Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook, 2nd Edition: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on February 15, 2014
I am getting reaquainted with my cast iron pans. The versatility of these pans is amazing. I am most appreciative of the thermal properties of the cast iron. This book has a lot of beautiful recipes in it. I have tried a few and so far they have turned out well in all cases. It is an idea book. It encourages some recipe modifications and variations and you can read such things as "Try this recipe with golden beets.". Cooking dinner tonight, I used two cast iron skillets. I used one to cook a dessert recipe directly from this book and I used the other to cook an entre inspired by reading this book. Both efforts were quite successful. The dessert was memorable and I will certainly make it again.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
I like every recipe I've tried in this book so far and am happy with this purchase. The one area I didn't like about it was the flour is listed in cups instead of weighted which would be preferred, with a cups bracketed next to it perhaps for outdoor cooking at camps. Otherwise very nice and pictures are great also.
on April 1, 2014
You'll find some really good recipes here and you don't have to use a cast iron skillet if you don't want to. In the "especially good eats" category are dishes like Joe's Special which is based on the San Francisco classic dish and Eggplant-pepper Tapenande (called zaalouk in Morocco).. If you plan on purchasing a cast iron skillet be sure to read the chapter on what to look for and also how to season the skillet before using it.

Foodies give this cookbook serious consideration. It is worth every cent.

Book provided by publisher.
on November 19, 2013
Perfect cookbook for cast iron cooks, pictures are beautiful and looking forward to trying out the recipes for all meal types.
on April 3, 2014
I was very excited to get this book finally. It had been on my wish list for a while. I have so far just made the banana bread, and that turned out very delicious. I look forward to making more recipes.
on September 21, 2014
Saw this cookbook in a shop in New Orleans French Quarter and I had to have it. Growing up in Louisiana we used lots of cast iron skillets for cooking. I have made a few recipes from the book which turned out very good. I love cookbooks and had to have this one for my collection.
on January 25, 2016
Bought this for my mother for Christmas - she loves it! It is beautifully made and has some great recipes inside. We have already made a few and I know it is something she will treasure for a long, long time.
on January 13, 2015
I am a total foodie. I have a food blog. I've been a recipe tester. I'm all about searching high and low for the perfect recipe. I was very excited when my husband gave me this book for Christmas, but I'm now a little disappointed after making several of the dishes.

We started with the Swedish pancakes on Christmas morning. I admit, my husband made them and did not mix the ingredients in the order specified, which may be where every thing went wrong. They were a runny mess. Neither one of us could get them to hold a circular shape. However, the flavor was decent. We haven't tried it again to see if it was really our error or the book's.

Next was the buttermilk breakfast scones with dried currants (of which I had none, so I used dried blueberries) recipe. I have a pretty good electric mixer, but it could not mix chilled butter into the flour even after adding the buttermilk. The mix was extremely dry. I don't see how anyone's mixer could make this work. I finally mixed the ingredients by hand into a dough ball, worried that this recipe too might go awry. It actually turned out great! I would make these again for sure, but I think I'll try melting the butter next time.

The lamb chops with pomegranate glaze were not good. I thought maybe we just weren't lamb chop fans, so I tried the marinade on some beef later in the week. That wasn't good either. The flavor of this marinade is just not for me, which is unfortunate because pomegranate molasses isn't the easiest thing to acquire and is a bit pricey. Maybe I can figure out something else to do with it.

The skillet-roasted chicken with rosemary, garlic, and maple-balsamic glaze was delicious! The potatoes were amazing! I'm now cooking my potatoes like this with other meat dishes. I'm in love with this idea! I did have to adjust the cooking temperature. 400 degrees is far too high to roast chicken, especially in my convection oven. I turned it down to 375, but it still made it far too black for my taste. I will roast at 350 degrees next time.

Grandpa don's picnic fried chicken was dull. I like the methodology behind it, as the chicken turned out very juicy and moist. Unfortunately, the flavor was lacking. Salt and pepper just doesn't cut it in my house when it comes to frying chicken. I usually have to fuss at my husband to leave some chicken for tomorrow. He didn't even finish one piece using this recipe. I will definitely use their technique next time, but I will use my own seasoning method.

The dungeness crab cakes with tarragon aioli had a nice flavor but needed more binder. I usually put an egg in crab cakes. This recipe did not call for an egg, so we went with the book. They would not hold together very well at all. It's disappointing to spend to much money on crab and then have your cakes fall all apart. We didn't have fresh lemon juice or fresh tarragon on hand for the aioli, and I think that may have been the problem here because the aioli was awful. I would like to try this recipe again adding an egg to the cakes and making sure I have fresh (not dried or bottled) ingredients for the aioli.

The roasted root vegetables were tragic. Truly tragic. I can eat most veggie dishes with a smile on my face, even if they aren't the greatest. This recipe made me feel like a child holding her nose so she can swallow the icky veggies her mom is making her eat for dinner. It could be good if it had different seasoning. Orange does NOT work for this dish. I don't know that I've ever had a veggie dish this bad. It actually made me angry that it was existing in my kitchen. I know...it sounds childish. But like I said, it made me feel like a little girl holding her nose to get those veggies down. I didn't even want to feed it to my chickens.

The winter squash with cranberries, hazelnuts, and fried sage was AMAZING! We've made it twice so far. The second time I reduced the cooking time by 10 minutes and reduced the dried cranberries and toasted hazelnuts to 1/4 C each, which made the dish absolutely perfect for us. This will be in our regular rotation.

The roasted carrots and fennel with fresh dill was okay. I forgot to put the dill in. It was one of those days. I probably won't make it again even though I didn't do it exactly right. Somehow I don't think the dill is going to add any kind of wow factor.

The last thing I've made so far is the apple cake with caramel frosting and chopped pecans. It was pretty good. I would make it again. I did add 1/4 Cup of sour cream to it before baking because the recipe looked so dry. It was barely holding together, which was making me nervous. I'm curious to try it now without the sour cream. I also reduced the sugar in the icing to 1 Cup. I don't like things to be overly sweet. I will probably skip the icing all together next time. My neighbor felt the same, that it would be better without the icing.

Overall it's a decent cookbook and I'm glad my husband got it for me. It has inspired me to use my cast iron skillet a lot more, and food truly cooks beautifully in it. I like that there are tips for caring for your cast iron and some science as to why cast iron is superior to cook in; it produces a dry, even heat.

I do, however, feel like there are either some typos or some recipes that weren't really tested before being added to the book. There are too many imperfections for me to believe it's just a matter of taste. To better familiarize you with my taste, I highly recommend Molly Wizenburg's "A Homemade Life," which reads like a journal with some absolutely brilliant recipes in between her life stories. Her cookbook has nothing to do with cast iron, but everything to do with deliciousness. I can't wait to start applying some of her recipes to my cast iron skillet.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2015
I bought one for myself and one for a friend. I had to refurbish a dutch oven someone gave me and I followed the great instructions in the book. The cover was what caught my eye and the recipes are keeping me in the book.
on April 16, 2016
I had no idea I could cook so many different foods in cast iron. I'm all over these recipes. On a separate issue I love that the resources link right to the web page. A cool feature on my Amazon fire