Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on May 4, 2006
I have had this watch for over two years and it is great. I have NOT had trouble finding a place to change the battery. The little watch kiosk in my train station does it. I ride the trains in Chicago and they run on a tight schedule, trains typically leave with in 15 seconds of their scheduled time. Before this watch I was always running for the train because I was not sure my watch was accurate within seconds. Now I have total confidence that my watch is accurate.

My only two dings on this watch are that the crystal is plastic and prone to scratching and the watch band broke after two years.

I am on Amazon today looking for a new watch because between the broken band and the upcoming battery change I have about $25 in repairs coming up. I think I will just get a new one with a clean crystal.
on March 18, 2006
I received a Casio Waveceptor watch as a gift, and was thrilled with the accuracy and coolness factor of having an "atomic watch".

That ended abruptly when the battery died. For starters, that happens quicker than you'd expect with a normal watch, since the process of receiving the radio signal takes a lot of battery power to accomplish. Then there's the process you must go through to get the battery changed.

I went to several places, starting with Wal-Mart and ending with a dedicated watch store. All of them told me the same thing: you cannot change the battery in a Casio watch! I was shocked. The only way to replace a dead battery is to send the watch in to Casio and have them do it!

This is also a very lengthy process. First, you must send the watch in for an "estimate". Then, they will send you back a written letter explaining the required services. (In my case, I needed a new wrist band as well.) Then, you send back an authorization for the services. Finally, they complete the repairs and send you back your watch.

This process takes upwards of six weeks, and there is no way to speed it up. All communication MUST be in writing. There is no way to contact Casio on the phone or online. And it's EXPENSIVE. Much more than you'd expect to pay just to replace the battery.

If you are willing to cope with all of these issues, the Casio Wavecepter is a great watch. For me though, it's just not worth it. I did not replace the battery when it died a second time. Instead I bought a new watch, and vowed never to buy (or ask for) a Casio again.
99 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2006
This Casio "Wave Ceptor" watch is a superb product. It receives a radio signal from NIST radio station WWVB in Ft Collins, CO. The watch sets the time and date automatically by synchronizing itself with the US national time standard as determined by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which is based on an atomic clock. Some people refer to these type of watches as "atomic watches", but it would be more accurate to call them "radio-controlled" watches. This watch can receive the WWVB signal within a roughly 2000 mile radius of Ft Collins, CO -- which covers nearly all of North America.

The watch has many useful functions in addition to timekeeping, including "world time" (being able to check the time in other timezones), alarms, date alerts, and "time recorder" (record the precise time of an important event), and stopwatch functions.

This is my second Casio Wave Ceptor watches. The first product I purchased 2-3 years ago (Module #2587). This watch has Module #2556. It has a number of improvements over the earlier model.

1) The numerals showing the time are easier to read.

2) The watch automatically attempts to receive the WWVB signal 3 times within a 24-hour period at 2am, 4am, and 6am every day (instead of once a day at 1am).

3) One can check the date and time of when the last time synchronization signal was successful received.

A minor nit - the only thing that I miss in the new watch as compared to the older model is that it does not have the option to simultaneously display both the local time and UTC time. With the new module, to see UTC time, one must use the "World Time" feature to view time in the GMT time zone.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this watch. It is a remarkable piece of technology. It has a high-tech "cool" style. It's also a great value. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a highly accurate watch.
on August 28, 2005
I wanted to like this watch, but couldn't. If you want a decent atomic watch, get one of the timex ones, such as "Timex 1440 Sports Radio Control 50041" or "Timex 1440 Sports Radio Control 50031". I have the 50041 and it has no trouble receiving the time in Washington State.

This casio was the smallest and lightest of the casio waveceptors but is still way too big.
on April 19, 2006
Reading the other review stating the buttons are hard to press. I found this to be useful. Working in this watch (which is what I purchased it for) does not allow me to accidentally press functions to find later I am not displaying local time. I did this quite often with my old Ironman. I actually found them quite easy to press by making lateral motion vs pushing the buttons into your wrist.

I also found that in Houston, that I could update using the atomic signal in my home at 2 pm. The manual states it is best at night (2-4-6 am) but I could recieve the signal great.

Plenty of alarms. I found 'light' feature intresting. Pressing the light illuminates the 'black' digits in the LCD in a type of stencile cut-out manner. The backgroud is not lit but the time is, unlike others which light the entire face unevenly. This looks impressive but not particulary bright> It does work fine for illumination.
on June 18, 2008
I love this watch. Before purchasing the watch I red reviews and was kind of skeptical. After I received the watch and took it to local watch shop just to see if they can change battery. They opened the watch, looked at it and asked me why I asked about the battery. Well, I told them about one review where the guy is saying that in order to change the battery you have to send it to the factory....guys were kind enough not to laugh at me. Same goes for the guy who say, that his wrist band broke right away...trust me, you have to be Hercules to break this wrist band. It is made of very soft but tough material.
So, please do not pay attention to negative feedback about this watch. It is great. I checked to see how accurate it is and was very pleased to see that accuracy is very good. Design is very ergonomic, fits very good; night light looks cool in the dark.
For the money it is the best watch you can buy in my opinion.
on September 19, 2006
I originally had a casio analog/dial watch with the WAVE CEPTOR feature.

Some bonehead at casio made the wrist band large enough to use as a choker; and no visible way to reduce it.

So I returned that watch and bought this model.

It's digital readout and is dependable in providing the correct time. (I've tested it several times against various online time standards).

Mine was from wally-world, for like $29.99 + tax.

Later I found it available here on amazon for about the same price.

A good watch. Have had it in water a few times and no condensation problems.

2 thumbs up for this guy.
on June 29, 2008
Had it for a year and a half.
Loved the accuracy. Lots of features and bells and whistles. Neat when you first get it, but you don't really use them much.

I'll echo the comment that the buttons are too hard to activate.

Watertight seal failed at the year and a half point.

Will buy another Waveceptor type watch, but not this one.
on May 12, 2007
Watch lens is plastic and scratches easily. Watch must be sent back to factory to change the battery due to waterproof seal.

On East Coast of US, very picky about location in home for overnight update of WWVB time signal.
on February 23, 2007
the band broke in less than a year. Actually it was not the band but the side of the plastic case. It's a nice watch but if you want durability, choose one of the metal banded waveceptors.

See 1 answered question