5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate once its calibrated
Published on March 31, 2012 by JetSet

3.0 out of 5 stars Casio Men's SGW400H-1B Sport Multi-Function Grey Dial Watch
Published 20 months ago by ArkEtect

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate once its calibrated, March 31, 2012
This is my first Casio watch in 20 years. I've had this watch for a month now. I fly airplanes for a living and got this watch for all my hiking and cycling that I do when on the ground. I've found it to be extremely accurate. I am able to calibrate the barometer, thermometer, and altimeter each time before a flight according to airport ATIS. Alternatively, I've used readings from Weather Underground to calibrate it as well. I use a GPS unit to calibrate the altitude or use airfield elevation as a reference.

Once calibrated, the readings are nothing short of phenomenal. When in the cockpit, the altimeter reads exactly what the cabin altitude is to an accuracy of +/-100 feet. (Cabin alt readings are in 100ft scale anyway on flight deck displays). Temperature readings are accurate if you leave it off your wrist for a few minutes (as the manual suggests). The altimeter reads accurately outdoors to within 10ft (cross-checked with a GPS unit) and the barometer is accurate as well - reading 1030hPa when the ATIS reported 1031. Quite remarkable.

All this accuracy boils down to one thing - proper calibration.

Build-wise, the watch is super light. It's easy to forget you're wearing a watch. It's constructed of resin and plastic and so should not take knocks and bumps as well as a tough solar. But hey, for the price, it can't be beat. And yes, it tells the time and displays two timezones, has multiple alarms and tells you the date and day. (Whew) I'm a happy guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, February 4, 2012
I got this watch this Christmas for my outdoor activities and so far it met all of my expectations. First of all, it is very light and comfortable. The dial is quite large and the data is quite visible on the digital screens. The watch is very accurate and I love the way the analog hands adjust themselves after the digital clock when changing time zones. If you want to get correct outside temperature readings you need to take it off otherwise the body temperature will alter the results. The altimeter was a bit off (10m / 30ft) however I've recalibrated it recently at sea level and now the reading is very accurate. The barometer seems to work very well and it shows if the weather is getting better or worse - very handy info when hiking. The alarm function is great with a total of 5 different alarms. I've also use it under water (7m / 20ft) and it worked very well - you just need to remember to rinse it in fresh water after diving in the ocean or pool. All in all a very nice sports watch at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars all purpose sports watch, October 22, 2012
I love this watch. At this price it is awesome. Here is quick review:

Pros:
1. Big dial, even with so much information it does not feel cluttered.
2. Despite being big, very light and comfortable.
3. Very accurate in measuring time, temperature, height and pressure.
4. Glowing hands enable you to see time in dark without any extra effort. To see other feature entire watch glows at press of a button.
5. Dual time and multiple alarms are nice and useful features.

Cons:
1. alarm duration is small and sound is low. Can't use it for waking me up.
2. to measure temperature you have to take it off for couple of minutes.

Update on 11/6/2013 after using it for a year: Still going good. It is so comfy that at time I sleep and bath with it on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Accurate, November 7, 2011
The watch time, when set to the official U.S. time clock (for me, its [...]) loses around five seconds per month The altimeter, when calibrated on a day I want to use it, is within 20 Meters of another standard when I travel, and subsequently head to the hills, or head down to sea level. The thermometer is accurate also. What else can I say!

3.0 out of 5 stars Casio Men's SGW400H-1B Sport Multi-Function Grey Dial Watch, March 4, 2013
ArkEtect (South Bend, IN) - See all my reviews
Initially I wanted a multifunction watch that didn't cost an arm and leg and I researched many products before settling on the Casio SGW400H-1B, it looked like just the ticket for less than $70. It's a handsome watch and fairly easy to read because of decent contrast in normal lighting conditions and it is not as bulky on my wrist as a more sofisticated and expensive multifunction watch would be.

The main reason for my 3-star rating stems from the hour hand being significantly misaligned, especially noticable at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions. I accept the fact that an inexpensive watch can't be expected to provide accurate barometric pressure or altimeter readings and I know accurate temp readings must be off the wrist for a few minutes. But the lack of quality control is immediately obvious because of the misaligned analog hands and the alignment is not resolved by following the instruction manual.

Such is the nature of mass-produced consumer level products made in third world countries. I got what I paid for. I still plan to buy a higher quality Casio multifunction watch (near $200) that doesn't have analog hands that won't detract from it's beauty and functionality. Until then I'll live with my choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tool., January 11, 2013
Initially I didn't like this watch. Biggest prob was couldn't see the digital display in the dark and the analog lum was too dim. decided to keep since it didn't cost very much. After changing to a nylon strap with velcro closure, have really come to love it. I like the fact that I can time workouts while veiwing the time.
Hey. Its a casio. You simply cant kill them. Wish it was solar, wish it was atomic. But for the money I am pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars casio watch, February 22, 2012
Easy to read numbers, multi time zone, day-date, everything I need in an inexpensive watch(I lose and/or break them alot).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch!! Meets expectation from Casio!!, March 1, 2012
I am extremely happy with this watch. My wife gave me this watch on my birthday and I really love it. It has many functions like Barometer, thermometer, Altimeter which works great if used according to the explained method in the user guide.. It has 5 alarms, different time zone with DST support, WR upto 100 meter....and it's very easy to navigate different mode once you get to know..It also has nice backlit and an analog hands which is the best part!!!! Overall, I love this watch!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sports watch for hikers and non hikers alike. misses a compass. excellent for its price, December 11, 2013
wonderful watch. excellent for its price. i wanted a barometer/altimeter/thermometer and compass in my watch but my budget was 50$. got this one for 54 and bought a carabiner/compass for 5$. awesome for its price. wonderful watch. for serious hiking use i'd recommend a watch with a compass though. for casual use this one is unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, March 26, 2013
This is a great watch. I have bought Invictas which are amazing, however they failed to keep water out when swimming or diving, got this Casio to use as an everyday all purpose watch, job which it is fulfilling very well.