4.0 out of 5 stars Good, low-priced vibration alarm watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it for the "vibrating" alarm
Published 8 months ago by SunBug

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, low-priced vibration alarm watch, April 26, 2013
Keith Connes (Sun City Center, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W735H-1AVCF Super Illuminator Black Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch after I discovered that my progressive hearing loss (at age 87 things could be worse) made it all but impossible for me to hear audible alarms from digital watches. Other people with good hearing will want this type of watch in order to receive alarms without disturbing others. Prior to buying this watch I bought a Timex "Expedition" vibration alarm watch from a local store and in this review I will make some comparisons between the two watches -- both of which are priced within a couple of dollars of each other on Amazon. I have no dissatisfaction with the Timex but I've been spooked by the number of reviewers on Amazon who have complained that either the battery or the entire watch quit after only a few months. I've owned other Casio watches and they've lasted about four years on average, and I find that acceptable in a $30 watch. Casio claims a 10-year battery life for this watch, assuming limited use of the alarm and light functions, but I've heard that one before and I'll settle for a year or two of battery life on a vibration model. In addition to two time zones of your choice, the watch has a single daily alarm, an hourly signal, a chronograph with elapsed and split time settings, and a countdown timer that can be set in one-second increments. You can set the alarm and countdown timer either for vibration or a barely audible (to me, anyway) beep signal. I would have given the watch five stars if it had the added convenience of more than one daily alarm; many alarm watches now have three or four.

As you will see from the photo, in addition to the time and date displays there are three round windows at the top. The large window shows the type(s) of alarm you have set. In the two smaller windows, black segments appear and disappear in the timekeeping and stopwatch modes. What is their purpose? The instruction booklet is silent about all this, so I called Casio's customer service. I had to speak to three reps to learn that it's a design thing, presumably for those who are easily fascinated.

The Timex Expedition is more feature-rich, which is meaningful if you will use the features. It has three alarms, all or some of which can be set to go off daily, weekdays, or weekends. There's also an "occasion" alarm, which can be set ahead for, say, a birthday. And a hydration timer, possibly to remind you to take your Gatorade before you pass out. Both its vibration and audible alarms are more vigorous than those of the Casio, which might account for a shorter battery life. However, as I'm the first reviewer of the Casio and have had it for only a short time, I cannot comment on its longevity. Regardless, I returned the Timex and will keep the Casio. It is sturdy, the buttons work well, and if my life ever gets dull I can always watch the segments in the small windows do their design thing. BTW, it would be really great if Casio, or anybody else, could design a watch with a battery that could be recharged via a mini USB cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - didn't vibrate ME awake, but neither did the Timex equivalent, June 11, 2013
I love getting up early, and would prefer not to wake my wife (or bunk-mates when I'm camping w guys). A vibration alarm makes sense. So I purchased the Timex T49851 Expedition, along with the Casio equivalent, the W735H-1AVCF. This is a review of both. They are within dollars of one another.

LOOKS - Personally I think the Timex looks more modern, more "socially acceptable" if you're inclined to wear it in many situations. The Casio is a great G-Shock-like look. Whatever criteria Casio places upon naming a watch a G-Shock, this watch is not. Still, it looks tough and I would think it is tough enough.

WEIGHT - Both watches are lightweight - the new durable resins simply do not require weight for strength. Don't despair over lightweight with either.

DISPLAY - The display on the Timex is much larger and all functions are easier to see, although the smaller LCD digits of the Casio are bolder. Still, I prefer the Timex because I never had to squint at little icons or labels.

OPERATION AND PROGRAMMING - Both are fine. You fiddle with them, you read a little of the manuals, you'll do fine. The Timex functions with Timex functionality, the Casio with Casio functionality. I do prefer the Casio's instant changeover to another function when you press a button. The Timex will, for example, display "CHRONO" and then go into the chrono mode. No biggee.

ALARMS AND FEATURES - The Timex has more, so many more in fact that you have the option to hide some of them (which I did, although I still kept more readily available than were offered on the Casio).

WAKING YOU UP - They differ here. The Casio beeps (or vibrates, OR COMBINATION) - and the vibration is 7 vibrations, and the beep is pretty loud. The Timex (I returned it, so I am speaking from recent memory) vibrates 5 times and then a short while later (sort of like a reminder) vibrates 5 times again. I do not think the Casio provides for a combination vibrate/beep event. Another point to note is that on the Timex in combo mode, the vibration goes off first, giving you a chance to awake and shut it off prior to the beeping (waking maybe you and folks around you).

