5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied but Caveat about Tide Function
I am very satisfied with PRW2500T-7CR after looking at a multitude of other watches. First of all, I was looking for a watch that could be used for sailing (both cruising and racing)on my 27' x 19' trimaran. I needed a watch that was stylish enough for everyday use that had the following features:

Required Features
- Compass for checking heading when away...
Published on June 17, 2012 by Chester Ramsey

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, biggest gripe incorrect amazon listing.
Firstly, my main reason for buying this 2500T is to replace my PAW1200T that I have owned and used everyday for the past 4 years. I broke the sensor cover on that and also ended up cracking the case. So, I wanted to replace it with similar/better featured casio. I try to be direct with review/feed back here and if it seems like a bit "meh" then sorry.
Anyway, FWIW, I...
Published on October 8, 2012 by Shyam

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied but Caveat about Tide Function, June 17, 2012
Chester Ramsey (Knoxville, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's PRW2500T-7CR Pathfinder Triple Sensor Tough Solar Digital Multi-Function Titanium Pathfinder Casual Watch (Watch)

Required Features
- Compass for checking heading when away from the cockpit
- Barometer with history function for weather monitoring
- Tide prediction for navigation
- Race sequence countdown timer
- Must be waterproof

Bonus Features
- Solar powered
- Atomic clock synchronization
- Moon phase prediction
- Altimeter for when I go hiking on the AT

At night, it has a function that automatically turns the back light when you look at the watch without having to push anything. The PRW2500T-7CR met all of my needs at a reasonable price.

You will need to get the watch sized as it ships with all the titanium segments installed on the band. Went to a local jewelry store where they re-sized while I waited using a special tool and didn't charge me anything.

Here's the caveat with the tides function. The display is designed for semi-diurnal tides, which is when there are two high tides and two low tides per day. If you use the watch in an area that has diurnal tides, which is when there is only one high and one low tide per day, you have to understand that low tide occurs when the display shows the second high tide for the day. The following is a link to where diurnal occur in the US.

[...]

No one has commented on the race countdown, so here's some more detail. You can set the sequence to 10 minute, 5 minute, 4 minute, etc... The watch beeps each minute until the last ten seconds. During the last 10 seconds it beeps each second with the tone of the beeps changing between 10,9,8,7,6 and 5,4,3,2,1. 0 is a single tone that stops without having to push anything. It is also nice that it displays the local time during the sequence as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Casio's best, December 10, 2011
Over the years I have owned a number of Casio watches, and all did everything they were advertised to do. This one disappointed me at first, and I almost returned it. Then I read the instruction manual, and discovered that the atomic signal reception works best at night! I had always taken this feature of atomic watches for granted. I assumed that one could do a manual time calibration anytime. Not so. After making this discovery, I tried to do daytime syncs with a number of atomic watches, and they all struggle to connect with Fort Collins until after dark. Once I understood how this technology works, I found that this Casio too does exactly what it is supposed to do.

This is a large but sturdy watch. It isn't for a small person, but it isn't so bulky that it is unsuitable for most men. I own an older PAW 1500 7T, which is very similar in features and size. I honestly don't see a host of improvements over the older PAW 1500, other than the dual display--which adds a little functionality, but not enough to make this a revolutionary upgrade; both are great watches

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, biggest gripe incorrect amazon listing., October 8, 2012
Anyway, FWIW, I will not try to restate all the features which have be listed. This is something to expect from a top of the line casio watch. Having said that, some important notes/improvements.
Pros:
1) Display is much nicer/crisper, with lots more information including full date on almost all the menus and sub menus
2) Crystal is nicely set so as to not accidentally damage it due to impact.
3) The plastic "winglets" at the bottom make the watch very comfortable to wear. Although this can be a con after these are worn out and can't find replacements.
4) The link between the band is solid titanium, unlike my old one which was stamped steel.
5) The back light is much brighter.
6) Much lighter feel to the watch which is def a plus in spite of a metal band.
7) Buttons are much more easier to find in the dark and operate.
8) Consistent layout from one model to another makes changes / upgrades easier.
9) Continuous solar charging.

Cons:
In correct amazon listing by casio:

Product Features
Material: (case) titanium, (band) titanium

1) My main gripe about this watch is that the case is not made of metal, just resin(it doesn't have to be titanium). It does seem to have a metal ring. I chose this model be cause amazon listed the case material as titanium so I am ranking it down a couple for bad info by casio. I found this out on other sites/forums where people mentioned it but it was too late for me to cancel the order, I had already re-sized the band. I am afraid I will end up breaking this as well like my old watch. Had I known this I would bought 5100YT-1JF.
2) The clasp buttons (used to release the clasp pin) feels cheap. My old watch was made of titanium which felt more durable. I don't know why Casio would compromise on a piece that takes regular wear.
3) The thermometer seems off out of the box by almost 10F(high) between my old and new watch even without wearing/touching any part of the watch. This needs re-calibration.
4) The dial piece moves too easily, a more of click would have been better to retain the position.

