4.0 out of 5 stars Daily Beater rating: 5
Published on March 17, 2012 by Chuck Barr

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 1.5 months before it broke, not covered by warranty.
I purchased this watch in August, loved it.
In September I was moving some furniture and the band tore the pin out of the plastic housing. I was told to send it in for repair at my expense, then I was told they could repair it for approximately $22. Which was frustrating because I had purchased it for $27, 1.5 months prior.
I previously had a $17 Timex, that...
Published 7 months ago by Tom

4.0 out of 5 stars Daily Beater rating: 5, March 17, 2012
Chuck Barr (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Men's WS220-1A Solar Runner Tough Solar Multi-Function Runner Watch (Watch)
The watch came charged up. On the first day I ran it down to 'M'. The following Saturday I let it charge in full direct sun for 8+ hours. Since, even with moderate/heavy daily use, the watch has never went below 'H'. One day a week I place it in the window (often on overcast days) to charge... that's it, so the solar seems to work great. I do keep the energy saver on and the light on '1 sec' however.

Most people think it's a G-Shock from the appearance.

Initially I was attracted to this watch because of the dual countdown timers. I was disappointed you cannot have them run simultaneously, only alternating. This is great at the gym, though. I didn't think much of the large stopwatch memory, but now I love it! Each sequence uses mutiple memory slots (a date/time slot, and another for each lap) but with 120 available it doesn't matter. I wish it were possible to turn off the 'best' lap feature because sometimes I consider the longest time 'best'. The manual is thick thick but the watch is pretty easy to use and all the alarms are easy to set/change.

The backlight is weak, not the blue vibrant electro-luminescent of casio or timex indiglo. There is a tiny yellow diode in the bottom left near the 'T' in the word SELECT. It gets the job done. It doesn't really bother me except I may have gotten the 'gold' model WS220-9AV instead had I paid closer attention.

The watch beeps nicely. I can navigate to any mode by listening to the sound of the beeps. Press until high pitched beep (standard time mode) +3 regular beeps = countdown timer, for example.

The alarm is not super loud. The sound would be lost driving on the highway, but not around town streets.

The band is good, does not pull hair. I trimmed 4mm off and it still looks great. Some would prefer a metal buckle. I would not.

At times I wear heavy gloves at work. I can press all 5 buttons fine.

Several times I have forgotten to take it off before showering/swimming. No issues with underwater button presses in my experience. I trust the seals so far.

My biggest gripe is the "crystal". It's just acrylic. Nowhere near sapphire or even hardlex. If an eyelash drops on it a light feature line will appear. Collect'em, buff'em out, collect some more. The letters 'tough solar' and 'illuminator' will probably wear off at some point.

Lost ~4 seconds over 3 months.

If the watch is pointed beyond the bill of my hat I see 88:88. 30 degrees?

The current time is viewable in all modes besides REC (recall memory).

The "running man" icon is animated.

I will never enjoy this watch as much as my mechanicals, but for the $36 price tag as a daily driver it is very enjoyable. I expect 10+ years of service easily, unless we run out of sun.

If you enjoy watches that "do many things" this piece will probably satisfy.

4/5 but probably closer to 5 if you consider value.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite watch. Casio has a new fan!, July 4, 2012
I have an Ironman, Timex heart rate monitor, and two Expedition models. They all have the same features that are just remixed into different watch bodies. My daily watch, which you guessed it, was a Timex, had disappeared so I was in search of a new watch. I did find it but I decided to purchase this one anyway. I'm glad I did. I research almost every purchase I make because I like to get the most for my money. I'm a huge tech geek and was looking at way more expensive watches than this. I tried on and checked out a ton of watches with way more bells and whistles only to find out none of them worked particularly well and really weren't reliable.

Here was my criteria for a new watch - It had to be able to withstand all nature could throw at it along with the extreme heat of my work environment. I wanted a digital with the month, day and day of the week displayed. I also wanted a reoccurring timer for interval training and I also wanted a resin watch band and here's why, I spend a few days a week at the beach and like to keep my watch on when I'm in the water. I also do some hiking and leather tends to dry out over time from getting wet and drying. Leather and nylon bands also eventually start to stink over time due to bacteria and sweat build up even with regular cleaning... which also drys out leather.

