5.0 out of 5 stars Verbum!
The Cassell's Latin-English Dictionary has a long history. First published in 1854, it has continued in publication under various editors and revisions to the present text, the work of D.P. Simpson, Head of the Classics Department at Eton during the middle of the twentieth century. This book remains for all but the most advanced scholars in Latin the principle Latin...
Published on July 6, 2004 by FrKurt Messick

3.0 out of 5 stars English-Latin, macrons lacking
Published on May 6, 2009 by E. H. Kramer

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars English-Latin, macrons lacking, May 6, 2009
This review is from: Cassell's Standard Latin Dictionary, Thumb-indexed (Hardcover)
I already owned an Elementary Latin Dictionary when I bought this, and I bought it because I was about to take a course in Latin Prose Composition, so I figured the English-Latin section would be useful. I then discovered that their English-Latin is a fraction of the size of the Latin-English, and for being so small, it's very impractical. I would often have to think up several synonyms for the word I was looking for before I could find a usable entry, and was surprised to find many obscure English words (salubriousness, ophthalmia, higgledy-piggledy--not kidding) that most English-speakers would never think to look up.

As for the Latin-English portion, it seems to be a pretty good reference, with reasonably detailed explanations of each entry. My issue was that my Prose Comp. teacher was requiring us to use macrons in our compositions, and I found that this dictionary was a little ... shall I say higgledy-piggledy about their inclusion. Also, macrons are completely absent from the English-Latin side.

For English-Latin, I found that the genral vocabulary in the back of my textbook for the semester (Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency), while shorter yet than Cassell's, was much more practical. For Latin-English, I still prefer my ELD.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Dictionary, November 5, 2007
This is a very inexpensive and indispensable dictionary for those who have more than a rudimentary understanding of Latin. The binding is very solid so the ugly yellow and orange cover can be tossed. The dictionary lays flat on the table for easy consultation. What I found most useful (so far I have been translating Vergil and Suetonius extensively) is that after the common definition of the word, the dictionary lists the meaning and words that normally accompany it for specific Roman authors.

For example:
largus -a -um, adj. (with compar. and superl.) (1) of things, abundant, plentiful, numerous, copious: cum sol terras larga luce compleverit, Cicero. etc... (and then the way that Vergil, Tacitus, Horace and others use largus -a-um)

The listing of how important authors commonly use the word is very helpful since words can have so many different meanings and this feature often makes comprehension of a difficult passage MUCH easier. Also, the volume has a Roman calender that is useful in figuring out Roman dates. I have not used the English to Latin section since I have not had to do any composition so please consult other reviewers on that aspect. This dictionary will last a lifetime. An amazing buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Winner, September 3, 2005
Colonel (Saint Paul, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
After reviewing several dictionaries of this type, Cassell's is the easiest to use for a Latin beginner. References are clear, and easy to understand. This reference is to be commended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will suffice but not the best, January 20, 2005
In my opinion The New College Latin & English Dictionary is much better than Cassel's. The definitions are solie and the charts in the front are indespensible to the undergraduate or even begining graduate student. Cassel's may have changed since the last time I used it. However, when comparing my New College to a friends Cassel's we were much more impressed with The New College. I've recomended it to the students I have worked with based on those factors and sealed the deal by mentioning that it even costs less (usually around $6!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value for the money, June 22, 2004
By A Customer
I gave the Cassell's Latin Dictionary a rating of 4 stars instead of 5 only because I consider the Oxford Latin Dictionary to be the best Latin-English dictionary available. Since it costs something like $150.00 however, it's not likely to appeal to most students of Latin. Which is why the Cassell's Latin Dictionary is a better choice. It represents a nice compromise between something like the Bantam paperback Latin-English,English-Latin dictionary and OLD. For anyone who is thinking of seriously studying Latin (beyond a 1st year introductory course for example) this is a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of 3 dictionaries including this, October 24, 2012
This comes in 2nd (being very close to 3rd) of the three latin dictionaries i have. Why?
There is a tendency to list the same Latin word as different words depending on how its conjugated. ex: The Masculine, feminine And neuter are three separate words because their meaning slightly varies. Meaning if you are to look up the root of the word, the 3 conjugates are not beside it, but defined as separate words.

This book has this, and has more words, with more detail than the "Oxford Latin Desk Dictionary" thats why Oxford is in 3rd place, because it uses "common" words and not "specific" latin words.

The "New College Latin And English dictionary" gives the root word ALONE, then lists the conjugates and their various definition along in the single word definition. So by the time you look up the first letters of the word, you know all three meanings instead of looking up the specific word itself and its conjugated meaning.

IF YOU PREFER A DICTIONARY TO LOOK UP THE EXACT WORD YOU SEE WITHOUT ITS OTHER CONJUGATED MEANINGS, THIS BOOK IS IN FIRST.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for latin lovers (i mean the language), August 2, 2006
If you have just started studying latin and you want to increase your vocabulary a whole lot then go ahead and choose this wonderful dictionary that promises to be very useful for those purposes. Besides, it counts with expressions and idioms to help you translate more accurately whatever you are trying to decipher. I am a student and I can't leave without this wonderful device of learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Trick and the Price is Right!, October 11, 2011
I've been looking at a number of Latin dictionaries lately and, for me, this is the first that is a) comprehensive enough to get a student through college study b) not insanely expensive c) easy to use and obtain. It isn't the Oxford, but for basic through intermediate study, it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but packed with helpul info, April 25, 2008
A handy size. Good grammer section. Useful pages on armies, currency, measures, dates, etc. Readable type. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Latin dictionary for High School, September 25, 2011
I am in Honors third year Latin, and I use this dictionary on all of my assignments. It has a very extensive breadth of words and useful appendices. I would recommend it to any High School or beginner College Latin student.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Cassell's Standard Latin Dictionary, Thumb-indexed
Cassell's Standard Latin Dictionary, Thumb-indexed by D. P. Simpson (Hardcover - October 1, 1977)
$24.95 $17.39