Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cast Acrylic Sheet, Clear, 12" x 12" x 0.118" Size
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Size: Thickness - 0.118", Size - 12" x 12"|Color: Clear|Change

on November 3, 2012
I ordered two 1/8"-thick pieces, one transparent amber and one translucent red, to make parking-light lenses for an older vehicle I'm restoring. The transparent amber is indeed very transparent, and I'll need to run it through the tumbler to dull it a little. The "translucent" red, on the other hand, simply cannot be rightly described as translucent; it's OPAQUE. It transmits something nearer 5% than 50% of the red light shining through it; it's less translucent than natural acetal or polyethylene (less than Home Depot orange plastic 5-gallon bucket).

Translucency means that it passes most of the color-matched visible light striking its surface, but scatters it so as to obscure details of objects viewed through the material. This material does not fall under that definition. When I finished shaping my new lenses, peeled off the paper, and held one up to my (high-intensity) desk lamp, I couldn't see light through it - only silhouette. I later experimented with an incandescent Mini-Mag flashlight and discovered that this "translucent" red acrylic transmitted almost exactly the same amount of red light as the last joint of my thumb, held tightly over the flashlight lens, did. Therefore, this material has about the same translucency as my thumb.

If you're looking for translucent material, buy the transparent material and abrade its surface. If you're looking for opaque material, buy the "translucent".
44 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
I don't typically leave reviews, but since they requested one twice here it is.
I ordered a .25" thick, 12"x24" sheet. I received it on time and the packaging was good. But when I looked at the sheet I could tell that the dimensions were off so I measured the sheet. It was about .185" thick and it was 11" x 21", not what I ordered. I contacted Amazon and they said they would of sent a free replacement but they didn't fulfill the order so I need to sent it back for a refund. Long story short, I kept it because I was able to make it work for what I needed, but I will not order again. It was pretty obvious that they try to pass off cutoffs that are of smaller dimensions as the standard sizes they list in the product description. So beware if you are ordering a particular size for a project.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2012
I recently puchased a .25" x 12" x 24" sheet of Black Acrylic and love it. My application for this product is for photography, as a base for product shots. The vendor shipped the sheet promptly and it arrived well protected. The paper liner was slightly a nuisance to remove (it is more difficult than the plastic liners that are often found on electronics these days) but it took less than 5 minutes, so no complaints there. The surface is pristine-- highly reflective and flawless. Works perfectly for my purpose (although I probably should have purchased a larger piece).
1111 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2013
These sheets were sold as .125(1/8) sheets. The label on the product itself says .118 inch. While that isn't a major problem, it does mean that if you already have a project in mind for these you are going to have to adjust for it. I did. All in all a OK deal. But if they would of either provided a .125 inch sheet for a .125 inch sheet purchase, or called it a .118 inch sheet in the first place I would have done a 5 star review. This isn't lumber, there is no "finished" dimension. But The simple fact is the product shipped was not as described. I needed it today, so I didn't return it.
on February 16, 2012
I purchased a 1/8" thick clear acrylic panel, 12" x 24" to cover my fish tank and it does a good job. The panel arrived well-packaged and unscratched. Cutting it involves carefully scoring both sides of the panel against a straight edge and then snapping the two pieces to separate along the scored line (instructions not included, but Google is your friend).

The 1/8" thickness is fine for my purpose, but if I buy again I will get a thicker panel so that it is less flexy from the heat output of the heated water and lights.
on July 26, 2012
The acrylic was protected with paper on both sides and was free from any scratches but all but one corner of the sheet were chipped, being I didn't need the full sheet I could get around this when cutting it to fit my project or simply rounding the corners. I think it would be better if they were shipped with some protection on the corners as this type of acrylic can be a little brittle but otherwise it was perfect.
on March 6, 2015
Came broken and missing a huge chunk. I'll have to make it work cause I can't afford to wait for a new one to be shipped. Very upsetting that my aquarium overflow will be smaller than intended.
review image
on February 16, 2012
Exactly as described. Well protected with adhesive paper on both sides. Remember to remove paper if storing sheet for extended period of time, as adhesive will dry out and make it difficult to remove the protective paper.
I use these sheets as a work surface when doing watercolor art. It is so smooth and white that it makes a great palette for mixing colors. I spray water right on it. I've also used it with chalk pastels, which easily clean up with windex and a paper towel. I can also use painter tape to tape down my watercolor paper, and it is still easy to remove days later.

I also use it when photographing finished art or other objects.
review image review image review image review image
on September 30, 2012
The order was filled quickly and shipped quickly. The quality of the acrylic was great as expected and comes with protective paper that comes away clean and easy. I can't think of a single thing that isn't good, except that as you order larger pieces the price increases dramatically. I ordered two sheets of 12X24 and the price was better than I could find anywhere. However I had to order some larger pieces elsewhere because it was much more through this vendor.

Can't say enough good things about the shipping though, these came faster than anything else I ordered at the same time on Amazon. Great product, great service. Thanks for supplying this product, Amazon.
review image