Casio Men's W201-1AV Alarm Chronograph Watch
Price:$11.38 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 5, 2012
absolutely blown away. got this watch expecting just a 15 dollar cheap-o that would break in a month or so. but i havent taken it off in probably 5 months now. i just wanted a cheap watch becuase of my line of work... i cook in restaurants and am constantly washing my hands, getting hot oil on it, hitting it agaisnt things etc... and this thing has far exceeded my expectations.
on March 30, 2015
I have owned two of these and while the watch performed great, both bands broke after about eight months of use. For a watch with a ten-year battery having the band fall apart in less than one is very disappointing.
What I like about the watch:
+Simple. You won't get many compliments for this watch, but that also means you won't stand out as a target for thieves. This is about as plain as a watch gets.
+Small. I am a man with small wrists. For me, big watches look silly and are uncomfortable to wear. This watch is big enough to look like a mens watch, but is small enough to fit my wrist.
+Thin. The low profile means it doesn't get in the way when I'm working or wearing a dress shirt.
+Home screen. Without pressing any buttons this watch will display the time, date MM-DD, and day of the week, as well as a set of bars that come and go to mark off the seconds. While the last is mostly aesthetic, to fill the space above the seconds, I have found it somewhat useful when taking a pulse.
+Recessed buttons. I've had watches in the past where the buttons were pressed when I flexed my wrist. That is not a problem with this one.
+Ten-year battery!! By the time the battery dies, I'll probably want a nicer watch.
+Water resistant. I never take my watch off, and this one has survived hundreds of showers, thousands of dishes and a few plumbing emergencies without missing a beat.

The one giant problem:
-The band breaks. I have had two of these now and they have both experienced the same fate. After about eight months of daily use the bands just sheared off, right through the middle. It almost looked like they had been cut straight across, on the half of the band without the holes.

Theoretically it is also a negative that the watch doesn't have a countdown timer, but I don't really care. I have my cell phone which has all of the timer functions I could want. In a watch I just want the time and date on my wrist, that is all.
Now that I have two watches with years left on the batteries I might try to look for a replacement band. I am seriously disappointed in the quality of the original.
on June 24, 2014
Casio still makes great, inexpensive digital watches in the low end of their range that work very well. I was initially looking at an F91 as a lightweight digital watch, but I think this watch is better constructed and has a lot of usable improvements over the F91.

-- Build Quality and Case --
The watch is extremely light and thin enough to fit under a shirt sleeve. The resin band will fit on small 6 inch wrists all the way up into the 8 inch range. The band does seem very soft and likely to break after significant wear though. It does use actual springbars instead of pins which means it should be easy to replace the strap if you want to. I tried to see if I could fit a thin nylon NATO strap on it, but there wasn't enough space.

The watch is labeled as having a mineral crystal on Amazon, but I can't find any evidence of that anywhere else. If it scratches up like acrylic, I'll add a note to the review later.

EDIT: It's definitely acrylic, but it won't scratch that easily. Mine has a few tiny little scratches that could probably be buffed out.

The buttons are all plastic and slightly recessed, which makes setting times and alarms a bit inconvenient, but not difficult.

-- Watch Features --
The display is nice and clean with slightly larger digits (this watch is pretty easy to read). In the Alarm and Dual-Time modes, the date display will show the home time instead. The stopwatch works as expected, going all the way up to 24 hours(!), but you don't get to see the time simultaneously. You can just switch modes if you need to.

The amber LED (which uses a lot less power than a blue EL backlight) illuminates the watch just fine and can be temporarily extended to stay on for 3 seconds.

There's only one alarm, but it can't be set for a specific day or month like some G-Shocks. It's also kind of quiet. Treat it more as a reminder than something to wake you up. There's also the usual hourly chime. And for those who might be wondering, you can't mute the button press sounds.

Sadly, there is no countdown timer.

