5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Digital Watch
Published on December 4, 2003 by Brian Bosh

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this Watch, Except for One Thing...
Published on May 7, 2010 by stranger55

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Digital Watch, December 4, 2003
Brian Bosh "Programmer" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
Over the years, I have bought nothing but this particular watch. I got my first 6 years ago, and had it for 4 years until it met its end in the washing machine. I drove over the second (whoops!) and am now on the third. The reason I keep coming back to this particular watch is that it is rediculously easy to set and use. In the traditional time mode, there is an option for 10 seconds of backlighting, and a toggle between 12 and 24 hour mode. Press "mode" and you continue on to the alarm settings. You can toggle the alarm on and off, as well as set a chime for the hour. The exact same process is followed to set the alarm as to set the time. Press 'light', then use the 12/24 button to increment the fields, and 'light' to continue through all the fields. If you changed anyhting, pressing mode returns you to the time, otherwise, pressing mode again takes you on to the timer. 12/24 starts the timer, light spltis the time, and 12/24 again stops the timer. Pressing light while stopped clears the entry. Pressing mode returns you to the time if you used the timer, otherwise, it continues on to the set-time screen. This behaves the same as the set alarm screen, except you also set the date here.
After 6 years of using this model watch, I have found exactly two problems.
1) The date didn't increment to Feb 29, 2000. It went to March 1, 2000. But I was able to manually set it, and it's been fine ever since. We'll see what happens Feb 29, 2004.
2) My first one had a type of cloth for the wristband. It wore out relatively quickly, leaving me with the watch but no band. The plastic/rubbery band is much more durrable.
But the positives are much more numerous:
1) Extremely easy to set.
2) Batteries have never wore out on me, and I use the backlight frequently.
3) Nice backlight.
4) Logical "menus"
5) Intuitive navigation - I am a computer programmer, but I've had other digital watches that I could not navigate through with the manual. This one is usable without a manual.
6) Year 2000 compatible! :)
This watch is worth far more than Amazon (or anyone, for that matter) charges for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had it for 10 years now!!!, November 22, 2007
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I didn't buy this at amazon but from a Casio outlet for 15$ about 10 years back. Strap cracked in a couple of years and I replaced it with ones you can find at walmart. Great watch. I've tried, tested, scratched, dropped and used it for 10 years. I will not give this watch away ever just because it is nostalgic for me as well as a work horse. Needs battery replacement now since the illuminator blue light has turned dull. I think I've done it once before but that's it.

Great simple digital watch with alarm, and stop watch. Buy it if you can below 15$ but expect to change the strap in a couple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this Watch, Except for One Thing..., May 7, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I love this model - I have had seven of this model watch, including the one I am wearing now. I still own every single one of them, and they all still run fine. What I like is the ease of setting, programming, etc., and the great big, easy-to-find-when-half-asleep button that operates the light, which is an actual light, by the way, not "indiglo." So why have I had seven of them? Because every one of the previous six has become unusable when one of the four studs that hold the pins which attach the band to the watch have broken off. All six. That's a 100% batting average. My most recent ones, purchased here on Amazon, broke after 2 years, and the previous one broke after only 7 months. However, I do think I have figured out what does them in...I believe that chemicals in sunscreen and bug spray break down the plastic. All of the watches broke during the summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Everyday Watch, November 22, 2007
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I didn't buy mine from Amazon but I thought I'd submit a review here nonetheless. This has been a great everyday watch for me. I'm a warehouse manager and I've worn this watch to work everyday for the past 2 years. To steal another companies catch phrase "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking". I've never had a problem with it and I've only just replaced the original band 2 weeks ago. I couldn't find a Casio replacement strap so I had to go with a Timex (plastic) that was very close but with not quite as nice a feel. At this excellent price it's almost better to buy a new one versus replacing the strap but it's been so good to me I just couldn't bear to throw it away before it's time.

5.0 out of 5 stars casio watch, October 14, 2007
Mr. Ray Adkins (waterloo, il. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
Nice watch-keeps great time and looks good- I just bought it to replace a casio that lasted about 8 years and this one really fits the bill-price is really great-not a dress watch but nice looking and easy to operate- Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH!, October 22, 2007
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I am super impressed with this watch. It was exactly what I wanted. It is easy to use and I love the light illumenator. You just can't expect a better watch for the price. To me it appears to be a higher priced watch than the price I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, August 2, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I bought the same watch 11 years ago and it is still running today on the same battery. I never had to change a battery in 11 years. I was so impressed with this watch that I had to buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beaten. Period, March 17, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
I purchased this for camping and hiking. Figured if I smacked it on a rock or whacked it on a tree limb and it broke, so what? I'd throw it away like I have so many others. That was five years and I don't know how many camping trips ago. OK, the face is scratched and the lettering on the "LIGHT" button is hard to read but I've beat the daylights out of this thing and it still works perfectly. Dead accurate, strong illumination, very light weight, water and shock PROOF. No kidding, I've chopped a ton of wood with it on my wrist and it didn't bother it at all. It's been in the rain, ocean, rivers, showers, etc... and there's with no sign of leaks. The battery lasted three years and took all of ten minutes for me to replace it with a coin cell I got from the local drug store. (The back of the case is screwed on with standard Philips-head screws.) Another plus is the size and thickness. The face is big enough that I don't need my glasses to see it in a dark tent at night but it is small and thin enough that it doesn't interfere with cuffs and gloves in the winter. Best part: You don't need a double "E" degree to set the thing and the alarm is loud. Wear it to church with your Sunday-go-to-meeting suit? Well, no... After all it does look like a watch you spent 20 bucks on. All time best watch for camping and hiking? You betcha! If you're involved in Scouting, get a handful and use them as door prizes and rewards. The Scouts love them!

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak Case, August 5, 2006
Todd Van Every (Southern California) - See all my reviews
The watch runs fine, with all the features I want. Only one problem. Approximately 10 days after receiving and wearing the watch, a portion of the watch case broke. A rather crucial portion -- the small area where the pin that holds the band is attached. In trying to follow Amazon's rules for returning (or repairing) the watch, I recieved time-consuming run-arounds, including countless attempts to reach a live person ("All operators are busy assisting other customers, so please call back.") ... first from Ace (the Distributor), who referred me to Casio, who referred me to their repair center, who referred me to their local repair center. I'm still waiting, approx. 2 weeks later, for a call back from the local guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely accurate, rugged and energy efficient., August 13, 2013
Lenny (Houston TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch (Watch)
Considering the very moderate price, this watch is an amazing value. The watch keeps time to with a few seconds per month, and my first battery lasted almost 9 years!

Casio Men's W87H-1V Illuminator Sport Watch