5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly functional

Published 8 months ago by Grumpy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly functional, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I've owned several Casio pathfinder watches but this one is easily the most functional. Although not particularly luminescent, there is a light button which illuminates the watch face well. I also Like the analog functions for time, altitude, barometric pressure and compas. I am somewhat visually challenged so I appreciate the analog readings. The only shortfall that I see is that the digital window for the stopwatch and alarm functions is not lit but that is of little consequence. Although I've only owned the watch for a week, I am most satisfied and recommend it highly. Solar powere and atomic timekeeping should keep it accurate for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch ever, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I DONT SPEAK ENGLISH VERY WELL,THIS IS THE BEST WATCH I EVER HAD,I AM FROM MONTERREY MEXICO..THIS WATCH BESIDES BEATIFUL HAS A LOT OF GOOD THINGS AND WORKS PERFECT.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Work Horse Timepiece, November 8, 2013
XiDeLu (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I have owned this watch for a solid period of time (over 8 months); it has functioned flawless. I have never owned a Casio watch, but decided to take a chance based on brand reputation. I believe that decision was solid as I am very impressed with the quality and functionality of the timepiece. The features that drew my attention above others was the ability to recharge the battery via sunlight and the atomic clock synchronization (I do not like having to wonder the accuracy of the time or having to keep switching between DST or EST). Countless times I have run a watch dead and then it took forever to get the time to replace the battery; no more. The strength of the crystal is high; I have slammed this watch into multiple hard surfaces and the lens has not cracked or scratched. The black anodized surfaces have stood up to the abuse I tend to put my watches through during everyday wear. The only aspect of the watch that is non reliable is the temperature reading; while a nifty feature, it is inaccurate as the value can be skewed by ones body temperature at the wrist. The stopwatch, timers, barometer, world time, date, atomic clock syncing, and compass have worked as advertised and have been accurate. The band has held up to daily use and has not broken, but has exhibited above average wear in such a short period. I would recommend replacing it from the rubber/plastic composite, to either a black anodized aluminum or a solid leather. At the end of the day you will not be disappointed in spending top dollar for the watch if you need all the features provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best watch I have ever owned., April 7, 2014
Glenn (NM, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I have owned several Casio triple sensor watches, a Suunto and multiple Timex also. My most recent being the 2500 series Pathfinder. I must say, THIS is the best one in many ways. My wife bought this for our wedding anniversary (Thanks Honey!) It looks great! I have never been much for aesthetics, but this is honestly the only watch I have ever gotten compliments on. The back- light is unreal!! It is like having an actual flashlight, it is the most used feature. The glowing hands lose the bright "Glow" fairly quickly, but once your eyes adjust to the dark, you can see the fainter glow of the hands all night long. When using the "flashlight" feature, it is difficult to see the small lower LED display and sometimes the hands block the LED screen. A little nitpick really. I love the way the hands maneuver around quickly and with such precision when using the compass/altimeter/barometer/world time, etc. Not only is it very functional, but it is very tough. I used it while stump-grinding, running a chainsaw, swimming, snowplowing, whatever. I highly recommend this timepiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fun watch!, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I have both the Casio PRW5100-1 and PRW5000Y-1 Atomic Solar watches. They have everything you need for outdoor adventures and international travel. They're both very professional looking, well made and durable. They have lots of functions, and, therefore, keeping the manual close by is handy. Once you learn the functions, no problem. I downloaded the manuals as a .pdf file in the Kindle apps of my iPhone and iPad. I recommend these watches without reservation. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars accurate., May 26, 2013
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
Needs some time to learn how to use it's multiple functions. Without calibration the altimeter still comes close to the true reading. Very rugged and comfortable. I used while skiing and it held up to the jolting and jarring associated with the sport (just as it claimed it would).

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissatisfied With Performance, June 6, 2014
Grumpy "Grumpy" (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I have owned the Casio PRW5100 for a little over a year. At first I would have given the watch 5+ Stars but now, 2 Stars. Between the hour hand of 8 through 11, the minute hand gets off by 5 to 15 minutes. By the afternoon, the hands display the correct time. I have to do the HS function everyday to get the hands to setup correctly. For the amount of money the watch costs, you would think it would be more reliable. I have read other reviews where owners are experiencing the same problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I have always been a watch geek. I had one of the first Casio thermometer watches in the 80s, a databank watch and then two Casio barometer watches when they came out (BM100W and BM200W). More recently I had a Suunto X9i. It was a decent watch with ABC functions (and GPS) but the face broke numerous times under warranty (to the point where they gave me instructions on how to fix myself with provided replacement) to finally breaking out of warranty. I like traditional analog faces and I also have a Citizen Navihawk ecodrive which I like, but it doesn't have any extras. I like the solar charging aspect and the luminous dials on the face-at night they are quite bright. I thought the light would be more electroluminescent, but it is an "old school" bright LED which works, but isn't as consistent across the watch face. I like to watch the barometric trends and took the watch skiing last week and was able to see the height difference between the tops and bottoms of the hills. As with most watches the thermometer isn't very accurate on your wrist. The first Casio watch I had in the 80s had a "wrist mode" which took body heat into account. I wonder why this feature wasn't continued with this or my Suunto watch. However, this isn't crucial. This watch may not be as hardcore useful for more extreme hiking as some of the Suunto and other brands, but I like its look and its ability to offer ABC functions on a watch that could be worn in more formal situations. But for daily wear and hiking every now and then I think offers a really good blend of function and form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate Timepiece, February 24, 2015
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
I received this watch for Christmas from my wife, and I was impressed at the quality of it. I have other Casio watches but this one has a much better and thicker band, and heavy duty buckle on it. I took some time to read the manual, and got it set up in my time zone, etc. It is very easy to read the time and date and day of the week on it. I have two atomic clocks in my house, and I see that when they digitally tick off 30 seconds into a minute, my sweep-second hand on my watch crosses over the 6 exactly at the same time as both clocks, thus denoting they have all three been set by the atomic clock signal in Fort Collins, Colorado. I live in Minnesota, and have no problem getting the signal here. I love the accuracy of the watch, and have only looked at the other features of the watch a few times. The crystal remains scratchless and clear, and I am very happy with the watch so far. See my photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars best watch ever., June 3, 2014
This review is from: Casio - Protrek - PRW5100-1 Atomic/Solar watch (Watch)
if you are looking for a complete watch this is it, there is nothing more out there, I completely recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›