Published on March 5, 2008 by Blueberry mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed pretty solid at first
The watch was alright when I got it, it suddenly got a few scratches (deep) from my job. Then all of a sudden, i was playing basketball and the light button stopped working which means I cant adjust any time or date or turn the light on. Breaks pretty easily if put into rough situations. Also i heard others who owned this watch say that when they swam with this watch on,...
Published 17 months ago by SnoopDOhDub

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch -- dependable, long lasting -- great for nurses, March 5, 2008
Blueberry mom (Middle of nothing and everything) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch over 15 years, close to 20. A long time. I bought it at Targ*t. I had it in college, nursing school, wore it when I started my first job on night shift and it is still going strong. It is a super watch. It is a great watch for nursing. The light works well in dark rooms, the alarm is easy to set, the watch is waterproof for all those hand washings! I also always wore it in the pool- no problems. I think I've had to change the battery and band only once. Sturdy, good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Casio Watch--A Ok, April 25, 2008
Laurentz Lewis (Bagram, Afghanistan) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this short and sweet. This was my first digital watch nearly twenty years ago. I've had many since, and yes, I searched for this one and bought it. Why? Well, it's like me concise and to the point. Gives you what you want and need without the frills. Loved it then and love it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my non-terrorist timekeeping activities!, April 25, 2011
As a non-terrorist I find this sits very comfortably on an infidels wrist. I principally use it as an IET (improvised egg timer), and would heartily recommend it to anyone (not being occupied by an imperialist banana republic) who wishes to launch a Jihad against runny eggs. Casio be praised!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST WATCH under $15. Terrorist or not., August 25, 2011
Averen (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Well. I contemplated for some time if I should write a review for this ultra affordable watch or not ... after some thoughts, this Casio deserves every bit of my highest recommendations so I decided to go for it

If you are reading this ... either you stumbled on the F91W-1 by looking at some of the cheapest Amazon stocked watches
Or you read from Wikipedia, or some watch forums, or other sources that this Casio is the favorite among the terrorist group.

Well regardless what your motivation is ... this watch is worth every penny.

Some background information. I been collecting mechanical watches for about 16+ years. And right now I own over 50 watches... From this humble $11 Casio to a few Rolex, Zenith, Omega, JLC that cost 500 times its price. I also service some of my own mechanical pieces. Although I do not have much experience with quartz watches. I do know quite a bit about material, design and many aspects of a proper horological machine.

And the down right truth is, there is nothing this Casio can't do. As far as a practical machine, it can beat up your datejust/ submariner any day of the week. (Although this might not be that big of a deal in todays cell phone oriented world)

Pros:
It is designed to be simple and intuitive, the trait of most Casios. Button placement and functions are down right instinctive once you use it for a day or two.

It is deadly accurate (duh), its quartz.

The battery life is an amazing 7 years (given you use certain functions only once or twice a day.) Although some "upgraded" version has 10 year or solar battery. The battery life is more then reasonable for any practical purpose.

This is the most comfortable watch I own, due to one reason - the weight. It feels like you are wearing a feather or nothing at all. 20 grams to be exact... or 0.7oz. Crazy how light this thing is.

The retro styling is another plus .. it may not have been cool in the 80~90s. The nerdy black resin square case is now hip again...

The construction of this watch is very well thought out to simplify the manufacturing process. Which, btw, is done in Thailand. Case is a single piece resin with slightly protruding plastic crystal. All the electronics are on a one piece of ic board. The case back is made from stamped stainless steel, secured by 4 screws, and the interior is where the alarm speaker goes. A rather large rubber gasket surrounds the movement. Light weight rubber strap with some mysterious reflective inclusion.

Cons
Water resistance: The case construction does not allow any serious form of water resistance... as a matter of fact, in the Casio manual they do not recommend anything more then hand washing. The real problem is the pushers, they lack any gasket so water will pour in when use underwater. The tolerance of the case and SS back is decent. But the gasket sits too low so a 100% secure seal will not be possible. Crystal seems to be glued into place, so no problem with water there. I think degrees of water resistance is how Casio separates their cheapest products from the slightly more expensive one.

You can hear something rattle when you shake this watch ... it is nothing major however

If you are used to today's super large watch... namely, Graham, Panerai, 44mm, 50mm or the likes. This watch will look puny to you at 35mm. But if you like most watches in the 70s or 80s ... this is just the right size.

The bottom line is ... this is a hell of a watch for the money. As utilitarian as it could be yet possess some of the funk from the past decades. It also carries a good amount of interesting back stories if you tell people about its popularity among the terrorists. A great watch! And the best $9.99 I spend on a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is How I Identify My Fellow Operatives, April 26, 2011
John C Baruth II (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I received this watch as a gift after completing, ah, shall we say, a technical course with some guys from my church. At first I was nonplussed, since I had hoped my eternal reward would include a tourbillion complication, but I grew used to the idea of quartz timekeeping in the afterlife.

Pros: easy to spot when wandering around NYC

Cons: strap melts under extreme heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured by crazy military, Watch keeps Ticking even when my heart stops., April 25, 2011
As a middle eastern hipster it's easy for me to find old 80's American and Japanese technology at the local bazar. I spied this gem for a pittance of a chicken and HAD to have it. It was better then finding a fixie hauling PBR!! (If I were allowed to drink) No sooner had I strapped my retro classic to my wrist and checked the time that a black hood closed over my head. At first I hoped it was irony but I was wrong SO WRONG!

I was soon moving in a truck, I could feel sweat beading under the rubber strap of my Casio F91W-1 and knew the timepiece was still attached to my wrist able to tell me how long I'd traveled. Alas I awoke in a haze, as my hands clenched behind me I could not check the time.
I couldn't distinguish the pain of the zip tie cuffs from my Casio F91W-1 smooth rubber strap but soon found my new watch dangling before my face as a man screamed "WHY DO YOU OWN THIS WATCH!?!" "To know what time it is I muttered meekly," I could see it was 1AM, I was missing Adventure Time being broadcast from the United States. "CAN YOU TELL ME WHY 32 OTHER TERRORISTS HERE HAVE THIS SAME WATCH!?!" I searched my brain, 32? That sales man said I had the only one in the country, I wasn't unique anymore? I was going to need a new watch. "They were all lied to by the salesman as well?" I answered still thinking I was being persecuted as a hipster yet again *le sigh. "A wise guy eh? We have ways of making you talk"

I was reluctantly given my watch back, I was told it was so I'd know which way to pray with my Casio F91W-1's compass feature but the man didn't believe that I wasn't religious but that my outfit was indeed chosen for irony. Seriously, robes in a desert, how do you not get that?

I soon heard through the grape vine that I've be transferred to Cuba, Knowing little of the world from my antique text books I thought Cuba was still the Monte Carlo of the American corrupt and looked forward to my pleasant tropical extravaganza.

What I underwent in Cuba was more horrible then `The Situation' trying to roast a Hummer H2 with Rebecca Black Singing Friday in the Front seat (or back) but despite years of agony and much water exposure my Casio F91W-1 still works keeping the time of my innocence alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and functional, April 6, 2008
This watch is well worth the money spent. It is simple, yet has some very basic functions that make it very "useable". Alarm, stop-watch, and it TELLS TIME. Controls are easy to access. The only problem I have with it is.... I am a big man, and the band is really made for someone with a smaller wrist. The size of the watch restricts the size of the band, so I couldn't find a band big enough to wear this comfortably. Other wise - great watch for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars On my third., January 1, 2009
Brian Frederick "surfcow" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these, used it for 6 or 7 years - bought another, used it for 6 or 7 years - now I'm on my third. Water-proof, not just for showering, but for swimming in the ocean, even diving down to 20 feet or so. Basically, I don't take it off.

Very few things do what exactly what you want them to do. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic watch, November 29, 2007
What a great watch. Everything about it is great except for the band. I heard that some peoples band would wear out in 2 years and from a review a guy is going on his 11th year without the band breaking on him and he was trying to wear out the watch to see how long he can make it last but failed to do so. My opinion is that the band is fine and can last as long as the watch. But at the price it really dont matter. You can always get a better band and attach it to this watch and have this watch for 7-10 years. Very slim and unnoticable that you have it on. Swim and shower with it. A must buy definetly. Forget about those bulk G-shock watches. all anyone needs is the time. Casuals are always best. Especially this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy controls, thin and comfortable, geeky/cool, April 28, 2011
I admit I ordered this because it's been in the news. (If you don't understand, google "Casio terrorism"). Now that I have it, I am surprisingly pleased with it as a watch, rather than as an ironic accessory.

I like watches, but hate paying a lot for them. The problem is that inexpensive ones usually aren't very comfortable to wear, don't look that good, don't last, and have difficult controls. Every one of these things is not true for this Casio. Right out of the box, it was appealing. The resin strap isn't cheap looking, the watch itself is thin and light. Very readable face. I didn't even have to read the instructions to understand how to use all the controls. It's understated but retro enough to be cool in a geeky way.

I can't swear to it's durability since I've had it only for a day. I'll update this after I've used it for a while.

ARRAY(0xa0cc272c)