5.0 out of 5 stars Not a G-Shock - but that's a good thing!
Just got this watch after ordering a few days ago. Strange thing is, you won't find any product information about it on Casio's US website. Let's get to it:

Pros:
1) Not as bulky as a G-Shock:
Published on August 10, 2009 by Alright Okay

1.0 out of 5 stars Throw it away.
I bought this watch to replace my Casio W71. The weak spot in the W71 was the band itself, which would tear after several years of use. Other than that it was an excellent piece. After having the W800 for slightly over two weeks the corner of the watch that holds the band fractured. I glued it and then several weeks later the other corner fractured. It's brittle junk...
Published 17 months ago by Samuel Danielson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a G-Shock - but that's a good thing!, August 10, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's W800H-1AV "Classic" Sport Watch with Black Band (Watch)

Pros:
1) Not as bulky as a G-Shock:
If you're like me and you want a fully-functioning digital watch without the enormous bulk of a G-Shock, then this watch may fit your bill (even the midsize G-Shocks are tad too large in my book). However, this watch isn't tiny either: The across-width, measured between the buttons on either side but not including buttons, is just a 1/16 inch shy 1.5 inches. The top-to-bottom height, measured between the outside of the top bezel above the "Casio" insignia to the outside of the lower bezel below the "WATER 100M RESIST" is 1 3/16 inches, and just about 1/2 inch thick.
2) Plenty of features:
Dual time, stop-watch with split times, displays the time during the stop-watch function, date setup that knows the day of the week (accounts for leap year too), large display, snooze alarm (!), etc.
3) Great price:
For the value alone I give it the 5-star rating

Cons:
1) Bezel around the crystal is flush with the surface of the crystal - this could lead to scratches if you're not careful
2) Light is not the back lighting "Illuminator" of some other Casio watches - it's green glow that lights from the bottom-left of the display - kinda meh but it does stay on for a few seconds after depressing.
3) Could use a count-down timer.
4) The watch does not allow you keep the light on by keeping the light button depressed. Still turns off after about 1.5 seconds. Can be quite irritating when you're trying to read the watch after waking up all blurry-eyed but I'm sure it's part of keeping that 10 year battery claim.

In closing, this watch isn't gonna win any beauty contests, but it's functions, simplicity, and discrete look are what sold me.

[UPDATE 2010.09.30 - added con number 4 but not removing a star. I'm still wearing the watch and I am still enjoying it]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a head turner, just a good old classic cass, April 7, 2010
If your looking for an inexpensive digital watch that has all the features like dual time, alarm with snooze,
stopwatch, water resistance, long life battery (10 yrs) and a band that won't die on you then this is a great buy.
The alarm has a good feature in that you can set the day or day/month for the alarm to go off.

Sure enough there is no countdown timer on this model, but at the end of the day it does what it is designed to do -
tell the time, and accurately.

Another excellent feature of this watch is that when your setting the alarm, the current time is displayed as well, and also when in stopwatch mode and of course when it's on dual time.

One thing I like about the watch itself is that the face features the day in three letters, the year in full, day and month, and the digital time display is set in large numbers.

It's made in China, but don't let this put you off, mine hasn't missed a beat and I'm sure its made to strict Casio specs.

Cons: The plastic face will scratch easily if treated carelessly. However, one cannot avaiod the occasional bump
against a wall or something. But this watch wont set you back alot of cash anyway.

Besides my Swiss made Swatch, I find Casios to keep better time than much more expensive watches, like my Citizen Windsurfer Protek, or my Rolex Daytona.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a perfect example of value for money, January 1, 2011
I've had owned a lot of Casio watches since I was a little kid, and I have loved them all. About 2 years ago I saw and bought a F91W for nostalgic reasons but found it to be a bit small now I'm not a kid anymore. When I came across the W800 I found it to be a perfect grown up version of the watch I had loved as a kid.
It is not big and bulky like my G-shocks, it has a very comfortable strap and I have found myself wearing it all day and even sleeping with it on as I forget I'm wearing it. It is 100m water resist and I have worn it in the shower since I bought it about a year ago without any problems. It does have a nice quality feel to it which at this price point is quite a nice surprise.
The strap seems to be a better design than the notoriously short-lived F91W straps. Hopefully this strap will last the lifetime of the watch which I believe is 5 to 6 years if you use the light a lot, which I do.
It has an LED light instead of the EL that other Casio's have which may mean the battery will last longer. It is more than enough to light up the whole face, it is a definite improvement over the feeble LED in the older style F91W or W71. I find the new Casio EL a little too bright if I'm checking the time while still half asleep in the morning so the W800 LED is a nice compromise.
Admittedly the face does scratch easily but it is plastic and small scratches can be buffed out with plastic polish, unlike my much more expensive Seiko watches with Hardlex which once scratched cannot be buffed and the glass needs to be replaced.
Of all my watch purchases this one just seems to give me the most bang for my buck. Since I bought it I have rarely worn anything else.
A pat on the back to Casio for another nice, inexpensive reliable watch.

