4.0 out of 5 stars Great As Long As You Can Find It In The Dark

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect display, miserable to set/adjust
Published on March 9, 2009 by Frugalgene

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect display, miserable to set/adjust, March 9, 2009
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
I've had this travel clock for almost 10 years. I like the display a lot. The display is not lit (in other words, you can't read it in the dark) unless you push the blue button in the upper right hand corner. It does not illuminate a dark room unless you want to check the time. The back light is just right in that it doesn't blind you when you check it in the dark. It takes a soft touch to activate the back light. Just brush it with a finger. The numerals are big enough to read without glasses, and the back light turns off automatically after a few seconds. It seems very durable, and mine has been bounced off the floor many, many times. The battery cover is not very secure, flying off with the battery when it hits the floor after a clumsy attenpt to check the time in the dark. This is a problem because the clock will then need to be reset (see below). I lost the batter cover after knocking the clock on the floor in a hotel. I would advise, should this happen to you, to serch until you find the cover. Tape will work to hold the battery in place without the cover, but you will miss the battery cover. In fact, if I had it to do over, I'd securely tape the battery cover in place.

Unfortunately, the set controils are extremely difficult to use due to tiny size. If you have less than perfect vision, you might not be able to see the time/alarm set markings without a magnifier.

I use this little clock by my bedside at home, and I take it eveywhere I go. It has taken a lot of abuse, but with the exception of the lost battery cover, this little clock seems as good as new. It uses one standard AA battery which I've only replaced once or twice in ten years. Even though it is painfully difficult to set and adjust, I have not found a better replacement. I'd buy another if this one were to be lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great As Long As You Can Find It In The Dark, December 18, 2009
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
A very Casio kind of clock. Durable, dependable, well designed, compact, inexpensive, with a no-nonsense emphasis on function. Make sure to keep a small flashlight near the clock if you want to find it in a dark room. It emits no illumination. Go ahead, confirm the time, hit the snooze button. But keep your glasses nearby so you can find the tiny button to kill the demanding alarm tone. No question, it's time to wake up when this jewel goes off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away! A total waste., January 22, 2012
Manuel Gottlieb (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
I had a Casio travel alarm like this one for some years and liked the design very much, so purchased this one about two years ago. After about 10 months it suddenly beeped once and all the settings went to 1:00. I reset it but it kept on doing the same thing. Since it is a cheap item I just repurchased it, but after 6 months the same thing happened. I replaced it once more, and after 3 months it happened yet again. Whatever the problem is, this is a waste of money, let alone likely to leave you in the lurch at an important moment.

1.0 out of 5 stars TINY buttons, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
The controls on this travel alarm clock are not only teensy, they are poorly marked : even in broad daylight, one cannot read the settings for the switches for on/off/snooze, etc.

The silver paint on a black matte plastic finish just does not "show up" at all. The paint is much dimmer than the photo of the product on the Amazon page shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice travel clock, November 12, 2011
RW (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
Reletively small and compact, and the backlight is good for watching the hours tick by as you're kept awake by Jetlag induced insomnia :) The alarm is plenty loud enough to wake me up, but not so loud that I feel like I'm waking the person in the room next to mine.

Setting the time and alarm are pretty intuitive, the switches seem a little flimsy and feel like they might not stand up to a lot of use, but as a travel alarm I don't use it often, so it should last me a long time.

There's a slightly more expensive model with a built-in thermometer, but I don't think it's that useful - I already know if my room feels too warm or too cold, I don't need a thermometer to tell me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a rack on a Navy ship, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
I'm in the Navy, and I was looking for an alarm clock i could stick to the side of my rack so it'd be out of the way, but it had to have a flat back so I could use a command adhesive strip to mount it to the wall.

There is a face panel that folds down if you want to use it on a table-top; I left this up. Another reviewer gave this product a terrible rating because he couldn't find the adjustment buttons; I must say, it would have to be because he was too busy licking windows with his pants on his head. They're literally right there behind the panel, which is hinged on the bottom.

Setup is very, very straight-forward, as you might expect it to be. I did not partake of the snooze setting, as I don't do the snooze thing. I've heard it's an odd time interval. One of the sliders allows you to set whether mashing the big blue button cancels the alarm or snoozes it.

I'm not sure if it was because the speaker of the alarm was directly butted up against the large, flat 1/16" steel panel that made up the side of my rack, turning it into a giant speaker, but this alarm is UNBELIEVABLY LOUD. If you are in a rack, you would have to literally already be dead to not get woken up by this thing. It woke up me, everybody in my cubicle, and everybody within 20' feet of me. I got really good at silencing it within one second. I have no doubt it will wake you up in whatever room you happen to be in.

The EL-glow thing works well enough, but that brings me to the one down-side (and the reason it got four stars); the display is just about unreadable in glow-mode unless your eyes are at least 30° above the horizontal plane of the display. This is... difficult to achieve in a rack. In order to circumvent this, I was forced to place the alarm so low on the wall that it got covered by my pillow most of the time, making reading it a bit of a hassle. That's literally the worst thing I have to say about this clock.

If you're going out to sea on a Navy ship, go ahead and get yourself one of these. They're nice, and unlike your cellphone will not decide to die, or reboot, or randomly decide not to go off the next morning, or whatever.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bad choice, November 14, 2010
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
This clock is a bad choice all around. The controls are tiny. The printing on them is illegible. The cheap control features make this clock next to worthless. If I knew how to get my money back, I would try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny buttons, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
Appears to be reliable, but really ought to be sold with a precision surgical instrument and a jewelers loupe so one can manipulate the incredibly tiny buttons. Or, get your 3-year-old to set it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
Easy to view. Easy to put in snooze. Loud enough, but not obnoxious. Very compact and protected by folding cover/stand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock (Watch)
The product is good but can still be improved.
It is easy & simple to use it even you have lost instructions. The light opportunity is good. It uses usual batteries which are easy to find. The whole clock is resistant and done so well that it will not break down even if you drop it. This feature is very important for an alarm clock. It is also compact and small enough. In many cases ordinary alarm clocks are too big and easy to break down even you are not on travel and using them just in your daily life.
One development area I found: I am not yet used to close it fast enough to avoid waking up my wife. In the previous model the button to shut it was a little easier/faster to use and also the noise was at first lower.
This alarm clock is suitable also to other persons that just travellers.

Casio Snooze Daily Alarm Travel Clock