5.0 out of 5 stars Castleadoration!
Way back in the day, I watched Bruce Willis in Moonlighting and fell in love with the kind of comedy and relationship that now sizzles and pops between Detective Kate Beckett and novelist Richard Castle.

Beckett and Castle are two beautiful people with a few scars and flaws that makes them believably human. (Like the play on names, too.)

Castle's...
Published on March 5, 2012 by Dawn

3.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing seaon yet
Published on June 8, 2012 by SBentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Castleadoration!, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Castle: Season 4 (DVD)

Castle's devotion to his daughter and his relationship with his quirky actress mother add dimension and depth and more ways to have fun in this television series. Kate's strong, by-the-book behavior is the perfect foil for Richard Castle's 12-year-old boyish ways (even though he is WAY past that age and has a daughter older than that.) He has a Peter Pan syndrome that alternates with responsible father, man-about-town, famous writer, and loving son, not to mention a strong and worthy civilian partner for homocide detective -- Kate who has her own closet full of secrets and designer clothing.

I came to this series late, but fell hard and fast for this unorthodox crime fighting duo. Just watched an episode from season 4 and can't wait to get my hands on the DVD. Send it Amazon! Send it soon!

I have seasons 1-3 and the episodes are definitely re-watchable. Quality production all the way. Great ensemble cast. Can't think of anything that I can find fault with. The humor is perfect, the chemistry just steamy enough and the sweet family relationships are just quirky enough to add spice. The 'family' at the precinct add balance and more pleasure.

What can I say, this is one television series that has it all! Romance, suspense, action, adventure,and family! And the dialogue is smart and original. The plot twists fresh and often totally unexpected. A wonderful diversion from the cares of the world with some mystery and mayhem and for us writer types -- a wonderful subplot that explores book writing and funnels into our dreams of someday walking the red carpet for our book signings.

5.0 out of 5 stars great humanity in a suspense drama/comedy, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Castle: Season 4 (DVD)
What is unique about Castle is the humanity of the characters. The relationships among all the characters and especially Castle and his daughter and mother are well drawn and complex. Castle and Beckett of course are wonderfully paired, very seductive. It is refreshing to watch a show that becomes familiar to you in a warm way, almost as if you were part of the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION., May 8, 2012
My favorite Castle episode so far! The acting was so fantastic (um... NATHAN FILLION in the scene in Beckett's apartment...brought me to tears)and the ending... SO PERFECT. A MUST-SEE. My friends and i have the ENTIRE last scene memorized and are able to quote it word for word. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 5. September... please hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspired casting, April 18, 2012
Casting Adam Baldwin as Ethan Slaughter was inspired,not to mention reuniting Nathan Fillion with Baldwin(Firefly). These two actors play off of each other in a way that is seldom seen on the big or small screen.Adam Balwin is an underrated actor who deserves his own show.At the very least the Slaughter character should be brought back in a recurring role.So it was a hoot to watch these two do their interaction again!The only thing missing was an inside joke.Like them looking at each other,upon meeting,in a familiar manner,saying;'Don't I know you?'All in all,Headhunters was one of the best episodes yet.And that is saying something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Castle Rocks!, October 8, 2011
Denise A. (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
If you like comedies and enjoy crime dramas, you'll love Castle!

In season 4, Rick Castle and Detective Beckett are back to kickin' butts and takin' names! Nathan Fillion just nails it as Rick Castle, a smooth-talking, best-selling murder mystery writer who has negotiated a deal with NYC's mayor to "shadow" Detective Kate Beckett, who is portrayed by the lovely and talented Stana Katic. Molly Quinn reprises her role as Castle's adorable, ambitious daughter, Alexis. She is a breath of fresh air and steals every scene she's in. Susan Sullivan is perfect as Castle's live-in mother, a theater actress of yore with the wisdom of many years of experience.

And then there's the whole gang at the precinct... Loads of personality!

