4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to cast iron
Published on December 14, 2005 by rl123

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
This is a good book for some one who has never owned a piece of cast iron cook ware or are considering buying some. It contains some very useful information in it including the selection types styles and brands. It also is very good about explaining the care and feeding of cast iron cook ware and cooking conversion tables. That is helpful.

However the recipes...
Published 22 months ago by protector

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to cast iron, December 14, 2005
rl123 (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a very good introduction to cooking with cast iron. The first couple of chapters give you the basics of using cast iron (seasoning, how and what to buy, caring for and using, etc.). The second part of the book has all the recipes with chapters on meats, poultry, seafood, vegetables, breads/cornbreads, desserts, and non-traditional dishes. There is also a chapter on using an outdoor dutch oven and some recipes to go along with that.

Overall, the recipes are good but do use more bacon fat and butter than I would like. Every recipe is accompanied by its nutritional information so you can decide if you need to substitute some of the ingredients or not. The hushpuppies recipe has slightly more than 50% of its calories come from fat so let the cook beware.

Definitely buy this book if your are new to cast iron cooking. If you are a pro, I might hold off as the book will probably be too introductory.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!!!!, February 17, 2009
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
Being fairly new to this wonderful world of cast iron, I needed all the help I could get, and this book gives you all the help you need. I had been desperate to find ways to clean my old cast iron, and chapt. 3 was right on the money. It was worth buying the book for that chapter alone. I also found out how cast iron is made and also that you really need to search the backround of the company that you are purchasing your cast iron from. Many companies may have names that sound like they are made in the USA, but after checking, they aren't. The problem with this is the contents of the cast iron are not regulated outside the U.S. as stringently as they are here. What I'm trying to say is, you really don't know what you may be eating out of. I am returning an order after finding my item was made in China. It took almost an hour on line to find that info out. It was well hidden. I am now strictly sticking to Lodge Logic. Great products, and a regulated American company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book: Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
My husband (of 42 years) has always wanted a set of cast iron cookware (to experience cooking "the way Grandma fixed it"). I finally bought him a full set with dutch oven, fry pan, and skillet - with lids. With this gift, I included a note that said He was the cast iron chef in our house (He has never had to cook before)!
After purchasing "Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies", which addresses the care and use of cast iron cookware in addition to recipes, and in-door/out-door use suggestions, my husband has become the guru of cast iron... and has prepared many delectible food dishes.
The book has 305 pages of information, extensively covering meats - poultry and fowl - fish and seafood - stews, chowders, and gumbos - vegetables and side dishes - desserts - cornbreads - biscuits and muffins - other breads - sauces, condiments, and marinades - outdoor cooking - game animals - and fun foods.
I haven't read this book myself, but my husband did... and has amazed me, even reminded me - of how good food cooked in cast iron can taste.
This must be an amazing book.Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Info, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm not overly crazy about the lay out of the book, but the amount of info in here is worth the cost of the book alone.

Very few recipes call for processed pre-packaged foods (mostly just a few of the desserts).

Its a good starter book for both the info and the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, January 4, 2008
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
Not many people are used to cooking with cast iron, this is a great learning cookbook. I've used iron skillets for years and want to camp cook using a dutch oven. This cookbook will advance my knowledge without the quesswork. When your camping and hungry mistakes are not fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)

However the recipes both quantity and type are a bit disappointing.

If you are trying to learn about this type of cook ware this is a good book for you but if you are seeking new recipes I think there are better books to be had.

Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies, June 25, 2008
Michael B. Loader (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
Very inclusive. I am recommending this book to all my Scouting friends. The "older" leaders among us have difficulties condensing all of the sources of Cast Iron (particularly Dutch Oven) cooking into a consistently easy reference. This does it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies(me), January 12, 2008
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
Great Christmas gift to myself! Great recipes, care of cast iron cookware, and great tips on cooking with cast iron. Anyone who uses even just a cast iron skillet needs this book. So give it as a gift to someone or yourself, we need more cast-iron cooking it's good for our bodies! OH, buy it from Amazon.com, it's less expensive

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't "cast" judgment on cast-iron until you read this book, April 29, 2011
The Straw Man "J.E. Hoppock" (Aloof October on April's Birthday) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought a cast iron skillet last year and used it a couple of times. However after the second or third time I felt like I was doing something amiss. So before I ruined any more food, ruined my pan, burnt myself or my house I thought I would look for a cookbook. This former notion was solidified when I was given four more cast iron cooking wear for Christmas.

This led me to get this cookbook "Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies". I have many books in the Dummies series and have always found them to be very helpful. This book is no exception. This book really simplifies every aspect of cooking with cast-iron. From the principals of how to season one's pan, to re-season a pan (if needed), how to bring a pan back from the dead (so to speak), cleaning cast iron, history behind cast iron cookware and most importantly how to cook with it, indoors and outdoors.

In addition, there are recipes in this book that range from appetizers, side dishes, main courses and desserts. There are also a few extras recipes thrown in for good measure. Another cool thing about the receipts is all ingredients are provided as well as nutritional contents. So it allows the chef (in this case me) the ability to add, change or follow the recipes to the T.

The only draw back about this book, and this might be nitpicking, is some of the recipes call for a 10' inch skillet. However, if a person doesn't have a 10' inch skillet rather a smaller pan it can throw a person off. Nevertheless, Tracey Barr does a wonderful job of explaining this age old cooking tool. I have already made several dishes after reading this book and I have to say that my technique is getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new cast iron users, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies (Paperback)
This cookbook is GREAT!! I have used it often! It not only has some awesome recipes but it also gives great tips on cast iron care. It helps with everything from original seasoning to how to clean it, to ways to restore old or damaged cast iron. I have used it as a "how to" manual whenever I buy a new piece of cast iron or pick up an old piece that needs restored at an auction or garage sale.

Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies
Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies by Tracy L. Barr (Paperback - October 31, 2003)
$19.99 $14.15