Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's SGW300H-1AVCF Twin Sensor Multi-Function Digital Sport Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on August 14, 2011
PROS: Rugged, retro styling, current time shown in every mode, accurate barometer, great feature set for the price

CONS: Digital display has modest viewing angles, resin band is thin, altimeter is pressure-based

Overall, this SGW300 series represents a terrific bang for the buck. I was debating between this watch and the G-Shock Riseman (which I may still end up getting one day). At 1/3 the price, this SGW300 possesses an accurate barometer with trend arrow, a world clock (more cities than the Riseman!), and good toughness (100M water resistance, works in both temperature extremes). Since purchasing the SGW300, I haven't been disappointed.

Three styles are available for the SGW300: black resin band, green cloth band, and stainless steel (folded link) bracelet. I chose the black resin for aesthetics and functionality. The black looked stylish and uniform on the case (the green one has light gray buttons and a dark gray sensor on the left, which I didn't like) and the green window on top reminded me of some old-school Casio's. Plus I didn't want to deal with odor/sweat issues with the cloth band. On the negative side, the resin band does get thin and the buckle is plastic. The SGW300 does have 18mm lugs, however, suggesting that the band can be replaced should the original wear out. The buttons on the side of the case are easy and pleasant to press.

It's a sizeable watch, but on my 6.5" wrist, the SGW300 looks and wears fine. [EDIT 11/2011- I ended up trimming 0.25" off the end of the band because it protruded a bit too much. I smoothed it down with an emery board. The overall look is much improved.)

I love how time is displayed on EVERY mode. And the alarm tones are reasonably loud. The display, on the other hand, is merely decent. At some angles, the uncluttered display shows thick, dark digits quite clearly. Yet many other angles cause the LCD digits to fade quickly -- I've seen better (the Casio Fishing Watch comes to mind). Illumination of the display is produced by two amber LEDs, which work well. One can customize the duration of the illumination, a feature that more expensive models often lack.

Like other Casio's, this altimeter is pressure based and can be unreliable if the weather changes. There is no trend guide for the altimeter, nor is there any memory mode. The thermometer, as mentioned in other reviews, needs to be off the wrist for at least 15+ minutes before correctly registering ambient temperature.

The SGW300 is a hidden gem in the Casio world. It shares and sometimes surpasses the features of more expensive models. It lacks the frills of atomic clock synchronization and solar battery power (the SGW300 battery is rated to last at least 3 yrs). In the process, the SGW300 emerges as an affordable watch for its extensive feature set, handsome retro looks, and good durability. Highly recommended.
on December 16, 2010
All declared functions (barometer, altimeter, termometer, alarms) work good. But you must understand how altimeter works: even on the table altimeter can show different altitude if atmospheric pressure changes. Calibrate it every time pressure changes to get proper altitude measurment.
I'm not sure if the window is mineral - it can be easily scratched like plastic.
Other disadvantage is bad viewing angles of the screen: even right angle is not OK, it is better to look at the sreen angularly.
Rather big watch - be aware!
I like this watch - low-cost but functional. I only miss a compass and scratch-proof window:)
on January 27, 2013
I read hundreds of wristwatch altimeter reviews before settling on this watch. Other reviewers (both amateur and industry product testers) noted that this watch provides a quality altimeter for a fraction of the cost of similar, high-functioning products. I am happy to report that this well-crafted piece of equipment lives up the hype. In the course of my research I learned that most watch altimeters read altitude based on barometric pressure, and that this can change not just in response to height, but also weather changes. One must always be prepared to re-calibrate these watches at a known altitude at the starting point of each trip. That said, I found that every time I checked it was accurate to within 50 feet--even when rapidly ascending and descending in my car--even when ascending during fast-moving storms and highly variable weather (something I had not expected). It never quit on me, even in below-zero wind-chill on Mt. Hood. The temperature gauge is only accurate when the watch has been off your body for at least 15 minutes, but it still works. The more expensive version of this watch includes a digital compass, which may be dangerously inaccurate and not necessary. I am in awe of the performance capacity of this amazing piece of equipment.
on December 17, 2011
Don't pass this watch up! I've been wanting a twin sensor G shock for some time, but couldn't bring myself to pay nearly 100$(or more) for something that I flet was a gimmick,I mean,come on, a watch that does these functions accurately? I was leery to say the least. So when I stumbled upon this beauty I said "for 40$, what the heck",so I pulled the trigger and I am glad I did! I love the look,sort of a cross between a pathfinder and a G shock. I'ts a good size ,about the size of my 5600. It's also lightweight and very comfortable,I hardly know I'm wearing it. It has a rugged,handsome look to it. The Barro/Temp readings are pretty accurate. I crosscheck them with my digital weather station and it is usually spot on. The altimeter reading is pressure based so it could be off based on what the current temp/barro readings are. I calibrated mine to give readings while I am wearing it.I don't care what the readings are while it is off my arm,I have other things for that.With a little time and patience you can achieve pretty darn good,consistant readings. The alarm tones are loud enough to wake me. The lighting is good, it's not backlit like my G shocks, but it is sufficent. The buttons have a nice feel to them, the screen is large and easy to read.One thing I would like to see improved is whether all the alarms are on. Currently it only tells if an alarm is on, it doesn't matter if they all are on or only one is you just get an alarm on icon. Otherwise this a fine watch that i would reccomend to anyone!
on May 29, 2014
The model numbers are confusing. Amazon's product page and Casio's website both call this SGW300H-1AV. Once you put it in your shopping cart on Amazon, it is referred to as SGW300H-1AVCF. I did receive the desired product with desired band (resin), and the packaging confirms that it is SGW-300H-1AVCF.

