watch (Altimeter, Barometer, Compass) and it has a dual layer LCD display Casio has done a great job improving the displays for the dual layer watches and this one is crisp. It is a solar and atomic watch and it syncs very well here in North America (much more frequent than my Riseman does). While a big watch - it is relatively thin and wears very well - it looks much smaller on the wrist than you would expect - so it will not look like you have a huge monstrosity on your wrist. Resin band is comfortable and I have had no issues.

What i like most about the watch is the nice, think green metal ring - it adds a subtle bit of color to the all black watch that I just love. No crazy colors, but a watch that means business. Overall - a great ProTrek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Awesome, January 21, 2013
I have had a Casio G Shock with solar and atomic time for several years. Never has that watch gave me a problem. Now I wanted a watch that was a little different. Since we live in an area that has tornadoes watches and warnings, and the fun and excitement of a twister close by at least twice a year, I thought that I would get a little "bug out", survival kit ready. So, I purchased this watch for the solar power, atomic time keeping and the digital compass.

I did not know about the "Strap" that the watch had. I was a little disappointed at first till I noticed that the strap comes on and off with no special tools. You simply push the strap through. it is really neat. These straps are called "NATO Straps". These watchbands are for sale all over the internet and Amazon actually has some decent ones on their web site, but I wanted something a little custom some I got some let over leather strips (you need to work leather for this one) Strained the leather a dark brown, pressed a design on it, some simple stamping and sewing, and bingo, I have a very expensive watch band that did't even cost five dollars to make.

Some people complain about the black band pulling hair out of the arm, and they are correct. After awhile you loose the hair and there is no more pulling, but the strap that comes with the watch does not do that, and the watch band lets your wrist "breath" because the band goes between your skin and the metal on the back of the watch.

The compass is OK. I would want to shoot an azimuth with it as I did in the army, but in a pinch (which will more than likely not happen) it will work fine. The Barometer works pretty well in predicting weather up coming. And the temp is pretty good if the watch is off your wrist.

The tide indicator is completely worthless. It is a 9 hour drive to get to the ocean, but the animation looks cool. Like we men really need a good reason to purchase something.

The manual that the watch comes with is rather extensive, large and written in tiny letters and different languages, so if you purchase this watch, go to Casio dot come and down load the user manual in PDF format. Your eyes will thank you that you did.

I am very happy that I accidentally ordered a strap and not the plastic band.

2.0 out of 5 stars The sensors are horribly inaccurate, March 2, 2013
Sam W (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
I love the looks of this watch but there are many watches that look similar for about $50 or less. The price of this watch seemed worth it for the sensors, I am a beginner skier and thought it would be fun to see what altitudes I was at on different slopes. I did everything the user guide said to calibrate the sensors but none of them worked. The compass was okay. The thermometer was always high, which was expected due to body heat, but it was never even consistent. The altimeter was even worse, and that was the primary reason I bought the watch. Even at known, posted altitudes, the watch could be off from hundreds to over a thousand feet, and again, was nowhere near consistant. Had it been consistently off, it would have been easy to calculate the approximate altitude, but it was pretty much worthless for that purpose. The watch did hold up to extreme cold and snowy conditions, but if you buy this watch, you're going to pay a lot for a watch that looks like it has a bunch of cool features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Watch, January 6, 2013
So far this is a great watch. Fortunately it's not quite as big as it appears in the photos. This is a very attractive/sturdy watch, with numerous cool features. The altimeter appears to be within 20-40 of the actual altitude. As a former Naval Aviator, and current airline pilot, i can say that that is a very acceptable tolerance, especially for such a small altimeter. The barometer feature is a must, before using the altimeter. Just remember that 29.92 hg (inches of mercury) is the standard barometer at sea level. Adjust whatever your altimeter says, for the current baro pressure(ie. 30.02 add 100 ft to what your altimeter shows). Compass appears dead on. Atomic time update, and solar charging work as advertised. Comfortable, and light weight. No complaints thus far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Atomic time?, March 6, 2014
AirborneDave (Amite, Louisiana USA) - See all my reviews
Solid, rugged watch. However, I paid quite a bit of money for the atomic clock option, and have never been able to get the watch to successfully sync.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outdated model?, February 8, 2014
nnyms (Bethesda, MD) - See all my reviews
Seems for almost the same price, the much improved PRW3000 can be had. The PRW3000 has the first substantial improvement to triple sensor technology in about a decade. With that said...

The slightly older with more bells and whistles PAW1500 is also at the same price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars looks awesome, survived bike crash, May 7, 2013
This watch protected my wrist from serious damage during a high-speed bicycle crash. It's got some big gashes on the bezel now (makes it look pretty cool).Very sturdy watch indeed.

Why 4 stars: charging takes a loooong time. It still hasn't gotten onto H level and I've had it for months. Dropped into "L" and I had to leave it in the sun to get it back to M

altimeter not accurate, but other sensors very accurate

other pros: