4.0 out of 5 stars good watch for the humble price
All declared functions (barometer, altimeter, termometer, alarms) work good. But you must understand how altimeter works: even on the table altimeter can show different altitude if atmospheric pressure changes. Calibrate it every time pressure changes to get proper altitude measurment.
I'm not sure if the window is mineral - it can be easily scratched like...
Published on December 16, 2010 by Mak

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold up.
I wore this watch for about 2 months but then the face started to disappear and now the buttons don't work either.
Published 7 months ago by Daniel

4.0 out of 5 stars good watch for the humble price, December 16, 2010
I'm not sure if the window is mineral - it can be easily scratched like plastic.
Other disadvantage is bad viewing angles of the screen: even right angle is not OK, it is better to look at the sreen angularly.
Rather big watch - be aware!
I like this watch - low-cost but functional. I only miss a compass and scratch-proof window:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb deal for an altimeter-barometer watch, August 14, 2011
J. Lee (Morristown, NJ) - See all my reviews
PROS: Rugged, retro styling, current time shown in every mode, accurate barometer, great feature set for the price

CONS: Digital display has modest viewing angles, resin band is thin, altimeter is pressure-based

Overall, this SGW300 series represents a terrific bang for the buck. I was debating between this watch and the G-Shock Riseman (which I may still end up getting one day). At 1/3 the price, this SGW300 possesses an accurate barometer with trend arrow, a world clock (more cities than the Riseman!), and good toughness (100M water resistance, works in both temperature extremes). Since purchasing the SGW300, I haven't been disappointed.

Three styles are available for the SGW300: black resin band, green cloth band, and stainless steel (folded link) bracelet. I chose the black resin for aesthetics and functionality. The black looked stylish and uniform on the case (the green one has light gray buttons and a dark gray sensor on the left, which I didn't like) and the green window on top reminded me of some old-school Casio's. Plus I didn't want to deal with odor/sweat issues with the cloth band. On the negative side, the resin band does get thin and the buckle is plastic. The SGW300 does have 18mm lugs, however, suggesting that the band can be replaced should the original wear out. The buttons on the side of the case are easy and pleasant to press.

It's a sizeable watch, but on my 6.5" wrist, the SGW300 looks and wears fine. [EDIT 11/2011- I ended up trimming 0.25" off the end of the band because it protruded a bit too much. I smoothed it down with an emery board. The overall look is much improved.)

I love how time is displayed on EVERY mode. And the alarm tones are reasonably loud. The display, on the other hand, is merely decent. At some angles, the uncluttered display shows thick, dark digits quite clearly. Yet many other angles cause the LCD digits to fade quickly -- I've seen better (the Casio Fishing Watch comes to mind). Illumination of the display is produced by two amber LEDs, which work well. One can customize the duration of the illumination, a feature that more expensive models often lack.

Like other Casio's, this altimeter is pressure based and can be unreliable if the weather changes. There is no trend guide for the altimeter, nor is there any memory mode. The thermometer, as mentioned in other reviews, needs to be off the wrist for at least 15+ minutes before correctly registering ambient temperature.

The SGW300 is a hidden gem in the Casio world. It shares and sometimes surpasses the features of more expensive models. It lacks the frills of atomic clock synchronization and solar battery power (the SGW300 battery is rated to last at least 3 yrs). In the process, the SGW300 emerges as an affordable watch for its extensive feature set, handsome retro looks, and good durability. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Economical, Accurate: Great Value, January 27, 2013
I read hundreds of wristwatch altimeter reviews before settling on this watch. Other reviewers (both amateur and industry product testers) noted that this watch provides a quality altimeter for a fraction of the cost of similar, high-functioning products. I am happy to report that this well-crafted piece of equipment lives up the hype. In the course of my research I learned that most watch altimeters read altitude based on barometric pressure, and that this can change not just in response to height, but also weather changes. One must always be prepared to re-calibrate these watches at a known altitude at the starting point of each trip. That said, I found that every time I checked it was accurate to within 50 feet--even when rapidly ascending and descending in my car--even when ascending during fast-moving storms and highly variable weather (something I had not expected). It never quit on me, even in below-zero wind-chill on Mt. Hood. The temperature gauge is only accurate when the watch has been off your body for at least 15 minutes, but it still works. The more expensive version of this watch includes a digital compass, which may be dangerously inaccurate and not necessary. I am in awe of the performance capacity of this amazing piece of equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, December 17, 2011
Don't pass this watch up! I've been wanting a twin sensor G shock for some time, but couldn't bring myself to pay nearly 100$(or more) for something that I flet was a gimmick,I mean,come on, a watch that does these functions accurately? I was leery to say the least. So when I stumbled upon this beauty I said "for 40$, what the heck",so I pulled the trigger and I am glad I did! I love the look,sort of a cross between a pathfinder and a G shock. I'ts a good size ,about the size of my 5600. It's also lightweight and very comfortable,I hardly know I'm wearing it. It has a rugged,handsome look to it. The Barro/Temp readings are pretty accurate. I crosscheck them with my digital weather station and it is usually spot on. The altimeter reading is pressure based so it could be off based on what the current temp/barro readings are. I calibrated mine to give readings while I am wearing it.I don't care what the readings are while it is off my arm,I have other things for that.With a little time and patience you can achieve pretty darn good,consistant readings. The alarm tones are loud enough to wake me. The lighting is good, it's not backlit like my G shocks, but it is sufficent. The buttons have a nice feel to them, the screen is large and easy to read.One thing I would like to see improved is whether all the alarms are on. Currently it only tells if an alarm is on, it doesn't matter if they all are on or only one is you just get an alarm on icon. Otherwise this a fine watch that i would reccomend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as advertised!, March 25, 2014
This watch is exactly what I was looking for to take camping, hiking, and backpacking. I like it so much I'm wearing it day to day! Just as advertised, this watch is full of features, convenient, and useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great functional watch, January 22, 2012
F. Fischer (Hayden, ID USA) - See all my reviews
My Casio watches tend to last me for 6+ years, going through 3+ bands. Last model, I just wore out the contacts on the buttons! So I look for a watch with an easily replaceable, inexpensive band, meaning I can go to Kmart or Shopko and get one easily. Check. I also look for easy or user friendly functions with ease of programing. Check. I want easily legible face and numerals. Check. Water resistance is necessary because we kayak and my watch is too often in the water; my last Casio NEVER had any issues with getting wet. Check. I wanted a watch with multiple alarms this time so I didn't have to keep resetting my morning alarm for various events through the day or week. 5 alarms are great and very easy to set. The barometer is fine and I use it occasionally to get a read on the weather, but the thermometer actually gets a good read on your wrist temp .. unless you take it off for 15 mins to see what the air temp is! And the Altimeter of course uses the barometric reading to determine elevation. So if you don't know what your 'reference' elevation is, you can't really trust the reading, other than it is likely close by 500+/- feet! You can reset it based upon a map or web site ref for elevation, but I need to look at the instructions to do that 'cause I don't do it often enough and that function is not 'obvious' to me. Good enough though for camping and travel for general relative elevation changes.

Overall a great watch, a bit more $$ than I wanted to spend, but after 2+ months have been very happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold up., December 30, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, December 15, 2013
I love the watch but the band is held on by very small pins and breaks easily. I'm a firefighter and this watch broke within normal use just a few days past the "return deadline". too bad as the watch is ok. Like others said the thermometer is useless unless you take it off for ten minutes. altitude was off on mine after calibration by 20 feet or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This a wonderful item!, June 23, 2013
I like this watch, looks so well in my wrist. it is comfortable. You can buy it for a good price. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch for the Price!!, July 29, 2014
I bought it for the look because just about all digital watches have the "basic" functions like a stopwatch, timer, alarm. The temp naturally will read a little high from your body heat so you need to take it off for the most accurate reading, but hey it's a watch!! I didn't really care for the barometer and altimeter functions, so I can't comment of those, but out of the box the altimeter was within about 50 ft. If you need to be more precise than that, why wouldn't you get an actual altimeter/barometer/thermometer? Remember it's watch which is a time keeping device.

Bottom line, would I buy another one? Yes, but it bet there will be better watches more in style in a few years.

Rate and Discover Movies