I wish casio made the PRX models for US market instead of import at your own risk not to mention a little cheaper, but I would gladly pay for quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent successor to previous Pathfinders; feature rich, minor issues, November 11, 2012
The Pathfinder PRW2500T-7CR was my personal upgrade to the Casio Men's PAW1300T-7V Pathfinder Multi-Band Solar Atomic Silver Watch I purchased about 3 years ago, and I'm very impressed with its performance, though I'll honestly say it's far from perfect - especially for nearly $300 (after taxes).

There's a lot to cover, so let's start with the features and upgrades Casio has made to the PRW2500T to previous watches. This is Casio's latest (2001) edition of their Pathfinder Tough Triple-Sensor Atomic Solar watches - which is a real mouthful. Basically this series of Pathfinder watches really are the Crem della crem of those offered, as they include a tough design to resist damage & wear, includes some form of significant water resistance (20BAR, 200 meters), has a triple sensor (temperature barometer, altimeter, and digital compass), has an atomic timekeeping feature, and is solar powered. In short, this watch is extremely feature rich - but this is nothing new for Casio. The PAW1300T I mentioned earlier came out about four years previously and has the exact same features - save for a weaker water resistance (10BAR / 100 Meters), so Casio is certainly staying the course in offering what its most outgoing and resourceful customers want. What this watch DOES offer as an upgrade significantly is new moon and tide data, which the aforementioned watch did not have - so this is something to consider if this is what you're looking for.

What makes this watch such an effective upgrade is the great display redesign that it has given compared to previous pathfinders. the PRW2500T, from the home screen, allows you to view the moon phase, day of week, barometer graph, tide chart, date, and time without pressing a button! That's a big upgrade, as previous watches required you to trade the day of the week for a barometer graph or other exchanges of information, making it more inconvenient for the quick glance. Of course, as a cost the time display is much smaller, so you'll have to look harder for this view. The watch's physical design has also gotten a serious upgrade, with resin supports around the stainless steel casing to ensure less denting and help maintain a water-resistant seal when possible. The band also connects to the watch face much more securely compared to the PAW1300T, meaning your band won't break as easily (which is why I ended up buying this watch in the first place!) and you're not going to have to replace the band as likely. Long story short, the watch has been built much better compared to the PAW1300T and is a step in the right direction for Casio

The sensors and general timekeeping are solid. Atomic timekeeping is a pain in the butt, and i have to say I've yet to get a solid update unfortunately, but bear in mind this was done in a metropolitan environment on the 4th floor, not a rural one away from buildings where it's mostly expected. Then again this is nothing different from past pathfinder watches, which

The watch has everything you need, and only a few shortfalls. The titanium band - while strong and lightweight - is not very scratch resistant. The paint on the surface (such as on the direction dial) is also very prone to scratches, which really kill the clean and finished look I just loved when I got it. I'm a week in and it's already chipping paint and scratching up, and I've yet to take it on my first hike. Despite this, it's extremely resistant to wear and will last you years - so long as you give it the maintenance it needs every so often and keep it away from harm. It's no G-Shock, but a very good watch, and light on the hand!

The titanium band is a great option that's very classy and resistant to damage - but where the watch face and band meet is connected by metal and plastic/rubber resin - which has in the past broke on my other pathfinders. The new design is much more beefy and resistant to damage, but I still feel Casio has a conspiracy to sell you titanium bands that break and get scratched up, especially when they only offer a 1 year warranty.

Speaking of warranties, this thing - for what you pay - deserves a 3 or 5 year warranty. Casio's 1-year warranty is an insult, and they should really back their watches more long-term. The watch face will probably outlive you - but the watchbands are very likely to break every few years. The titanium band is an easy $70 to replace, so keep that in mind!

In the end there's a lot to be said about this watch - most importantly it will suit your needs no matter your interests, whether they be personal, business, or military. I also feel I've barely scratched the surface with this watch, so please feel free to individually ask questions if you feel this review isn't sufficient of how much this watch covers. This is a watch that will go with and last just about anything you throw at it. I love it, even despite its shortfalls, and think the pathfinder is the most feature-rich watch money can buy.