I had been considering spending $150 for a barometer watch, and am so glad I discovered this instead. For about 2-3x the price of a bottom-of-the-line wristwatch, you get a barometer. But note that unless you live in a complete flatland, you will see pressure changes as you travel up/down even over very small hills. So, you learn to ignore the pressure changes as you commute, for example. However, this watch adds value in a few ways. First, you get actual local pressure -- not that of a city 30 miles away. Second, having it on your wrist gives you something to think about in idle moments (it's fun to watch the pressure change, watch the direction clouds are moving overhead, and imagine where the highs and lows might be). Third, it's kind of cool to see how much pressure changes with altitude. Actually, there's a down-side to this. Where I live, the pressure has been around 24.8 inches. Since all the weather reports and books use sea-level pressure, I have no intuitive feeling for whether 24.8 inches is high or low. I guess I will develop that with time, but for now I'm just watching how the numbers change over time. Actually, there is a pressure trend section of the watch which shows an arrow near the middle for small changes, and farther to the left or right for larger changes. It does seem to work in general, but I am not sure how reliable this feature is, since it sometimes seems to show a change that doesn't match my interpretation based on the numbers displayed. But perhaps it is referencing the original data at higher resolution, while I am displaying the numbers in mmHg, which is rounded to the nearest 0.05.

The altimeter reading is merely calculated from the barometer reading, and I will probably place more trust in the GPS-based altitude on my Android device, since that doesn't require accounting for weather changes. However, it is convenient to be able to glance down at my wrist for approximate altitude while driving.

The thermometer, which shows a compromise between your wrist temperature and air temperature, has but one practical use: To measure the temperature in places where you habitually take the watch off for long periods (e.g. bedroom or perhaps office). Even when you take it off, it takes a long, long time to adjust to ambient temperature. I made the mistake of recalibrating the thermometer, because I couldn't believe it was showing 80 degrees in my house half an hour after I took it off! There is no way to go back to factory calibration (although you can obviously re-calibrate using another thermometer). My advice is to be patient, and trust the factory calibration.

The other aspects of the watch are just what you would imagine if you were to pay $15 for a non-barometer Casio watch. The displays are perfectly visible from all typical angles. The screen does not scratch from normal wiping with finger/shirt but I'm sure it will when it hits a rock. The watch is about 1-7/8 inches across (perpendicular to the band), not insanely bulky.

The main design criticism I have is that, when you are in barometer mode, if you want to see the altitude, you have to press the Mode button five times to get into Time mode and then press the Alti button. Since other than the barometer/altimeter it's just a cheap watch, it seems silly not to allow the user to conveniently toggle between barometer and altimeter mode (e.g., just let the user press Alti while in barometer mode -- currently, this has no effect!). Also it would be nice to have the date displayed all the time without having to go into Time mode. Also, I would have gladly paid a little more if they could have added moon phase, tides, and sunrise/sunset times! Surprisingly, there seem to be no affordable watches that combine all these features. Since the pressure-trend display is blank in most of the watch's modes (or useless in Time mode, where it just shows graphic display of seconds), it would have been easy to put moon phase or tide height there, for example.

I was going to buy the version with analog hands added (SGW400H), but was concerned the hands might block the barometer reading, which was the main feature of interest for me, so that didn't seem worth the risk. I would have bought that if it had a feature to automatically fold the hands down (which some expensive models offer). Another feature I thought would be cool is a graph-like display of the pressure over time, which some watches offer, but if you are commuting up/down hills that would not be meaningful most of the time anyway.

All in all, it's a decent watch and well worth adding just $20-30 to have the barometer.
on February 23, 2016
I loved it...when it worked. I am not sure if I got a bunk one or not but the battery wore out after 6 months. Then I burnt through 4 replacement batteries over four months. Different batteries from different packages. The watch was easy to use and seemed pretty durable. It just stopped working
VINE VOICEon April 20, 2016
This is certainly not going to be the most comprehensive review I've ever written, but there is a solid ring of authenticity about it with which it's hard to argue. This was given as a Christmas gift to our 10 year old grandson. When asked recently how it's working for him, the look on his face before even the first word was uttered, was priceless! His response? "I LOVE it! I've worn it non-stop since I got it, except in the shower. I NEVER take it off!" (That includes playing baseball and his numerous other activities. It's certainly durable!)
on June 23, 2014
I bought this watch for my husband for fathers day and he loves it. It is an update on his old watch I bought many years ago. As a retired Meteorologist he enjoys keeping track of weather temps. water temps. compass readings, altimeter, etc. He finds it easy to work with. He says it's a nicer design than his old watch. A great buy. Thanks Amazon!
on September 24, 2014
This watch has exceeded my expectations, bought an expensive Suunto ($350) and it broke within a year, this Casio just keeps on ticking and it gives me an approximate altitude and temperature. Sure it is not super-precise, but please... you are paying $50 bucks for it.
on April 5, 2013
I have been using this watch hiking and skiing regularly since it arrived. I wanted the altimeter feature. It works on barometric pressure, not magic, so the user needs to understand the basics of topo map use and the nature of barometric altimeter readings. I don't adjust the altimeter readings. I just check it at known altitudes, paying attention to the trend in atmospheric pressure, and do the adjustment math in my head. Inexpensive, simple, and effective!

I don't really use the thermometer, though it is available if the user is willing to take the watch off to let it equilibrate.

It is too big for me to want to wear it for everyday.