4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Watch With a Few MINOR Flaws...
100-meter water resistance
Resin Band
LED backlight
Selectable illumination duration
World time - 31 time zones (48 cities), scrolling city name display, daylight saving on/off
Sunrise and sunset times
Digital compass - second hand indication of north (20 seconds continuous measurement)
Displays direction as one of 16 points, with...
Published 15 months ago by B. Cross

3.0 out of 5 stars A watch you can use anywhere, even underwater!
Taking this watch out of the box and putting it on was a great thrill. Then I took out the instruction booklets! Oh, what a grief. Tiny print, three separate books English, French, and Spanish. The book in English is very specific, however, it is difficult to read with such small print. Then I got the brilliant idea to go to the Casio website and see if they had this...
Published 14 months ago by Clark Isaacs

Sunrise and sunset times
Displays direction as one of 16 points, with azimuth
Measuring range: 0° to 359°
Measuring unit: 1°
Bidirectional calibration & magnetic declination correction
Thermometer - display range: -10 to 60°C (14 to 140°F)
Display unit: 0.1°C (0.2°F)
Moon data (moon age at noon)
1/100-second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99'
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 100 minutes
Countdown start time setting range: 1 second to 100 minutes (1-second increments)
5 daily alarms
Hourly time signal
Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
12/24-hour format
Year/month/day display format
Button operation tone on/off
Resin Glass

The Casio SGW500H is a nice watch that boasts a complement of great features. That being said, however, I do have a few issues with it. I will first cover what I think are the shortcomings of the watch , then move on the the nifty features that makes this little beast unique.

I wasn't too impressed by the overall construction of the watch. My first impression was the watch and it's band seemed to be lightweight, almost flimsy. This is the same for the watch face, made of "resin glass" (clear plastic). I quickly discounted this as I have over 50 G-SHOCKS in my collection, so just about every other watch appears less "tough" by comparison in my opinion. I guess the same thing applies to the 100 meter water-resistance. I prefer 200 meter depth-capable watches that are suitable for SCUBA diving. This watch is not advertised for diving, but it claims 100 meter-water resistance. That is roughly 328 feet, deeper than most recreational diving depths. The moon data feature is rather odd. The watch provides you with the lunar age, but does not have an indicator displaying a graphic representation of the moon. Now, unless you know what the moon looks like based on it's age, this feature is sort of useless. The countdown timer only has a range of 100 minutes. I think it would have been better if the timer's range would have been larger (at least 24 hrs). The sensors (temperature and compass) did require some calibrating when I got the watch. Typically, the factory calibration is right on, but not in this case. A minor gripe I know, but it did gave me a chance to get aquainted with the watch. That covers what I don't like. Moving on...

The lightweight and comfort of the watch is great. While it lacks a certain degree of ruggedness, it fits on my wrist (and under my sleeves) very well and doesn't feel like wearing a brick. I dig the sunrise/sunset indicator. There isin't much to say about it, apart from it tells you when the sun rises and sets. The compass indicates North with the second hand and displays cardinal and intercardinal points as well as the azimuth in degrees on the small screen. You can input the magnetic declination angle for where you are in the world in order to display true North instead of magnetic North. The world time feature displays the full scrolling name of the city, as opposed to a three-letter abbreviation. Kind of a minor touch I know, but I like it nonetheless. Lacking electroluminesence, the watch employs a red LED that does a good job of fully illuminating the screen.

The Casio SGW 500H is a good watch that has what you would expect from a Casio. Lots of features in a compact, comfortable & lightweight package. Granted, it has are a few quirks here and there, but I think they serve to give the watch a certain uniqueness and "character". If you are looking for a watch that looks great and provides a wealth of information at the press of a button, this could be the watch for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Star Watch, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
Here is my review on this 4 star watch and the reasons why it just can't be 5 stars.

This watches durability is 4/5, I beat this watch up pretty bad unintentionally during the time I've had it. It's definitely durable and waterproof. The watch face is plastic and scratches very easily so I was quite disappointed in that. I've banged this watch against the wall while walking numerous times (on accident) and it still holds up very well. I shower with it to clean my sweat off the wrist band especially after I run and it does a great job at being waterproof. I even went diving in a river at about 7 ft and it held up just fine, the buttons should not be pressed while underwater so be careful about that.
The wrist band isn't stiff and is extremely comfortable but it seems as if it will wear out easily overtime.

