5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes basic is best

Published on October 26, 2009 by Paul French

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes basic is best, September 5, 2012
Dave (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch (Watch)
The humble W59 is compact, light as a feather, unobtrusive and ultra-comfortable, yet totally functional, good looking, and robust. Its design has endured unchanged for many years. The three-button ergonomics and simple, easy flow and control of functions has been long-perfected. The alarm is loud and the LED illumination works well. It is hard to think of how this watch could be improved. The W59 is quite similar to the world-famous, super basic F-91, but with a 50M water rating and (I think) a slightly more appealing aesthetic.

I respect Casio for making these affordable watches so well - it demonstrates the organization's respect for its customers, regardless of how much they choose to pay for a watch. Anyone should be able to make a good watch if given several hundred dollars, right? But to sell something for under $20 bucks that is durable, attractive, accurate, tough, well made, and high quality? Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive sports watch, August 21, 2006
Exactly what I was looking for. Three buttons instead of four to control the functions. Alarm and lap timer are easy to get to, and the time/date are a snap to set. I swim every day and use the lap timer, not a hint of a leak. I paid $9.95 plus $5.00 S&H and still got it $10 cheaper than either Walmart or Target.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio W59-1V Rev., March 11, 2008
The interface is easy to read and the watch is not complicated. The face of the watch is both thin and not too large which is great because I have small arms.

4.0 out of 5 stars CASIO W59-1V Digital Sports Watch, January 3, 2007
Gary J. Taylor (Rancho Cucamonga, Ca) - See all my reviews
Slim watch, doesn't get caught up on things. Works well. Good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd one purchased, September 11, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch (Watch)
This is the 3rd one of these watches my husband has bought over a period of around 8 years. Cheap and cheerful - not worth the cost of a new battery so we just replace it each time. Overall a great watch for the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price; needs better button arrangement, October 26, 2009
Paul French (Monrovia, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch (Watch)
This watch was only about $13 shipped, so I'm not going to complain that much. It tells time, and that's what it is supposed to do. The buttons however need to be in a different place. I have to reach all the way over to the left top button to turn on the light to see the time in the dark. That is already a hassle when holding something in my right hand (I wear the watch on my left wrist), but to top it off, you need to hold down the button to keep the light on. Maybe I'm spoiled, but that seems ridiculous. I have had plenty of watches by Casio and all of them kept the light on for a few seconds when you pressed the light button. There aren't any fancy modes on this watch, like stopwatch or timer. The only modes are Time, Alarm, and Set Time. There isn't even a dedicated button for adjusting the time; you have to hit the mode button until the seconds start flashing. This watch is fine for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money and only wants to tell time, but the light should at least stay on for a few seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for the buck, April 29, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch because I have to work under strong magnetic fields in my lab. I did not want to loose yet another watch just because I walked too close to a magnet. I wanted a cheap one with as less ferromagnetic material as possible and here was it. I owned the same watch previously for around 4 years before I lost it on a trip to Japan. Nice watch, trouble free. You won't feel like you've spent a fortune on it.
After buying this, I once accidentally hit it against the edge of the stone work bench, except for a minor scratch everything was fine. Other than this I once trampled on the watch again, it was rock stable. Simple, sleek watch. Of course, as many others have stated, the strap is not for a man's hand. Looks girlish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Digital Watch - 3 and a half stars, July 25, 2006
3 and a half stars.
First, the Amazon Partner who is selling this, J & R Music & Computer World, gets a 5 star rating from me, the watch arrived very fast and in excellent condition.
The watch itself gets the 3 and a half because, while the actual purchase price is "$9.99", the crossed-out list price is "$24.95". I expected a little more from a $25.00 Casio. My complaints: The illumination is a small side light, not an entire screen brightness like with other Casios or Indiglow style. The stop-watch goes only to 59 Minutes, 59 Seconds.
Good things:
1-button press to go from 12 to 24 hour time, alarm function, hourly beep, light weight, slim profile, 50 meter water resistant, 7-year battery, and easy to use.
Maybe I'm overly critical, this is a good $10.00 watch, but an average $25.00 watch.

[EDIT]:
Having had this watch for several months now, I find that it keeps better time than a much more expensive digital watch that I had bought at Disney World. The Disney watch looks great and is all metal, but runs faster than the Casio. I compare and set the time of all my watches to my Casio Atomic/Solar MTG920DA, which receives a time calibration every day from the Atomic clock in Fort Collins, CO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels satisfying to wear., October 5, 2011
K. Gold "GOLD" (BUFFALO, NEW YORK, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch (Watch)
I thought this watch was going to have a cereal box feel. I shouldn't have been so ignorant. This watch isn't a big clunky metal wrist watch, but rather a tight fitting, superbly built thing that tells time. Casio makes me want to consume and then digest the watch.

Also Casio watches like these give you "Old Man" and/or "Geek/Nerd" cred.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio watch, January 9, 2007
Good reliable watch, this model has a watch band a bit too small for a man. Excellent for a woman I'd guess.

Casio Men's W59-1V Classic Black Digital Watch