-- Conclusion --
I'm really impressed with this watch. It makes a nice, lightweight beater watch for travel or work that you won't have to worry about for around 1/4 the price of an entry-level G-Shock. The build quality is pretty good given the extremely low price - Just be prepared that the band might fail on you after a year or two.
on June 20, 2014
Pros:
1) Worth the price, no gimmicks, true to description
2) Slim fit, not too bulgy, no disturbance
3) display is clear & sharp
4) Buttons don't get in the way
Cons:
1) Alarm could have been a little louder
on June 29, 2013
I wear this watch daily to my job as an airline mechanic. It is holding up well to the inevitable bumps and scrapes as well as the various oils and solvents I've dripped on it. The large time numerals are easy to read even in low light without pushing the backlight button. The smaller day and date numerals are easy to read too. I picked this model because it shows the time, seconds, day, and date continuously without having to push a button. It took a bit for me to get used to the progressive segments located above the seconds field that alternately build and collapse every ten seconds. Not sure what purpose they serve. The low profile makes it sit close on the wrist which minimizes catching it on things. The band is comfortable and is holding up well. Accuracy is quite good and mine gains only about 5 seconds/month. Kinda doubt the watch will last ten years but with a ten-year battery included, battery changes should be unnecessary. Timex still makes a great watch but their prices have increased quite a bit in recent years. Casio is filling the void when an inexpensive but good quality watch is required.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I first became aware of Casio watches about 1980. I had noticed people wearing the black plastic watches and wondered: What is this? Can't these people afford a real watch? I always wore my Omega Seamaster and regarded it as one of the finer watches. Well, at just about that same time I started running and a friend who was guiding me in the sport suggested that I'd need a chronograph in order to time my runs. My Omega wouldn't do. I bought a Casio, which was just about the only brand available at that time. I wore it off and on for about a week, and my Omega Seamaster was from then on gathering dust in my dresser drawer. The Casio was just amazing, and it only cost about 25 1980 dollars. Well, I'm now on about my fifth Casio Chronograph, and I'm still amazed by it and this one cost only a little over 13 2012 dollars.

These little Casios will wear out, as will anything. I find that for me they go in two places. One is the battery, and it can be replaced. This new one has a 10-year battery which is excellent. The other is the band will break, usually sometime after about five or six years. Well, the band can be replaced also. I have found, however, that the watch is so inexpensive that when it starts to break down, I just throw the watch away and buy a new one. That might seem a bit wasteful, but if you're averaging six years of use out of it, that's only about $2 a year and why diddle around with it?

The Casio Chronograph is just an amazing piece of equipment. If it's a timepiece you want, well, you just can't get much better, and it's just dirt cheap. Amazing! Let the others wear their Omegas and their Rolexes. I'll proudly wear my Casio Chronograph and know they can't beat it. It's a form of reverse snobbery.

Gary Peterson
on March 15, 2014
Small, accurate, weighs next to nothing. Has day and date in addition to alarm and stopwatch functions as you'd expect. Only drawbacks are that the band doesn't hold up over time. My mom seems to break hers every year. I don't think I've ever broken mine so I don't know what she's doing with her watch. Hopefully I can find a cheap band somewhere so I don't have to keep buying the watch which seems kind of wasteful.

The special benefit of this particular model is that the numbers are the biggest I've found for a watch of this type. This makes reading time quick and easy!! A lot of the other digital watches I've looked at have a tiny time numbers and a bunch of other junk on the display that doesn't matter most of the time. Enjoy it!! I do!!!!!
on February 10, 2014
I chose this watch because it was :

1- Cheap (if it gets messed up I'll get another one right away) and wouldn't worry about carrying a super expensive watch!
2- Simple
3- Digital
4- Has simple alarm (wouldn't use it for waking up to an important event but it can be used for something during the day while you are awake.
5- Water proof.
6- Does the JOB of telling time.
7- Stop watch
8- shows day, date, month.
9- Two time zone modes.
10- Light!
11- Waterproof
12- Light weight.

Bad stuff:
1- Not too classy. but black goes well with everything it's barely noticeable when wearing it.
2- May feel a little uncomfortable in the beginning until you get used to it.
on October 31, 2009
If you need a highly visible 24 hour digital display watch then this model will fit your needs and wrist.
on October 24, 2012
I have been a Casio customer for as long as Casio has been making watches. This watch is exactly what I want but it don't work right.

Problem:
I called Casio and went thru all the steps off setting up a watch. I felt I was not following the instructions properly. It still did not work right. Then Casio sent me to another section and another telephone number who sent me back to the first number who said send it in for service at my shipping cost. It is a new watch and I asked them to replace it. I was talking to deaf ears.

I have now gone to Amazon and as usual, they solved my problem. The watch will go back and they will send me a new one.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations