5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best watch I own
Published on June 9, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Outdoors Watch
I wear this every day to work at a construction site and it has held up well even to wet concrete.

It works well as a regular sports watch and has everything you would expect from a chronograph.

The barometer, temp gauge, and altitude readout are cool but there a few things to remember...

The temp gauge will never read the exact...
Published 3 months ago by Sambed

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best watch I own, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW300HB-3AVCF Multi-Function Sport Watch with Green Nylon Band (Watch)
I am retired military and law enforcement... been through a lot of watches. I have a few Pathfinders and a Suunto, but I really like this watch - it has everything I need. I do some land navigation and survival instruction and use this watch exclusively. The only thing it does not have that my Pathfinders do, is the compass feature... but I honestly never use the compass built into the watch. You'd be hard pressed to find a better watch, even at twice the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little watch, April 5, 2012
Watch is nice, no doubt. You can't go wrong with Casio afterall.
I wanted a watch with an altimeter and got one for a cheap price.

Pros:
* Aesthetic, nice, no complaints about the look. Definitely does not feel cheap
* Pretty cheap price, but as I said does not feel cheap
* Has the nice function of altimeter, barometer and thermostat - the things I needed
* Altimeter is never accurate but this one does a good enough job (just as good as the $200 watch equivalent)
* World time is nice, lets you view the time in different timezone locations (with or without daylight saving)
* Daylight saving aware, new for me, maybe it's standard already in most watches...
* 5 alarm clocks

Cons:
* The thing that annoys me the most is that the alarm rings just once (10-15 seconds) and then shuts off. I'd like to see something that would ring until you shut it off & perhaps then nag you again. Can be solved though by setting a few alarms (you have 5)
* World time interface lacks a bit, clicking the wrong button and you have to cycle through all the timezones to get back to the timezone you want. In addition the interface includes only 3 abbreviations which are not always very clear. The interface in that screen is just bad as it shows the abbreviation of the timezone near the local time and the time in that timezone below it in a different "window"
* Some people might complain about viewing angles. I'm not.

All in all it's a good watch, just not perfect. I like this watch altogether and thinks it's a good bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barometer, Altimeter, Thermometer and Clock for 43 bucks?, February 16, 2013
Are you kidding me?

Nope, not kidding. Thanks Casio, you've come through again. This is an awesome watch and rivals others hundreds of dollars more. I'm wearing it right now and have been for several months. And I don't even like watches!

I bought this to go backpacking in, hated no knowing exactly what time it was. I got way more than I bargained for. The Barometer is priceless and very accurate. When a low pressure system is approaching the watch will tell you how fast it's coming in 5 gradations. If it's on 4 or 5, take cover quick!

Yes, of course, the altimeter needs to be calibrated often and with regularity, especially if the barometer is not steady. But that is the way with altimeters, even the ones in airplanes. It denotes altitude in segments of 20 ft. That is plenty precise for me. The thermometer works accurately but you must take it off your wrist first and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wish it went further down than 15 degrees F, but oh well. That's the way most of these watches are, even the expensive ones.

The looks are nice too, you won't mistake this for a pretty boy watch by ant means. It's rough and rugged. It's not as huge as some of the watches you see, I'd call it mid-size. Supposedly water resistant down to 100 meters which means you can swim in it, bang it around in the water and it will be fine.

Love the green synthetic woven material they used for the band. Better than leather or plastic/rubber. It doesn't stretch. Holds fast.

Best of all, for 43 bucks you can beat the hell out of this thing and not worry about it. If you're like me, that's a big plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio do it all watch, March 31, 2011
This is a fantastic value...Great quality...Very accurate...I bought it because I have a G shock model I have worn snow skiing, water skiing, diving....Absolutely bullet proof...I bought it 26 years ago...been through 4 or 5 bands but the watch is still super accurate...I am a retired Police Officer...Every watch I ever bought for work broke except this one...My new watch does everything and has a better band...Believe it will outlast me!!
Greg,

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, rugged and comfortable watch, March 11, 2014
I love reading reviews on the web. So entertaining.

Folks, this is a $42 wrist watch. And I think it is an incredible value for $42. So here are some thoughts and comments:

First, the nylon band is quite comfortable, much more comfortable than the resin bands found on most of the Casio G-Shock watches. The band seems stiff at first, but in short order it will soften up and contour to your wrist. The best part is the nice tight spacing between the adjustment holes, allowing much finer adjustment than the resin bands. My wrists swell slightly when I am working hard, when it is hot, or by the end of a long day, and I can loosen the band just a teensy bit so it isn't tight. The nylon band will get dirty, especially if you sweat a lot, but it cleans nicely with a little liquid hand soap and an old toothbrush or a bristle brush. The leather ends attaching the band to the watch itself hold up pretty well, much better than the resin band ends.

The face of the watch is easy to read. The main screen shows the time, day and date. The backlight is sufficient to read all the info on the screen. There are some reviews that gripe about the short duration of the illumination, but having it short saves battery life. And yes, this is a battery powered watch, not a solar powered model.

The crystal is pretty tough. Much better than a plastic crystal. I beat the crap out of mine, but have yet to put a significant scratch or ding in it. Welding splatter will definitely damage the crystal, but that is the case with virtually any crystal available.

The watch is fairly large, but not as thick or bulky as an older (original) G-Shock model I had 10 years ago. The watch is nice and light, lighter than you might guess from its appearance. Compared to many of the "Wrist-Clocks" that seem to be in vogue these days the watch isn't over-sized.

