Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casper (Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

This is a wholesome story of a boy who became ill and died much too young. He falls in love with a young 'live' girl who moves into the abandoned mansion with her father (a believer in the possibility of reaching into the beyond and speaking to the spirits). The three pesky ghosts add humor (guests can be so bothersome, especially if they're dead). Throw in a little greed for tension and it's a wonderful, entertaining plot for all ages. The scene between Casper and his mother will bring tears...but I loved it.

Chrissy K. McVay - Author
on April 8, 2002
Who says there are no such things as ghosts? Not if there is the ghostly inhabitants of Whipstaff Manor in Friendship, Maine!
This desolate mansion is then, in the words of one of the members of the Ghostly Trio of Whipstaff, 'intruded' by Kat Harvey (Christina Ricci) and her eccentric father Dr. James Harvey (Bill Pullman), a ghost therapist. Carrigan Crittenden (Cathy Moriarty) had hired Dr. Harvey to exorcise the ghosts, including Casper the friendly ghost and his three obnoxious uncles, Stretch, Fatso and Stinkie, aspiring to gain Whipstaff's 'buried gold'.
Intertwining humour, all-time 'floating' fun and a modern Cinderella story, 'Casper' promises to please as a movie which is compelling, hilarious, captivating, heart-warming, witty and above all, truly 'fleshtastic'.
'Casper' is recommended for any audience, regardless of age. ... 'Casper' ... manages to appear endearing and ultimately special.
The magic of Bill Pullman, Christina Ricci as well as that of director Brad Silberling, executive producer Steven Spielberg, and other producers weaves between each and every scene to eventually lift us off our feet.
Above all, I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Casper is my all time favourite character. Truly fleshtastic. BOOlistic! You won't BOOlieve it until you see it.
on July 27, 2005
i first saw this movie when i was younger and i still love it today. there are so many touching and comical moments that children and well as their parents can enjoy. i'm sure this film will become a classic in years to come. i hope everyone who has not seen this movie will see it soon so that they too will know of this wonderful family movie. it's the best children's movie that's come out in years.
on March 2, 2016
I absolutely love this movie and it really brings me back to my childhood. I love watching it for the funny, silly sense of humor of the ghosts and I really love the the magic that is in this film. I just think it is such a classic. My favorite scene of the movie is when the ghosts are eating at the table and the food is falling on the ground--I just find that scene really funny! The special effects are really good for it being from the mid-90's and I just personally really enjoy the story line that the film has as well. It's super cute, family friendly and just classic in my opinion. The I also was in love with Devon Sawa as a teen girl when this came out and so his appearance in the movie always just makes me smile! And I found out that James Horner does the music for the film and I LOVE his work! He is iconic in the film music industry. Just love it! Had to have it on my phone before a flight so I had something to watch in the airport travelling! Great movie, if you have seen it or if it is a new film to watch, it's hard not to enjoy the storyline of this film!
on August 11, 2014
I loved this movie when I saw it in the theatre back in the 90s. I liked the way it explored Casper, born Casper McFadden, as a person, regardless of whether he was "alive" or "dead," and told us something about his life and his living family. I found Christina Ricci, as Kat, the girl he falls in love with, to be charming and engaging. Bill Pullman, as Kat's weirdo scientist father, seeks to learn what "haunts" ghosts and discussed some interesting theories about what drives spirits. Casper's uncles, the obnoxious Ghostly Trio, I could have done without. I found their slapstick over the top and heavy-handed, not to mention, unnecessary. The film is at its best when showing how a child's consciousness, lingering after physical death, continues to seek some meaning in a new plane of existence.
on January 22, 2016
This movie/series is an upgrade to our regular dvds making the switch to Blu-ray. For a while I was only getting the action movies on Blu-ray, but prices between the two have become more competitive if you are patient enough to wait for the deal. Many times the only thing missing are the extras on the blu-rays. It makes it that I still have to keep the dvd copies because of their extra content. Someday.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2016
VIDEO:

Casper flew onto blu-ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.85:1 encode. The bit-rate was quite high (33.21 Mbps) on a BD-50 disc. The overall transfer is clean, much improved from the previous 1995 DVD. Details are quite sharp. Fleshtones are accurate. The video is quite pleasing. (3.5/5)

AUDIO:

Casper arrives on blu-ray with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio track. I personally loved this soundtrack so much that I even bought the CD soundtrack too. The music was by James Horner (remember his famous Titanic soundtrack). Dialogue is clear and prioritized. The voice of Casper by Malachi Pearson was very well chosen, well suited to the character. There are two songs in the movie: Remember Me This Way, performed by Jordan Hill, and written by David Foster and Linda Thompson. The title song Casper The Friendly Ghost at the end credit was sung by Little Richard. It is a well-balanced soundtrack. (3/5)

MOVIE:

From director Brad Silberling and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment comes a live-action fun house ride filled with laughter, excitement and ghostly surprises. “Ghost therapist” Dr. James Harvey (Bill Pullman) and his daughter Kat (Christini Ricci) arrive at drafty, old Whipstaff Manor. Its greedy owner, Carrigan Crittendon (Cathy Moriarty), has hired Dr. Harvey to exorcise the house’s apparitions: a friendly but lonely young ghost named Casper, who’s just looking for a friend, and his outrageous uncles Stretch, Stinkie and Fatso (The Ghostly Trio). If the plan works, she and Dibs (Eric Idle), her partner-in-slime, can get their hands on the manor’s fabled treasure. The story is simple but very heart-warming. One of my all-time favourite movies. (5/5)

TRIVIA:

1 Casper is the first feature film with a computer-animated title character.
2 Casper's last name is McFadden. This is made clear in the newspaper headline on the floor when Christina Ricci's character reads about Casper's father in the old clippings.
3 The last name of the Christina Ricci's and Bill Pullman's characters is "Harvey". Harvey Comics is the long time publisher of "Casper the Friendly Ghost".
4 The cameos of the people Dr. Harvey turns into while possessed by The Ghostly Trio included Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson, Rodney Dangerfield and Dan Aykroyd, as Dr. Raymond Stantz (from Ghostbusters (1984), who runs out of the house frantically and says, "Who you gonna call? Someone else!"
5 Casper states the 'resurrection liquid' that is in the bottle is 'enough for one ghost'. Did you notice that when Casper and Kat bring Doctor Harvey back to life, there's still liquid in the bottle? That could make Casper come back to life too, but they don't use it.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

When the movie first came out on DVD (then with DTS Digital Sound) in 1995, I loved this movie and watched it many, many times. Now, after 19 years, it has not lost its charm, and the entire movie is still totally enjoyable. Casper is highly recommended for the entire family.
on December 11, 2015
Fun movie for the whole family! Special effects are great, story moves at a good pace, and Casper is a charming little ghost. One thing that really stood out was the amazing score by the late James Horner. Truly magical music, especially towards the end.
on December 26, 2015
Re-watching as an adult: so many jokes I didn't get as a child!

Very cute/sweet movie.

But the girl doesn't even say 'thank you' for the sacrifice Casper makes at the end for her (won't spoil it if you haven't seen). Brat.
on December 12, 2015
Perfect show for a 4-year old Halloween party. Just enough scary, just enough laugh for adults. On the otherhand, kids liked Monster House more. Really not the Casper I remember as a child. But the kids enjoyed it.