FRUSTRATION FOR ME - I sleep like an appliance unplugged from the wall. I wore both watches to sleep (different nights, and/or set them for different times). NEITHER successfully woke me (by vibration only) out of a sound sleep. There's a new Casio being offered (more costly) called the GD350. It has a vibration alarm. I do not expect it to be a whole lot more vibration-effective than this Casio, which I returned. Perhaps I am wrong in that expectation. I do still like the potential to quietly vibrate me into some notification DURING THE DAY, when I am around folks, so the vibration alarm remains a nice feature, on either watch.

BATTERY LIFE - Here's where the Casio wins hands-down. The Casio tells us it has a TEN YEAR battery. I LOVE that! The Timex is likely a year or two or three, depending upon how many times you ask it to vibrate, beep, etc. Ten years is a wonderful thing for a watch battery, and if longevity of function is your priority, the Casio wins hands-down. BTW - the new Casio GD350 says the battery is good for 5 years. Still pretty excellent. All of the watch instructions tell you battery life is based upon usage of function.

MY BOTTOM LINE - I am wearing the Timex. I returned the Casio. They are both great watches. I still wish a vibrating alarm watch could wake ME up, but likely it would need to be 110 volt-powered, plugged into the wall, activating a kitchen blender motor strapped to my wrist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Casio watch for everyday use.!, March 22, 2014
I purchased this watch on 3/18/14 at wally world in Harrisonburg va, as my tradition with all new watches i sync them with the atomic clock and also use the emerald Sequoia app on my i phone that gets time from 4 servers, that way i can monitor the watches over the next 3 days and find out if it will lose or gain time. some very good watches Take longer like my casio dw5600e-1v that took 6months to gain 1/2 a second and a Timex t5k418 that took 18days to gain 1 second. The casio w735-1av didn't do bad, it took 3 and half days to lose 1/4 of a second that averages out to about 2 and a half seconds a month or 30 seconds a year. To be honest i really like the watch, it actually sits flat on my wrist, it is very comfortable to wear ,it has a bright white backlight, dual time, 1 alarm that you can set to either beep or vibrate, a 10 year battery and a 24 hour count down timer. Also it takes a cr2032 battery and it it very easy to change out. there is only 1clip to undo and the new battery fits back in snug. only draw back is you have to remove the wrist band. I think the only disappointing thing it only has 1 alarm and its not 200m water resistant. it is a very sturdy watch and watch resistant down to 100 meters. the watch also is a good value for the price that you pay and when you register it with casio they double your warranty to two years. so i would highly recommend this watch to anyone that wants a good quality watch that is durable and will last a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fit!!!, January 12, 2014
Great watch, great value. My Father loves it very much. Just received it. He doesn't wants to get it off his arm. Its comfortable wear, very nice to match with just about anything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it for the "vibrating" alarm, April 3, 2014
This watch works fine as just a watch. The vibrating alarm is hardly noticeable and it would never wake my husband, which is why we bought it. I did read all the reviews first and they were right about this short duration and faint vibrating alarm, so I can't complain too much. What I would like to say is that if someone figures out how to set it, let me know. It comes with a instruction "book," with little tiny print, and it is complicated to set. There are buttons and "modes" and you have to press this sequence of buttons while in this particular mode, etc. Although I followed all instructions exactly as directed, the watch didn't do what the instructions indicated it should do. I gave up. So, there it sits unused. Not a wise purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, April 18, 2014
Have had this for months now, and it has been very durable, which was my initial concern. It was fairly easy to figure out, the only issue I have had so far is sometimes having to mess round with the functions for the stop watch, which somehow always ends up on a 1 hour countdown instead of a normal stop watch function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch with lots of easy-to-use features! A steal at this price!, October 17, 2013
J. Enterkin (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Fantastic watch for the price! Easy to use, lots of great features without being overwhelming or difficult to operate. Over the past 30 years or so, I have made the mistake of buying two watches that were not made by Casio - this watch reminds me of why I keep coming back to Casio! My other Casios didn't quit working, I would either give them away when I was ready for a new style, or break a band after two to five years of daily wear and realize that, with battery replacement looming in the future, I had a "good excuse" to get a new model Casio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch for All, September 25, 2013
When i bought this watch with so many cool features i expected somewhat low qualtiy.......i was completely wrong. This watch is better than any other.
-The vibration is strong, yet veru quiet.
-The alarms are very loud, and can be heard throughout the house.
-The screen is very readably, and the backlighte is a greyish blue color.
-It is waterproof. My first waterproof watch was weel emmm......NOT waterproof. This watch keeps water out completely well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, rugged watch for the $$$, March 13, 2014
Great watch for the gym or on the go! Easy to set up (when following the simple instructions). No problems so far from workout to hot tub to steam room! Vibrate alarm feature is a cool alternative to standard beeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong overall watch, March 12, 2014
Durable. Easy to use..Great watch for the price.I would recommend this watch to everyone.You will be pleased for sure. Cheap price but not cheaply made..