UPDATE - May 15 2013

Nothing has changed for this watch except some wearing on the compass dial. Apparently the paint can't survive, though everything else is in fair order. I don't get why this feature is even on the watch but nonetheless it does hurt the aesthetics. Bear this in mind as you use it! Regardless it's still a fine product and everything else seems to be working great.

UPDATE - July 2014

Just a short update. I ended up shelving this watch for a bit as I use my smartwatch more often. My only disappointment is that the device doesn't store its charge for as long as my previous Casio (in fact this one is dead while the other Casio is sitting on Low after over a year!) which was a little surprising, but not a deal breaker.

Nonetheless the unit is holding up fantastically even before I switched to a smart watch. I definitely will keep it around for the more outdoor days.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Achilles Heel, April 12, 2013
Kris Tuttle (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch for a few years now and love it. Why three stars???

This is the kind of watch you figure will last and last. It's titanium after all. Well it's almost perfect except for the two pins that hold the watch band to the watch. These break. Not right away but after a few years of regular use (for me). Making matters worse my local watch store was unable to fix it because it uses "special pins" so I sent it away to Casio. They did fix it and it only cost me about $25 so no big deal. But then a year later the *other* pin broke. So now I have to go through that process again which takes some weeks.

I'm amazed that after all the effort that went into making this watch so good these two pins mean it will break on you and force you into a multi-week mail repair process. This time I'm going to see if there is a DIY way to fix this, even if I have to do something permanent like weld it on. This is a watch I want to work all the time - it's titanium, it's solar, it's atomic! And these little pins trip it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best I've had, but..., May 2, 2012
The watch is the best I've had: barometer, compass, tide and moon data (it works reasonably well, but not perfect) and one of the most important things is that it is solar powered.
Much as I would love to rate this five stars, the band which is supposedly made of titanium has been already scratched with normal use within a month. Just the act of placing the watch on a surface to charge in the sun, has been enough to scratch the band. So it is the weak link in this rugged watch.
I've had Citizen titanium-band watches in the past and never encountered this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Analytical accuracy, February 11, 2014
As I was searching for a new watch to purchase, I noticed this Casio watch.
I instantly read the various reviews which impressed me overall with all the functions this watch is able to perform.
Two of the functions I appreciated as soon as I became familiar with how to use were the barometer & thermometer modes.
The barometer is able to read in units of hpa (hectopascals) or inHg (inches of mercury).
The thermometer is able to read in units of Celsius or Fahrenheit.
Before using these two functions make sure to calibrate the two functions to known barometric and temperature values.
Be sure to gather enough data so as to develop the means and standard deviations to apply to the calibrations.
I am sure the functions of altitude and the compass will be equally useful.
Be sure to read all the instructions before using this watch.
In my opinion, the instructions in a pdf manual that Casio's website offers are the mostly easily read.
When reading the instructions, it will become clear that the radio controlled atomic timekeeping is performed between 12 am and 5 am.
Overall I truly enjoy using the functions of this watch which are performing to analytical standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I've ever owned, May 5, 2013
This is a weather station for your wrist. Barometric Pressure, Altitude, Temperature, Tides, Moon Phase, World Time, Compass, Alarms, Timers, and more. The manual for this solar powered watch is about the size of a business card x 1 inch thick. This watch has a Titanium finish, kind of a greyed silver. The only drawback that I have found is that the metal band scratches fairly easily, but then, I wear my watch a bit looser than most others and so the outside of my wrist (and hense watchband) makes contact with objects like counters, tables, and such, a little more often than normal wrist watch users.
If you are interested in critical timing then this may be the watch for you as it automatically syncs with the Atomic Clock 6 times a day (it can also be manually synced at will) to ensure accurate timekeeping.
Atomic timekeeping, weather station, altimeter, compass, solar powered, with alarms and more, water resistant to 20 Bar (660 feet) - a perfect watch for anyone engaged in outdoor activities like skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, sailing, camping, or whatever else turns you on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toughest watch I've owned yet., May 13, 2013
Its a big upgrade on the band attachment comparing to its previous models. Been through combat, with little wear and tear on the side, but not a single scratch on the crystal. If you're in the military/law-enforcement, I would recommend this watch. Never worry about the battery or getting beat. Plus the metallic band does not stink over time. Unless you're buying a $500+ high-end Suunto, I would suggest you get this watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Triple Sensor Pathfinder with Titanium Band, January 11, 2014
Overall this is a great ABC watch and a notch up on the previous version PRG240 or other PRW2500 resin band variants. The only point to note is the case is made of resin/plastic and definitely not titanium as stated in product specifications.