Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on September 5, 2012
The humble W59 is compact, light as a feather, unobtrusive and ultra-comfortable, yet totally functional, good looking, and robust. Its design has endured unchanged for many years. The three-button ergonomics and simple, easy flow and control of functions has been long-perfected. The alarm is loud and the LED illumination works well. It is hard to think of how this watch could be improved. The W59 is quite similar to the world-famous, super basic F-91, but with a 50M water rating and (I think) a slightly more appealing aesthetic.

I respect Casio for making these affordable watches so well - it demonstrates the organization's respect for its customers, regardless of how much they choose to pay for a watch. Anyone should be able to make a good watch if given several hundred dollars, right? But to sell something for under $20 bucks that is durable, attractive, accurate, tough, well made, and high quality? Excellent.
review image
on August 21, 2006
Exactly what I was looking for. Three buttons instead of four to control the functions. Alarm and lap timer are easy to get to, and the time/date are a snap to set. I swim every day and use the lap timer, not a hint of a leak. I paid $9.95 plus $5.00 S&H and still got it $10 cheaper than either Walmart or Target.
on March 11, 2008
The interface is easy to read and the watch is not complicated. The face of the watch is both thin and not too large which is great because I have small arms.
on January 3, 2007
Slim watch, doesn't get caught up on things. Works well. Good value for the price.
on September 11, 2009
This is the 3rd one of these watches my husband has bought over a period of around 8 years. Cheap and cheerful - not worth the cost of a new battery so we just replace it each time. Overall a great watch for the money.
on September 12, 2012
I have had this model watch on my wrist for many decades -- maybe over 40 years -- yes, the same model has been on the market a very long time. That is, with some VERY minor variations and model numbers. I ONLY take it off when I shower. With a very expensive watch there is concern about it getting lost or stolen, while this is replaced by the price of one restaurant dinner. It has ALWAYS been totally reliable, and the battery lasts for something like 7 years. The band lasts a long time. In the rare instance when the battery or band does give up, I have a watch repair guy who does the replacement inexpensively. REPLACEING THE BATTERY: This probaly isn't for the average person to do, because it requires taking it apart in a moderately "deep" way, and you need to be handy, patient, careful and calm, as well as have a decent quality tiny screwdriver. It IS possible --- the owner's guide helps, and I just did it! Also replacing the band is not easy. You'd need a special tool for the posts, so I have it done for me. These are not "cons" --- the watch VERY RARELY needs any service, and I feel sure that it's the most cost-effective way to have a RELIABLE watch on your wrist. Regarding functionality, it has everything I (and I think most people) need, without unwanted features that get in your way. At a glance it shows the weekday and date. (I always know what month it, so it works well for me that the month isn't displayed.) The alarm is simple to use and totally reliable, and you get a count-up timer. I guess Casio has kept the same model line for so many years because people like me who have owned it feel strongly about it. With a huge amount of physical abuse the body may break after 20 years. Please, Casio, don't replace it with a different model!
on February 9, 2015
UPDATE after 1 week's wearing: I really think this is junky compared to the older W-71 watch. I cannot get used to the logic of the keys. Casio: DO BETTER! These Casio watches last for many years but what breaks in about 18 months is the strap. So I've been buying new watches for about $2-3 more than the strap itself, which seems silly. Maybe I'll start looking for better straps.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Read the fine print! This is not the same as their W-71 watch that I have been buying for years; it's missing the countdown timer (important) and Dual Time function (not very important.) A tip is that you should make sure there's a button on the top-right corner; the W59 lacks this button.
on November 7, 2013
I've officially retired this watch after a little less than a year of wear. It's a solid little watch, with 3 weaknesses. The biggest is that the buttons tend to get pressed in day to day life, changing the time between 12 and 24 hours. More annoying, if I'm moving around a lot, a whole sequence of buttons will get pressed, and I'll discover the stopwatch running, or the alarm set. The second (and middle) is the the backlight stinks. This is a retro watch, and the backlist it right out of the era the watch hearkens back to. If you're willing to lose a little bit of retro cool, Casio makes the F105-1A that has a wonderful backlight, but has an ugly blue overlay around the face.

Final problem, and what led to me giving up on the darn thing, is that the band is terrible. First, I'm not a big manly man with huge wrists, but I wore the band with the buckle in the largest hole. Also, the darn thing breaks! The buckle on the band broken within a few months of purchase. I paid nearly as much as the cost of the watch for a replacement Casio band (same as the original), which broken again in the same amount of time.

I've ordered the slightly less cool but oh so nicely backlit F-105-1A to replace this watch. The band is perhaps 1/2" longer, but has the same plastic buckle mechanism. At least for me, this means it too will fail in due time.

Given the fact that the watch only costs twelve bucks shipped to my front door, I'm perfectly content with the value for my money. If it came with a band that would let me wear it for a couple of years instead of 6 months, I'd be totally ecstatic. Let's face it here folks, This is not an heirloom to pass down to your kids, so adjust your expectations accordingly and it's a solid purchase.
on October 5, 2011
I thought this watch was going to have a cereal box feel. I shouldn't have been so ignorant. This watch isn't a big clunky metal wrist watch, but rather a tight fitting, superbly built thing that tells time. Casio makes me want to consume and then digest the watch.

Also Casio watches like these give you "Old Man" and/or "Geek/Nerd" cred.
on February 17, 2015
Basic and tough. Nothing fancy here. If I were going to Iraqistan or other places without malls this is the watch to go with you. While others might feel the need to wear a small Westclox strapped to their wrist, as is all the rage in the land of tacticool, this thing is actually better. Try wearing a jacket and gloves with a huge watch and see how that works for ya! The band on this one is kind of cheap. Add a black nylon band from Maratac and never worry about it again. Just enjoy knowing you have something you can count on to always work strapped securely to your wrist and move out! The fact it costs next to nothing makes it even better.