BTW it does look better in person than in photos. The W800HG-9AV with the golden trim and brown module is particularly nice looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio 'disposable' watch, May 9, 2010
I buy a new Casio about once a year. I wear it fishing, out to eat and to the movies, swimming, flying, boating, sleeping, diving, bathing, and working in the yard...well, you get the idea. Non-stop. It always works perfect and I've bought the same kind for years. I do not wear my Rolex Mariner anymore because it never kept correct time anyway. The Casio is always correct and never leaks.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job it's advertised to do., September 2, 2009
I got tired of paying $25 to $30 for digital watches that have both the battery and the band go out at the same time, necessitating a $15 expenditure on the watch, so I got this one. It fits well, and keeps good time and it's not bulky and in the way. To prevent scratching, I cut a fitted piece of PDA plastic cover to put over the face. It self-adheres and is easy enough to remove and replace when it gets scratched. If you cut it right, you can't even tell that it's there. Why Casio doesn't make replaceable covers to begin with, I'll never know, because you know what? They'll never tell me, even if I ask nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, August 31, 2010
As always Casio made a good product. I love this watch. It's cheap and works just fine. My boss has a $3,000 watch and guess what. They both tell the same time! If you're a no frills person who just needs to know what time it is and an occasional alarm or stopwatch, this will do fine. The rubber band is comfortable and won't hold a sweaty funk.
The band is a little long if you have small wrists. I had to trim it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected, September 23, 2009
This is a nice watch with more features than I need. I use it for sports training because the digits are very easy to read at a quick glance. I have not used the alarm or other features and doubt I will. I do like the date and day of the week features. I also bought an analog dial watch for more formal occasions. The price was right for both watches. I don't buy expensive watches so these fit the bill for features and price.

4.0 out of 5 stars The thinking man's Rolex, February 28, 2012
Crookedmouth ":-/" (Somewhere in the Jurassic...) - See all my reviews
OK, so it's not the prettiest watch you can buy but, based as it is, on the "classic" line of Casio's early digital watches it has, like Bet Lynch (do you Yanks get Coronation Street? No? Google "Bet Lynch" for an explanation), a certain retro charm. It's also cheap, long-lasting, robust and functional. How can anyone complain?

The whole affair is presented in a matt black resin finish; a rubber strap that will fit anyone from Kate Moss to Meatloaf and a rather clunky square bezel. The face displays all the time/day/date information in one go in a clear easily read digital format and the backlight lights it all up like a cockney urchin's face at the sight of an array of Blackberrys behind a plate glass window.

There is an alarm, a stopwatch (with pause and split-time functions) and a dual time display that will let you time your urgent business calls to Kuala Lumpur with pipoint precision. All of these functions are intuitively accessed and manipulated via four buttons placed around the bezel. The watch will even mark the hour (should you so wish). Admittedly the rather feeble "peep" sounds not unlike someone treading on an emphysemic mouse but it's sufficiently audible for most purposes. The alarm tone is an insistent (and slightly less pathetic) "peep peep" but there's a snooze function so that you can go back to sleep for a few precious minutes.

It wears very comfortably, over or under the wrist and the buttons don't dig in at all.

So, many many plus points and the only complaint I can rais is that you may want to wear something a little less dowdy when you collect your OBE from Her Majesty.

Buy it and laugh a hearty laugh at those Rolex wearing fops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, October 31, 2011
PROS:
Good price
Lightweight
Quite Retro
Has an alarm and stopwatch
Neon light
Shows date and day nicely

CONS:

Casio have a good reputation for reasonably hardy and reliable watches, so I am hoping this watch will last :)

4.0 out of 5 stars casio w800h 1av review, December 7, 2012
Length:: 4:41 Mins

very good watch please see pictures to see light great watch but scratches overall good