The looks on this watch is also 4/5, When I saw this watch on amazon, it looked much better than when I actually got the watch. Don't get me wrong, its still a great looking watch but it just felt like something was missing from it. Probably looked a little cheap because of the plastic watch face. The hands on the watch glow in the dark which is helpful but the blue squares around the dial that marks every 5 minutes do not glow, therefore it's hard to tell what time it is at night. You can always use the light on the digital clock but if the 5 minute mark squares were glow in the dark you can just look at your watch without pressing the light function plus it would look awesome and save battery life.

Functions on this watch 4/5, Adjusting settings and functions on this watch can be a little confusing and takes a little getting use too. The manual it comes with is small but gives good instructions. The compass is very accurate after you calibrate it before use, I tested it side by side with a military compass while hiking and it showed the same readings. The compass does become inaccurate overtime due to exposure from magnetic things, so you should calibrate before use for accurate readings. I love the stopwatch and timer function because they are easy and fast to get too, I use these functions a lot when I go running. Thermometer is useless to me I wish they switched this out for a different function but since they have it I will go ahead and say this, You have to take the watch off of your wrist or else it will read your body's temperature instead of the atmosphere's temperature. Overall this watch has a good decent amount of functions it even tells you when the sun will rise and set. This watch is definitely no good at night time. The light function only goes on for about 3 seconds max and it only lights up the digital clock, so you can't see anything or set any settings without continuously pressing the light function which uses a lot of battery power as stated in the manual.

Overall this watch was a bit pricey for what its worth. It has good functions, it's durable, it fits comfortably around the wrist and looks great casually, but also has a few things that could be added or changed to make it 10 times better. If your debating on buying this watch I would definitely say the Pros of this watch make up for the Cons and you won't be disappointed with it. I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at this watch.

Here's the end of my super long review. Please let me know if it helped. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Post-Apocalyptic Survivalist Watch, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After the apocalypse, how many of life's nessecities will you be SURE to have on your person? Will your wristwatch just tell you the time, or will it tell you the time, date, tempurature, direction to the north pole, the time til sunrise/sunset, moonphase, worldtime, plus let you use it as a stopwatch, alarm, and timer? If you have the Casio Men's 2BV it will. However, even if it's NOT the apocalypse, a lot of those features could come in handy, if you're out hiking, driving, or living a normal life. The design is sporty, all black rubber like wristband, with a black bizel, and blue highlights. Plus, the watch delivers the time in both analog (hour, minute and second hand), and digital (back lit LED display) mode. The one thing the wristwatch WONT do, is allow you to program the setup for, these features without the help of the manual.

TEMPURATURE--The wristwatch tempurature readings operate thru a small themometer, imbedded somewhere on the watch. Just push the button where it says "Themometer", and it displays the current tempurature where ever you are. However, you'll need to place the watch away from contact to your body, or breath. (Or else you'll get tempurature readings around 23 degrees celsius.) Also, you'll need the one inch by two inch manual, to switch the setting from Centigrade to farenheit. DON'T LOSE THE MANUAL!

COMPASS--This feature is so cool. Press the "Compass" button, and watch the second hand point to NORTH, while the LED display will tell you which direction you're facing (SW 220 degrees.) If you're lost in the woods, a feature like this will save your life.

SUNRISE/SUNSET--If you're stranded in your car, or lost in the woods, and want to know how long til the sun rises or sets, the CASIO men's watch will tell you. However, for this feature to work, you'll need to program the watch for the longitude and latitude of your posistion. For most people, that just means looking up that information for your hometown, on the internet. Programing that information into the watch, however, requires you to keep the manual handly, so DONT LOSE IT.

MOONAGE--Another cool feature, if its cloudy and you want to know what phase the moon is in. If the moon is 14 days old, its the FULL MOON. (The new moon is 0 days, first quarter 7 days, etc.)

WORLDTIME---the LED display lists a multitude of cities, with the local time. Handly if you want to call somebody far away, and need to know if they're home from work, awake, etc.

DATE--The watch gives you month, day and year. Nice to know for conversation.

ALARM SETTING--You can set the watch to sound an alarm, with up to five different times. This feature works well for people who take medication thruout the day, like diabetics, or for appointment reminders.

STOP WATCH/COUNTDOWN TIMER--You can use the watch to either time an event, or to sound an alarm, after some predetermined lapse of time.