Let's just say... it's my favorite hour of TV every week! A little heart + a little humor + a dash of mystery = a whole lotta fun! A different network coined the phrase, but this really IS "Must-See TV"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing seaon yet, June 8, 2012
This review is from: Castle: Season 4 (DVD)
Let me start off by saying I love Castle. Love, love, love it. Pink, puffy-heart love it even. I have watched from day 1 and have nearly worn out my DVD's of seasons 1-3. Season 4 though was such a let down. There were so few episodes that showed any growth in the characters and all the interruptions and secrets and misunderstanding (oh, my!) were just annoying. One conversation between Castle and Beckett could have cleared up everything and allowed the viewers a season a season of fun Castle-y goodness. Instead we got mostly sad, down trodden, puppy dog eyed Castle, with none of the zip of the first 3 seasons.
There can still be serious, angsty episodes (see seasons 1-3), but with sad Castle, they were too heavy. Even the funny episodes were blah for the most part. Castle was too reserved for my tastes and the entire season was more about Beckett than Castle. If they wanted a Beckett-centric show they should have called it Beckett and not Castle.

This isn't to say there weren't some good episodes:
Rise
An Embarrassment of Bitches
Once Upon a Crime
Dance with Death
47 Seconds
Headhunters (guest starring Adam Baldwin from Firefly)
Undead Again
Always

That's 15 out of 23 episodes and some of those were borderline, IMO. For me the only real stand outs from the list above are Cops and Robbers, 47 seconds, Headhunters and the absolutely delicious Always. The writers seemed to look for any and every possible thing to throw in Castle and Beckett's way to keep them from talking out their issues and honestly it got tiresome. For every step they took forward, they took 5 or 6 steps backward. Ugh. Lack of continuity was another issue this season. Don't the writers even watch their own show?
While I still love the show overall, I was sorely disappointed in season 4 and I'm going to try really, really hard to forget that Heartbreak Hotel was every made. I will own this season, if for no other reason than to watch Always 857,000 times, but I'm still disappointed.
I have cautiously high hopes for season 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beckett and Castle, sitting on a tree... not doing jack!!, May 14, 2012
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Castle: Season 4 (DVD)
NYPD Homicide Detective Kate Beckett is damaged goods. She carries more baggage than Samsonite. It's part and parcel of why she fascinates us. The brutal murder of her mother had long ago determined the trajectory of her life. And, over the years, that murder had also impacted CASTLE's overarching narrative thrust. I won't lie, Season 4's episode finale does address that long-running theme, sort of, but it's not like Beckett achieves any real traction with regards to resolving this. Instead, as we tune in, we end up settling for the show's other draws. Like, say, the consistently droll Ryan-Esposito bromance. The sweet father-daughter interactions between Castle and Alexis. The mystery-of-the-week as viewed thru the prism of Castle's outside-the-box perspective. Then there are Castle's off-the-wall remarks and Beckett's bemused reactions. And, of course, that simmer between them (or as the hardcore crowds have annoyingly anointed them: "Caskett"). Fans of that last bit should have something to talk about in this season.

I wonder if them CASTLE showrunners took a peek over at what's gone down in BONES and so were galvanized into stepping their game up.

In tossing in my two cents regarding prior seasons, I'd praised the hell out of the cast and their chemistry and the tone of the show. So, today, I'll just say that the acting is still aces and I still dig the (mostly) light tone. If there's one distressing element in Season 4, it's that several episodes got too heavyhanded with the soap opera aspect, what with Castle's having found out that Beckett had feigned unconsciousness when Castle told her he loved her back when she got all shot up by that sniper. I got a little fed up with Castle's moping. He seems to not have put enough weight on that Beckett was going thru her own sh-- at the time. So, yeah, the romantic thread became a bit too Mexican telenovela for me. But she's keeping a secret, and he's keeping a massive secret. Because, at this stage, Rick Castle is closer to the truth behind the conspiracy than Beckett is.