After looking at all the different brands, Casio and this watch in particular, came out on top. It had all the criteria I was looking for. This watch hands down has great timer for interval training. I did not find the same type of timer on any other Casio watch or any of the other brands that I looked at. The timer was a huge selling point for me. It has two timers that run concurrent, so even if you have two periods of different lengths, they can be programmed that way. The alarm tone is much louder than my Timex watches, which is nice. It also keeps track of your reps for you so you can just focus on working out. It is limited to ten periods per, a total of twenty, but this is way more useful for me than the standard infinite repeating single timer on the Timex watches. I like the solar charging and have had no issues with the watch running low. There is a battery gauge on the screen and mine has never left high. The watch band was extremely long so I did trim it down which isn't a big deal with a resin band. It has world time. A stopwatch that I never use. I use ecoach and a zephyr heart rate monitor to track any of my other data. It also has five alarms. It looks good too. Since I've gotten this watch, I haven't touched any of my other watches. I'm sure there are other things/features I am forgetting about but what I've covered is really what sold me on this watch and why it continues to be my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dollar for Dollar, the best watch I've ever owned, April 6, 2013
Updated: I'm right at two years with mine. I purchased it with a specific use in mind. I swim regularly. Based on the feedback of other swimmers, waterproofness of digital watches is hit or miss with most staying water-tight. That is, until the battery has been replaced. After that, it's often a "miss". So, I bought a watch that shouldn't need a battery replacement during its expected lifetime - the WS-220-1A.

I love the watch. As someone else said, it resembles a G-Shock. Love the looks, the accuracy (it gains 3-4 seconds per month), the features and the improbability of ever having to replace the rechargeable battery. I initially topped off the battery by leaving it on my windowsill in direct sunlight for a day and it's never indicated less than fully charged since.

It's become my daily wear casual watch. 5 stars.

Addendum: My family own's six Casio solar watches. We love them but we understand them.

1. A solar watch uses the energy of ultraviolet light to charge a a lithium based rechargeable battery. Many who don't know that solar watches charge using the ultraviolet portion of the spectrum often try to use light sources that won't work (desk lamps for example) and are disappointed. Direct sunlight has copious amounts of ultraviolet; fluorescent based light has a little; incandescent light has effectively none.
Q: Why didn't Casio design mine to use visible light so I can use my desk lamp?
A: You don't want to know. (It has to do with usable voltage and the physics of photon capture using doped semiconductors.)

2. The capacity of a typical solar cell watch battery is huge compared to the watch circuit's daily power requirement. Most should give his/her solar watch a big charge once or twice a year then not worry about what it gets daily. We set ours in direct sunlight for most of a day several times a year then treat them like any other watch the other 363 days. If your watch gets little charge boosts from daily wear, great. If not, it's no big deal. According to Casio, a FULLY charged battery in this watch will run it for about 11 months with ZERO exposure to ultraviolet. But a FULL charge takes time. For a nearly exhausted battery, that's 31 hours of direct sunlight, 155 hours of direct through a window, ... (see manual). But your battery should never be nearly exhausted. Ours all arrived with what I'd estimate to be 70 or 80 percent charge and needed a day, in one case two days, on a sunlit windowsill to reach full charge. I repeat, after the initial charge, every one of our solar Casios has remained in the highest charge state with NO special treatment save two days a year on a sunlit windowsill.

