5.0 out of 5 stars Undestructable
Published on June 28, 2010 by Maria L. Meinhardt

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set.
Stylish as anticipated but very difficult to set. The little book that came with it was so minuscule --- no reading glasses could assist me. Went to the website and downloaded the manual so I could manage the font size.

I bought it for its 5 alarms. Those alarms also very difficult.

Am sure it keeps good time but is a lot of trouble getting it...
Published 21 months ago by Nedra Bayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Undestructable, June 28, 2010
This review is from: Casio Women's BG169R-8 "Baby-G" Gray Resin Sport Watch (Watch)
I had this watch for 4 years. I wore it non-stop through military training, in mud, in snow, surfing, hot desert climates, a deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan. I changed the battery all but once. It was fantastic and never failed me. It got stolen in Afghanistan, unfortunately. I am defintely buying the same one again. The only con - the band started peeling its shiny cover after about 3 years, but when I removed it all, it revealed a nice matte finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch for Fitness and Fashion, May 10, 2010
Moonquake (Baton Rouge, LA USA) - See all my reviews
The Baby Gs are fashionable but I only heard of them when I was researching a watch to use during workouts. It's easy to access the various functions once you get the hang of it. The instructions booklet is generic so I had to guess sometimes how to do things.

Things I like: I'm very happy about the countdown, stopwatch and date functions. The grey color is neutral and unobtrusive so I will wear this watch as my regular watch excepting dressy occasions. And the counters, day, dates, and years are great functions. I love that it's water resistant to 660 feet and shock resistant too. I'm really hard on watches so the thought this one might actually last a while thrills me to no end.

What I don't like: I wish this watch came in even more colors than it does. I didn't really find a color that I loved, loved, loved. I wish this watch came in a clear red, not a solid one or that the solid black was more readily available. So no five stars, on looks alone. The MSRP is also way too high IMO.

Overall I'm happy with the watch, and I'm glad I bought it. It replaced the Timex Ironman as my favorite workout watch because it promises to be much more water resistant, and it's much more fashionable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around sports watch!, August 23, 2011
I'm not the owner of this watch--I actually bought it for a young relative. She loves the way the watch looks and works. Casio makes great watches these days, some models better than others. I checked this one out thoroughly and it's definitely solidly made and has a well thought out module (brain) inside it. Plus, it has some fun animations that she loves to play with. It's a great watch for a young kid that also works well for a young adult. I definitely see her growing up with this watch into adulthood. The good thing is that if you buy it in one color, you can get other colors from the Casio parts and service place. The bezel and band are interchangeable and not that difficult to swap. So, if you want you can get an assortment of colors (white, clear, smoke, blue, pink) and change them to suit the seasons or whatever moves you. This smoke model looks very good and works well with whatever colorful clothes a person wears.

The battery life on this watch is rated for 3 years, but I've found that Casio watch batteries typically last much longer than that (sometimes double) depending on how much you use the functions on it. The person I gave this to used the light a few hundred times over the course of a couple of a week, but gradually she backed off as the novelty wore off. The good thing is that the battery is a pretty standard model and not that difficult to replace either.

Also, a minor point, but the packaging is terrific. It's nicely designed with good color combinations. It certainly adds to the good feeling of opening up the metal tin to find your watch waiting inside.

The only thing I wish Casio did differently with these watches is to provide a nice and simple quick-start guide. The manual is VERY THICK and intimidating for any kid. Since it is a "Baby G", the target market is women and children, so such a quick start guide would be helpful to get a person going without having to wade through a big booklet (it's really thick because it contains instructions in multiple languages).

Lastly, it's important to know that these translucent plastics have a tendency to discolor when exposed to the sun for very long periods over time. Typically it will be a yellowing. I've seen photos of blue and pink ones that look peculiar with various color shifts. Anyway... the smoke color seems to be a little more resistant to the discoloration. Still, it may be a good idea to buy an extra bezel and band in case parts are hard to come by down the road, so you can refresh the watch when the time comes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you love being near/at/in the water!, August 29, 2011
Length:: 0:40 Mins

This watch is everything I was looking for. I needed a watch that could withstand the rigors of sailing and this one clearly does. It's a little on the bulky side but since it had every feature I figured it had to be bulky to pack it all in.

Military time for plotting charts,
Hourly alarm to remind me to plot charts every top of the hour
Calendar to know what day it is
Water Proof to I think 600 feet AWESOME FEATURE!
Indigo light button to see at night

It would be nice to have more color choices but I can live with that. I need to plot charts every top of the hour & the alarm helps to remind me of that I also need to learn to memorize military time for plotting charts and this watch allows me to do so. The price was very reasonable ($50 bucks) I only gave the 4 stars due to it's lack of color selections and the bulkiness otherwise it'd be a solid 5 stars!!

The video will show just how thick the watch is on my wrist. If you can live with that, then this watch will NOT disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch, April 8, 2010
I'm in the water a lot and needed a watch that was waterproof and this one is perfect. It is a little bulky, but I don't think it's too big and I have a rather small wrist. I love the animals that displays at the day when the 30 seconds rolls around...that's just an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty awesome sports watch, July 11, 2011
Inked Phoenix (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I gave up on the hope of finding a "regular" watch with 24hr capability so I decided to buy my first sports watch. I bought the Baby G in gray. I am impressed with it overall- love all the features. I can switch between military and civilian time easily, the timer and stop watch come in very handy, and it's neat that it can hold phone numbers as well. Nicely surprised I didn't have to program the watch with the time as well, just change the "world city" to get it to display correctly.

My disappointments? Well I have a very small wrist. I've never seen a sport watch that would fit my wrist nicely- plus they recommend you don't wear it tightly anyway (likely due to sweat)- this is not why I rate the watch at four stars since I can't fault it for something I already knew would be a downside.

The reason I rated this watch at 4 stars instead of 5 is how easily the plastic parts get marked up. I get white marks on it constantly and I'm not sure how they appear because I am not at all hard on my watches. I am assuming a light bang on furniture and there it appears. HOWEVER, I found an easy solution which may help others as well with marks and scratches that appear (maybe even the discoloration some people have mentioned), I took out my Wenol (Wenol Metal Polish 3-oz.) and voila! All gone. (No household should be without Wenol, it cleans ***everything***.) Anyhow I was disappointed that the watch wasn't more durable in that sense. Makes it more finicky than a "regular" watch.
Other than that one downside, I really love this watch.

****update Feb 2013****CHANGED THIS TO A 5 STAR REVIEW!- Absolutely in love with this watch. With infrequent maintenance using the Wenol mentioned above, this watch still looks and performs as good as the day I got it. Haven't had to change the original battery yet even with my frequent use of both the stopwatch and count down timers (also switching between civilian and military times). Haven't regretted this purchase at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!!, April 16, 2011
This watch is so easy to use once you get the hang of it. The instructions are quite precise, but getting used to the buttons takes a bit of time. I love that the buttons are a little bit harder to push as this helps to have no accidental alarms etc going off because you have knocked the button unknowingly.
I bought this watch for the time zone feature and the stopwatch function, but have found the countdown and the phone number storage excellent features as well. I count down holidays and birthdays with the kids and the Baby-G makes it so much easier. The kids also love the animals!
Excellent purchase and will probably buy another one in a different colour as well. Love it love it love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, February 6, 2011
This watch is just the right size for a female wrist. Easy to read dial and easy to set up. It has a few features I may not use, but the watch suits all my needs. As an added bonus, this watch is entertaining, too. Every 30 seconds in the day of the week section of the watch face, you will see a brief animated picture. I recommend this watch for anyone looking for a sport watch or a good watch for work!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS WATCH!!, February 19, 2013
I LOVE this watch! It does it all!! It wears and washes well...I am a dental hygienist and wear it daily. Goes with everything...and its comfy to wear all day long. I want it in every color!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price, December 7, 2010
It does more than I need and is so light weight. I purchased the watch for scuba diving but find myself wearing it all the time.