There's a shift in group dynamics with the advent of the tough-as-nails Captain Victoria "Iron" Gates as the new head of Precinct 12. She takes an instant dislike to Castle, which is neat for ongoing character conflict. You'd think her stance against him would soften as the season went on... but nuh-uh. Meanwhile, Alexis begins interning with Lanie, the police medical examiner, except that this may be too close for comfort for her concerned dad. There's also some guff about Alexis agonizing over which college to attend. Another plot thread amusingly tracks Ryan's impending nuptials. A slice of trivia: In a very cool life-imitates-art moment, Seamus Dever - who plays Detective Ryan - married his real-life wife, Juliana, again, on camera (Juliana plays Ryan's fiancee on the show).

It's another fine season, and full of episodes that mostly fall in the high watchability bracket. But I have my favorites:

- "Heroes & Villains" - Beckett and Castle investigate an alley murder in which the perpetrator may be the comic book superhero, Lone Vengeance. Except that there are several suspects running around wearing the Lone Vengeance costume. Plenty of nods to us comic book geeks.

- "Kick the Ballistics" - This ep focuses on Detective Ryan as his old service weapon - the one that was taken by the serial killer, 3XK, in last season - resurfaces in a homicide.

- "Demons" - It's Halloween, as Beckett and Castle look into the slaying of a ghost hunter in a haunted house, with Castle theorizing that dark supernatural forces may be at play. But Beckett, being Beckett, scoffs at Castle's notion of a murderous ghost (or, as Castle calls it, "Apparition American"). Heh.

- "Cops and Robbers" - Castle and his mom are in a bank that gets taken over by four bank robbers dressed up in doctor's scrubs. This pretzely (because it's twisty) episode starts out as a hostage-taking bank heist, but it spins off into something else altogether.

- "Kill Shot" - As a world-class sniper with a mad-on stalks New York, a traumatized Beckett tries to overcome her post-traumatic stress disorder. Stana Katic turns in a stunning, heartbreaking performance. And for fans of Javi Esposito, your boy falls into the spotlight.

- "Cuffed" - As if Beckett and Castle being cuffed together and locked in a room isn't promising enough, there's also a killer tiger on the rampage. Time to sit back and soak in the excellent banter and rampant sexual innuendo.

- "The Blue Butterfly" - This is the awesomely awesome 1940s film noir episode. 'Nuff said (except that it's awesome).

- "Pandora" & "Linchpin" - Okay, the cliffhanger ending to "Pandora" is a bit ridiculous, but I still like these two eps for digging into Castle's backstory. In this two-parter, Castle and Beckett become embroiled in a deadly international conspiracy and also get pretty much pushed around by the CIA. The gorgeous-as-ever Jennifer Beals guest-stars as CIA operative Sophia Conrad, with whom Castle shares a heated past (Castle and Sophia, sitting on a tree...). Hey, is that Beckett getting all jealous?

- "Headhunters" - A disillusioned Castle decides to partner up with the unhinged, rule-breaking Sgt. Slaughter (Adam Baldwin) on a severed heads case.

- "Undead Again" - Zombie episode. There's really nothing more to say.

- "Always" - In this taut, game-changing season finale, are we witnessing the end of a steadfast bromance? Also, the return of Beckett's sniper causes a serious rift between Beckett and Castle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beckett Came Through, May 22, 2012
This show gave me butterflies. I love Castle and his vulnerability. Esposito is the hottest! Ryan showed real friendship - sometimes you have to do the hard thing for those you care about. Beckett get's the best lead ever in the end! When is the next show - I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, heart-wrenching Finale, May 10, 2012
Whoa, now that's what I call a finale. Castle finales have always been fantastic and the writers always crank up the dial ten-fold in these times and "Always" was no exception. Some major things happen here and I won't spoil it for you. The acting is flawless, the story, clearly well-handled, is amazingly well-told and scripted, and the action scenes, while somewhat diminished by the other major plot movements, are still great to watch.

Honestly, one of the best, if not the best, episodes of castle to date. Watch it!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Most Pivotal Episode in the "Castle" Story Arc, September 28, 2011
This episode just flat-out left my husband and I speechless. The emotional depths of the characters exposed in this normally lighthearted series was an endearing revelation. We were devoted fans before this long-awaited episode aired, now we're more than fans. We feel like we're part of Castle's family. HIGHLY recommended! Would that I could give it more than a puny 5 stars...