As for the time, the watch comes set for TOKYO. After you tell the watch where you live, the hands of the clock AUTOMATICALLY spin around, to the correct time. Apparently the correct time is programmed at the factory, with only location being your local variable. The watch also gives you the option of a 12 hour or 24 hour LED time readout, daylight savings time or standard time, or if you want your date set up day-month year, or month-day-year. (In many areas of the world, they dont use AM/PM, but rather the 24 hour setting. Its also common to use the day- month-year configuration, instead of the American system.) Programming the watch to read the tempurature in farenheit, 12 hour clock, DST/ST, local longitude and latitude, is the first order of business before wearing the watch. After programming in your settings, using the manual, retreiving the information is VERY easy to do. One button controls Tempurature, one button for Compass, and one button that togles between all the otber features. I keep the manuel inside the watch display, that comes with this model. Altho its a sporty model, I dont wear it for all occassions. I'm afraid of scratching the crystal, or tearing the watch band, when doing yardwork, for example. When not on my wrist, I keep it on the display stand, with the manual.

Overall, I'd say this is a good watch for the money. It's lightweight, waterproof, attractively styled, and has just about all the bells and whistles you might ever need in a wristwatch.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice watch, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
Thinner and flatter than my G shock. Simple and useful, also good looking. Only problem is that not so resistant to scratches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a great watch!, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
I like this watch so far.

The compass is a novelty but is fairly accurate once you set it up for the proper declension. Read the manual and you'll be enjoying this watch much more.

The thermometer is only accurate after is off your wrist for a while (like most watch thermometers).

Some people complained about it not displaying the accurate time. Easy fix: after you set your closest approximate city (this sets the time), then enter your exact latitude and longitude. Most smart phones can give you this info if you turn on your GPS. Again, read the manual.

There are three drawbacks with this watch, however, which is why I'm only giving it 4 stars.
1. The hands don't glow well and not for long. (I use my pocket flashlight to charge it if I need it.)The second hand doesn't glow at all.
2. The light is also weak. It's functional to read the digital clock but useless to see the hands.
3. The face is plastic instead of glass or crystal. That means it's easily scratched. I solved this problem by simply by picking up a generic Zagg screen guard for a cell phone. The "glass" is little under 33 millimeters in diameter. I traced that onto a manilla folder, cut out the hole, then used that as a template to cut the screen guard with a razor knife.
Just apply it like you would with a phone and voilà, the watch face is nowhere near as likely to get scratched up! Plus I have lots of extra screen guard if I want to change it or use some on a few of my other outdoor watches.
I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, February 25, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
Excellent watch, fine craftsmanship. It fits really well , also the features of the watch make it must it fine watch selection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very functional and great looking!, February 21, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
After receiving the watch and after reading the reviews, I immediately downloaded the owners manual off of casio.com. I did not even look at the small manual that came with it. Every function worked according to the manual. Absolutely no problems with even the longitude settings. Calibration for the compass worked exactly as the instructions prescribed. I would also like to have a more scratch resistant crystal. Thanks Casio for a great medium priced watch and thanks Amazon for a competitive price and free shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features, works great, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
This watch seems to work great for the price. It has a built-in compass and temperature and seems fairly accurate. I often need to know which direction a property or house faces and it has always been a pain in the neck to have to go back to the car and check out the directions either on my car-compass or GPS. I draw diagrams and it is preferred that these have compass directions, by the time I get back to the vehicle I often forget to mark down that info. Couldn't afford some of the high-priced watches but this one seems to work fine. I read some comments about how hard this watch is to set up. Really only took me a few minutes to do everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Watch!!!, July 7, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
This watch is just awesome! With the digital/analog front, preset cities around the world if you travel, stopwatch, timer, compass and thermometer are all really cool. I love the fact that when you set the digital time the analog auto updates. The thermometer works very well and accurately. I would highly recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this lightweight and stylish watch!, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch (Watch)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first picked up this watch, I couldn't believe how lightweight it was. The first thing I thought was, "This feels cheap!", however my mind was quickly changed after using it. The watch is very comfortable to wear due to its light weight and although the band is plastic, it is also very comfortable.

Most impressive is the amount of functions that this stylish watch has. One will find a compass, thermometer, a lunar cycle calendar, alarm, sunrise/sunset indicator, stop watch, timer, world clock, and date (to name a few things). The watch sets time automatically after you pick your city, is glow-in-the-dark, and has both analog and digital readout. There is a light to see the time in the dark, but it only lights the digital readout and not the whole watch face. (This can be an issue for older eyes, like mine.)

The compass is a neat feature but seems to be a bit difficult to calibrate. One has to remove the watch to get an accurate reading. The watch also has to be removed to get an accurate temperature reading, which takes a while for it to acclimate. The buttons work well and are easy to use/access.

There are so many nice functions that I'm just touching on some that really stand out for me. This is a very nice watch, both comfortable and visually pleasing and has quickly become a favorite!

The Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Black Resin Analog Digital Twin Sensor Multi-Function Watch comes highly recommended!!

Casio Men's SGW500H-2BV Watch