I find the buttons quite easy to use. They are protected from accidental bumping and activation by the side sensor housings and the screw housings, and you definitely have to want to push them to activate their functions, but I see that as a plus. I use my timer regularly which requires pushing all of the buttons (getting to the timer function, starting, stopping and resetting the timer etc) and I find it easy to use. Several reviewers have commented on the buttons being difficult, especially when wearing gloves. OK, I guess the buttons would be difficult if I was wearing heavy gloves, but I don't think I've ever seen a wrist-watch that was glove friendly.

The Barometer/altimeter function seems to be generally misunderstood by many reviewers. I've found the barometer to be fairly accurate when compared to a calibrated unit. I've checked mine numerous times against the Automatic Weather Observation System (AWOS) at the airport that I fly out of as well as other airports, and it generally within a few percent of the indicated current pressure. The altimeter is only as accurate as the watches calibration to the current atmospheric pressure, and folks, the atmospheric pressure changes constantly, and often by quite a bit. The watch has no automatic way to adjust for the constantly varying pressure, hence the indicated altimeter reading is often inaccurate. If you care to learn the process, you can calibrate the watch using a known altitude for you exact location, and then keep track of your elevation changes for a short while, but the calibration will only be accurate until the pressure changes. Too much work for my purposes. I find that the altimeter is nice to get a general idea of what your elevation is, not for navigating using the contour lines on a topo map to determine an exact location.

The alarm on both of the units that I have had is very sufficient as a wake-up alarm. I don't have the best hearing, and have no problem hearing it in normal noise level environments. If you get one that is hard to hear, or seem muted, send it back and get a different one. Ya gotta remember, this is a $42 watch made over-seas, packaged, shipped across the ocean to a distributor, then shipped again to your house all for the cost of a couple of movie tickets, sodas and some popcorn.

The cons? For one, the watch will out-last the watch-band and the battery. My bands seem to last about 3 years until the leather ends are shot. The nylon part appears to be indestructible. The only replacement band I can find is $29. A battery is $10 to $15 at the cheap watch-shop in the mall, and that does not include a replacement gasket for the watch-back. So, when the band wears out it is cheaper to order a new watch from Amazon that to get a new band and battery. Hopefully I'll find a more reasonable replacement band one day. For now I can put a $5 resin-band on my old unit and keep it as a backup (18mm band width at the pins).

The thermometer is affected by the heat from your body, and really does not give you any idea of the outside temp. As others have noted, you can take the watch off and set it in the shade for 10 or 15 minutes and it will give a fairly accurate ambient temperature. Nice if you are asleep inside your tent and wake up wondering just how cold it really is, but not really useful for taking a quick check of the temperature. But......I've never heard of a wrist-watch that was any different.

Bottom line? This is a very nice, accurate, rugged, and feature filled watch for $42. You can get one, wear it, beat it like a kid's Christmas drum, swim with it, stick it in the dish sink and not worry about ruining a heirloom-grade time-piece. Like all Casio's and most digital watches, it will keep accurate time, remember what day and date it is (programmed for longer than I'll live), wake you up when you need it to, time your bread in the oven, workout or flight time and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio's Do it all Watch, March 24, 2012
I was looking to buy a pathfinder and while searching I came across this watch. It is not a pathfinder but it is very close to it for around 1/5th the price. Light and comfortable and looks good. Functions well, Temp/Alti work well once calibrated. The 5 alarm and snooze function come handy as does the 29 time zone setting. Big Dial but just the right size for my hand :) though lean people will find it a tad larger. Happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could maybe be a LITTLE more accurate......, June 23, 2013
Basically this is a nice watch; it has time zone functions, 5 alarms & hourly signal, countdown timer, and a stopwatch. Plus the display gives day month & date. It also seems to be very accurate.
The downsides are twofold:
1.) The temperature reading. If the watch has been sitting on a desk all night and you pick it up and press the button to get a temperature reading it will be reasonably accurate -- within maybe a degree or so. However, put it on your wrist and let it assume body temperature and you get some amalgam of air temp + body temp = Nonsense data.
2.) The altimeter. It comes from the factory preset with certain data that allows it to take air pressure readings and deduce the altitude where you are is. But if you KNOW the official altitude is you can set that as a basemark. Well, I did just that. Where I live the official altitude is 561 feet. You can't set it in increments of 1 foot, only in 20 ft. increments, so I used 560 ft.
But since then I've seen it tell me I am 280 feet above sea level, 300 ft. above sea level, 400 feet, as well as a few other obviously WRONG measurements. Well, the instructions say don't use this watch for official purposes.
NO KIDDING!
As far as the barometer is concerned .... dunno. It really doesn't change that much and it seems reasonable but I have little reason to believe it's any better than the other sensor functions.
But, hey, the watch is great at telling time. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, March 8, 2012
It is not a pathfinder, but it is darn close for a fraction of the price. Very light and the band is very comfortable. Functions well, temp is on point and the Alti works well once calibrated. I thought it would wear a little bigger, but it is fine for what i'm using it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, June 10, 2012
Watch shipped to Australia in quicker time than advertised. Was working straight out of the box and initial setup was straight forward although I found the small printing in the included manual difficult to read.
As other reviewers have indicated, it's very important to set reference altitudes and barometric pressure to enable the watch to measure values correctly.
All things considered, it's great value for the price tag and very accurate timekeeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio SGW300HB B-for black but really it should say G-for green, April 26, 2012
First off I'm not a watch wearer, I haven't found a watch that I can have on my wrist long enough, but I think I just did. I love the watch, the style, the color and the wrist band. If you're trying to decide between this and the H model, I would definitely take this, I've tried on both and this is by far the most comfortable watch band I've worn. To me this watch is perfect (if there is such a thing) if your looking at it, buy it, for the price you can't go wrong. Highly recommended.