3. The most common loss of water tightness in watches is a result of battery replacement. Because the battery in a solar watch should last twelve to fifteen years, you are significantly less likely to suffer water intrusion problems with a solar than with other watches near it's price.

addendum:
4. The bezel is significantly raised at the top, bottom and both sides which provides quite a bit of protection to the acrylic crystal. Many of the lower priced watches sold on Amazon are falsely listed as having mineral crystals. (Mineral crystal is much more scratch resistant than is acrylic.) Don't believe such claims for watches that sell below $60 or so; with a couple of exceptions, all have acrylic crystals. At just past the two year mark, my crystal has one extremely small scratch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Tape!, March 1, 2013
Harrier "Harrier" (KEYPORT, NEW JERSEY United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a big, big fan of Casio watches and this runners type watch continues to impress. Lightweight, smart programing, straight forward set up and readability make this a wonderful watch/chrono/waterproof timepiece for any one who has either broken the tape at a race or just loves to run. The solar power function took only an hour or so of casual wearing to charge to the highest level and it's not so huge that lady runners would feel goofy wearing it.
And oh yeah, it keeps nearly perfect ( a second or so per month) time too :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good everyday watch!, July 30, 2013
I ordered this watch on the 21st of July with free shipping. I was a little surprised it came on the 30th, when Amazon claims it can be delivered within 5-8 days. Most websites that offer free shipping like this usually gets to me by the 5th day I placed the order, but what do expect from free shipping? Anyways, it is a good watch. I received the exact same model and it came in fully charged. It has an abundance of features that can be useful in everyday life. I chose this watch because I was looking for a cheap, but reliable watch for my EDC(Every Day Carry). It was solar powered, which caught my main focus. And it being water resistant as well(you can actually do casual swimming with this watch with no water damage, I've tested and it was true.), it was shaping up for a good survival/outdoors watch. I could rely on this watch if I went out camping again and as for survival, it'll work. Just as long as you don't give it blunt trauma(it is not designed to be along the lines of G-Shock resistant, so please do be careful. It may seem rugged, but is not designed for abusive use.). I am very pleased to receive a watch of this quality for such a good price at around 32 dollars. If I had to, I would buy this watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar watch, July 15, 2013
I do a lot of running, therefore, it does what I need it to do, time, stopwatch, and countdown. Has a few other options and alarms that make it helpful and best of all solar powered so I don't have to worry about a battery change. It is also lightweight and well priced so an easy buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than it looks, March 1, 2013
I have a Casio watch with altimeter and compass which looks similar to this watch, but is much heavier.
This isn't as light as a minimalist running watch, but it is easy to push the buttons while you are running.
I do a lot of running at a track, so the lap feature is important to me.
Plus, it just seems like I run faster when I look down at the watch and see that little guy at the upper left running! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Casio watch., January 7, 2014
Perfect function of alarm and others. Light and battery working as expected. Waterproof resistance in hot, cold and sea water, tested and aproved (Be careful with the soap because it stains the belt). Very comfortable and the screen is resistant to scratches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 13, 2013
José Ángel Pimentel Márquez (Mcy, Edo. Aragua, Venezuela.) - See all my reviews
Excellent product, in perfect condition, what they show is what they sell, I am totally satisfied with the purchase, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Solar Timepiece, November 5, 2013
Chill0ut1 (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
Best digital watch. To borrow a line from Ronco - set it and forget it. Since this is a watch that never requires a standard battery (but nice that you can replace the internal rechargeable lithium battery)...because it runs on solar energy, and it has every world time zone which you cycle through - there is never a reason to reset the time when traveling to another timezone. Additionally, it has two clocks that it keeps, so you have your local timezone that displays date, day of week, and DST if turned on. Press the mode button a few times, and you see the World Time Clock, which you can change to the well-known city code for that timezone, which allows you to retain your local time zone setting and time. I syncronized my watch with the Atomic clock in Boulder Colorado via their website - a maunual operation of setting your watch, right on the second while watching their java app. Now I never have to set this watch again as there is no battery to replace. I love this watch so much, I put my Titanium Omega watch aside because this watch is just that cool. Watch also has stop watch, countdown timer, and other cool features like power-save mode that turns off the screen when it's dark to save battery. On the top-left of the watch face is a little solar battery meter (high, medium, or low). This watch does not need to be in direct sunlight to charge; ambient light is sufficient to keep the internal solar cell charged. Did I mention how much I love this watch!? I bought a second one, that I can have years from now if the band were to break for some reason. However I don't think that will happen as this watch is very sturdy.

Rate and Discover Movies