Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

on August 10, 2009
Just got this watch after ordering a few days ago. Strange thing is, you won't find any product information about it on Casio's US website. Let's get to it:

Pros:
1) Not as bulky as a G-Shock:
If you're like me and you want a fully-functioning digital watch without the enormous bulk of a G-Shock, then this watch may fit your bill (even the midsize G-Shocks are tad too large in my book). However, this watch isn't tiny either: The across-width, measured between the buttons on either side but not including buttons, is just a 1/16 inch shy 1.5 inches. The top-to-bottom height, measured between the outside of the top bezel above the "Casio" insignia to the outside of the lower bezel below the "WATER 100M RESIST" is 1 3/16 inches, and just about 1/2 inch thick.
2) Plenty of features:
Dual time, stop-watch with split times, displays the time during the stop-watch function, date setup that knows the day of the week (accounts for leap year too), large display, snooze alarm (!), etc.
3) Great price:
For the value alone I give it the 5-star rating

Cons:
1) Bezel around the crystal is flush with the surface of the crystal - this could lead to scratches if you're not careful
2) Light is not the back lighting "Illuminator" of some other Casio watches - it's green glow that lights from the bottom-left of the display - kinda meh but it does stay on for a few seconds after depressing.
3) Could use a count-down timer.
4) The watch does not allow you keep the light on by keeping the light button depressed. Still turns off after about 1.5 seconds. Can be quite irritating when you're trying to read the watch after waking up all blurry-eyed but I'm sure it's part of keeping that 10 year battery claim.

In closing, this watch isn't gonna win any beauty contests, but it's functions, simplicity, and discrete look are what sold me.

[UPDATE 2010.09.30 - added con number 4 but not removing a star. I'm still wearing the watch and I am still enjoying it]
1616 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
very good watch please see pictures to see light great watch but scratches overall good
review image review image review image review image
22 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2010
If your looking for an inexpensive digital watch that has all the features like dual time, alarm with snooze,
stopwatch, water resistance, long life battery (10 yrs) and a band that won't die on you then this is a great buy.
The alarm has a good feature in that you can set the day or day/month for the alarm to go off.

Sure enough there is no countdown timer on this model, but at the end of the day it does what it is designed to do -
tell the time, and accurately.

Another excellent feature of this watch is that when your setting the alarm, the current time is displayed as well, and also when in stopwatch mode and of course when it's on dual time.

One thing I like about the watch itself is that the face features the day in three letters, the year in full, day and month, and the digital time display is set in large numbers.

It's made in China, but don't let this put you off, mine hasn't missed a beat and I'm sure its made to strict Casio specs.

Cons: The plastic face will scratch easily if treated carelessly. However, one cannot avaiod the occasional bump
against a wall or something. But this watch wont set you back alot of cash anyway.

Besides my Swiss made Swatch, I find Casios to keep better time than much more expensive watches, like my Citizen Windsurfer Protek, or my Rolex Daytona.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2011
I've had owned a lot of Casio watches since I was a little kid, and I have loved them all. About 2 years ago I saw and bought a F91W for nostalgic reasons but found it to be a bit small now I'm not a kid anymore. When I came across the W800 I found it to be a perfect grown up version of the watch I had loved as a kid.
It is not big and bulky like my G-shocks, it has a very comfortable strap and I have found myself wearing it all day and even sleeping with it on as I forget I'm wearing it. It is 100m water resist and I have worn it in the shower since I bought it about a year ago without any problems. It does have a nice quality feel to it which at this price point is quite a nice surprise.
The strap seems to be a better design than the notoriously short-lived F91W straps. Hopefully this strap will last the lifetime of the watch which I believe is 5 to 6 years if you use the light a lot, which I do.
It has an LED light instead of the EL that other Casio's have which may mean the battery will last longer. It is more than enough to light up the whole face, it is a definite improvement over the feeble LED in the older style F91W or W71. I find the new Casio EL a little too bright if I'm checking the time while still half asleep in the morning so the W800 LED is a nice compromise.
Admittedly the face does scratch easily but it is plastic and small scratches can be buffed out with plastic polish, unlike my much more expensive Seiko watches with Hardlex which once scratched cannot be buffed and the glass needs to be replaced.
Of all my watch purchases this one just seems to give me the most bang for my buck. Since I bought it I have rarely worn anything else.
A pat on the back to Casio for another nice, inexpensive reliable watch.

BTW it does look better in person than in photos. The W800HG-9AV with the golden trim and brown module is particularly nice looking.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2010
I buy a new Casio about once a year. I wear it fishing, out to eat and to the movies, swimming, flying, boating, sleeping, diving, bathing, and working in the yard...well, you get the idea. Non-stop. It always works perfect and I've bought the same kind for years. I do not wear my Rolex Mariner anymore because it never kept correct time anyway. The Casio is always correct and never leaks.
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2015
To start off, this watch looks great. The digits are very easy to read, and using the timer/alarm/stopwatch is very easy as well. The rubber strap is comfortable and does not feel strange around your wrist. The two buttons on each side of the watch are also very easy to press. Overall, for $15, you cannot get a better watch.
review image
on August 31, 2010
As always Casio made a good product. I love this watch. It's cheap and works just fine. My boss has a $3,000 watch and guess what. They both tell the same time! If you're a no frills person who just needs to know what time it is and an occasional alarm or stopwatch, this will do fine. The rubber band is comfortable and won't hold a sweaty funk.
The band is a little long if you have small wrists. I had to trim it.
on September 2, 2009
I got tired of paying $25 to $30 for digital watches that have both the battery and the band go out at the same time, necessitating a $15 expenditure on the watch, so I got this one. It fits well, and keeps good time and it's not bulky and in the way. To prevent scratching, I cut a fitted piece of PDA plastic cover to put over the face. It self-adheres and is easy enough to remove and replace when it gets scratched. If you cut it right, you can't even tell that it's there. Why Casio doesn't make replaceable covers to begin with, I'll never know, because you know what? They'll never tell me, even if I ask nicely.
on April 23, 2013
Although in the past I have had good success with these clever inexpensive Casio watches, this is now the second plastic casio that has broken where pins attach to case rendering it useless to wear. Although this one I received this past Christmas 4 months ago broke after only about 2 months (just getting around to trying to replace it now) I called Casio's repair place on the West Coast and was very disappointed to hear that their 1 yr limited (emphasis on limited) Warranty excludes any defects in the case. If the case breaks at this vulnerable pin insertion spot (this watch has seen particularly light use and NO trauma) the customer is just out of luck. Beware of this before buying any of Casio's inexpensive plastic watches!
on January 10, 2015
It may look a little dorky (my girlfriend described it as "birth control"), but it's a fantastically functional watch for the money. I work in the deli department of a specialty grocery store and I date everything I touch throughout the day, so I chose this watch because of its large display of the day of the week and full date, both extremely handy and easy to read at a glance. I like that the 10 year battery will likely outlast the watch, and the 10 bar water resistance is holding up well so far to daily immersions in a triple sink and a few swims in the ocean. I saw some of the other comments that described the band as a weak point. For what it's worth, the watch has an 18mm lug width so you can easily replace it with any inexpensive NATO or ZULU strap (though the band may cost more than the watch :). See my attached pics with the watch on a Maratac 18mm MI-6 Regimental colors (Bond) ZULU strap.
I think the only con worth mentioning is the soft acrylic crystal, which kind of sticks out from the rest of the watch face, so it is easily scratched. Should it ever get scratched badly enough to really bother me, I'll just spend another $13 on a new one.
A final word about the time keeping- I've only had it a few weeks, but as near as I can tell using time.gov it's running about a second or 2 fast a week, well within its claimed +/- 30 seconds a month spec.
You cannot buy a better watch for the money.
review image review image