5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Baby-G Blue Whale - Fun & Fairly Durable
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

Published on May 22, 2011 by Melissa Mularski

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a nice watch
Published on June 15, 2011 by Caitlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Was a nice watch, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Casio Women's BG169R-2 Baby-G Blue Whale Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
I got this watch because many people I work with (EMT's, Police, Fire) have this brand. I got the color because it was bright and matched my uniform. When I got it I was thrilled! It was brightly colored, held up during 911 calls, I can wear it in the water and not worry about damage, and I loved the little animals that popped up when you hit the light button! But after 6 months the color turned from bright aqua blue to an ugly brownish color. The watch itself was great, I've bashed it on numerous occations and objects and not a stratch! But the disgusting moldy brown color gets worse over time. I would not buy this watch again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, March 2, 2011
The watch band and case completely discolored from a pretty blue to an awful grey. Even though Casio America is fully aware of this defect and the high probability of this discoloration occurring Casio still refuses to provide prior notification to the consumer. Casio America attempts to absolve themselves of any and all responsibility for this defect by simply indicating Casio's warranty does not cover cosmetic defects!

3.0 out of 5 stars Baby G strap and watch faded, August 24, 2010
Bought my daughter a Baby G 169 and have seen the coler of the watch and the band fade considerably over a short time. I replaced the band once, but found the new band and the watch were mismatched in color due to the plastic resin of the watch fading to a gray color. Watch works great and is easy to use. Probably would be better off not buying the translucent models. Maybe the solid models would hold up better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Baby-G Blue Whale - Fun & Fairly Durable, May 22, 2011
Melissa Mularski (Brown Deer, WI USA) - See all my reviews
-George Bernard Shaw

I've never been a girly-girl, and rarely wear jewelry or watches, but I gave this watch a shot, and I love it. I've owned it for 3 months now. This watch is fun. It makes me FEEL fun. It's also cute, and looks good with just about any clothes you might wear. I went out to an upscale restaurant this weekend and even wore it with my party dress.

Others have mentioned the little animals on the watch. It's true, at the :30 second mark the day (MON, TUE, etc.) changes to an animated animal - puppy, fish, etc. You'll probably care about this for as long as I did, but it's there if you ever need to entertain a kid for a short while.

The watch alarm is fairly quiet, so unless you're an extremely light sleeper, you probably won't want to rely on this to wake you up. But it can be used as a 'reminder' alarm. I use mine as a "You've got 10 minutes to get your butt out the door or you'll be late!" reminder.

The watch is large without being overpowering; I have medium-sized wrists, and have plenty of holes to go larger or smaller. There are small horizontal face protectors along the top and bottom of the watch face which help keep the face scratch free. The blue watch isn't as vivid as the photo, but it's still a nice light blue. I've done camping, hiking, landscaping and lots of exercising with this watch on, and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

I'd forgotten how useful a simple watch was; I'm a recovering "check-my-cell-phone-for-the-time-every-10-minutes" person (which usually meant 15 seconds fumbling for my phone, 5 seconds checking my phone's time, then 5 minutes being distracted by all the wonderful things I can check on my phone BESIDES the time). I recommend this watch for its durability, price, usefulness, as well as its cute (without being too cute) and fun factor.

UPDATE September 2012
Well, I've had this watch for about a year and a half now. It's still on my wrist almost every moment of every day. My only issue with it is the blue color of the band and watch itself has greatly faded over time. It's now an extremely light blue, almost transparent, except for the metal blue on the actual watch face, and the blue letter G on the indiglo button. Still, it has been on me during countless days of swimming in pools and oceans, many days of digging last year when I was putting in a whole yard's worth of perennials, shrubs and helping my husband dig a 1,300 gallon pond in our backyard. Meaning, it has seen a LOT of life in the last year and a half. It still works fine, and as far as the fading color goes, at least it's been fading consistently. I'm still happy with it, but may go with a more vibrant Baby G in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Features Big Watch, July 3, 2010
I really love all the features of this watch. Setting the time did make me go to the manual, but after getting familiar with the button placements, I was good to go. It's gone in the swimming pool several times and been accidentally smacked against the wall on numerous occasions and is still going strong. It also has cute little animals that appear in the top window...kids love to watch it (and so do I). The only thing I don't like about this watch is that it is a very BIG watch and I have very tiny wrists.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Wife loves it, February 20, 2010
I wear a G shock myself, so I was looking at the women models for my wife. She is a nurse and needed a durable flashy watch, and absolutely loves it. She has only had the watch for a couple of weeks, but my experience with my Gshock is that they are bullet proof. I have never broke a band or lost a button, and mine takes a ton of abuse!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time and time again, June 2, 2010
Bought this for my wife who is a nursing student. She has nothing but praise of the Baby-G's useful features in her day to day activities, whether her clinical days or when working part time at the hospital.

This is her first Casio Baby-G, and she loves it. She says is has "everything" she needs. I grew up wearing the G-Shock model and have always enjoyed them. Casio knows what they are doing when it comes to making multi-purpose watches like this one.

While programming the watch is not difficult, the instructions were easy to follow. Glad I found this model and for such an awesome price!

Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch except for one major flaw, August 26, 2013
Amazon Customer (Davenport, IA USA) - See all my reviews
Like most G-Shock watches, this is a strong watch that fit my 10 year old god-daughter's wrist perfectly. Initially this was a beautiful watch with an ocean blue color. I had read some reviews that this watch does not maintain it's blue color for long (I was hoping that was a fluke and gambled on buying it)... and sure enough in almost exactly 8 MONTHS, this watch has started to get that dingy, ugly grayish color. Oh what a disappointment. While the watch part still works, I know most people will be buying this because of the color. My advice is... don't! 8 Months is way to short of a time for the discoloration. And when it turns grayish it really is an ugly, dirty looking watch. I do not recommend this watch for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for a mom on the go!, August 13, 2010
This watch holds up very well for me with 2 young children. It can take a beating from me and my children who enjoy playing with it to look at the animals that come up on the watch face every 30 seconds. I also use the watch in the pool for swimming laps and it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic watch for the pool, May 31, 2010
I love this watch. I have had it for around a year. I swim 2 nights a week and it works great. I can see the display under the water or out. Everyone at the pool is always asking me the time. It looks nice enough. It is very reliable. Fairly easy to use. Buttons are nicely sized. I am replacing it now as my 7 year old son just had to have it from me. Also, the blue bars over the display and the resin band are somewhat grimy. Also the watch display is a bit thick. But I love it so much that I am happy to replace it with the same or a similiar one. Great job Baby-G.

Rate and Discover Movies