Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 25-Pound|Change

on August 17, 2011
I've always been interested in nutrition, and spent a LOT of time researching different dog foods. It REALLY bothers me that there's no longer an element of "common-sense" with how people view dog foods. Scraps and treats do wonders for a lot of (less sensitive) dogs, and dogs on unarguably bad foods can be very healthy dogs if they have other sources of nutrition. So, take all of this with a grain of salt - some foods, good or bad, will work and not work for some dogs. Better foods do work best for most dogs, but A LOT of these foods are too rich for certain dogs.

My now 2.5 year old standard poodle was eating Iams puppy for the first 4 months of his life. He had mushy, grainy, light colored poop (like picking it up with a pooper scooper leaves behind a mess), occasional vomiting/diarrhea and was on the thin side. I gradually switched him to:

Wellness
Core
Innova
Blue buffalo

Back to Iams in between for a couple of weeks, once it was obvious the food wasn't working for him. Some of the above resulted in horrible diarrhea. ALL were very smelly once they went through him. Are they still good foods in my opinion? Yes, but not for everyone! After months I'd rather forget, Castor and Pollux was honestly one of the best discoveries of my life! I HIGHLY recommend it to people with dogs sensitive to very rich / high protein foods, as it seems to be less so. My friends/family with dogs are jealous that my dog is "the best pooper ever" - firm, dark, moist poop with little odor. And that is way too many adjectives to describe poop. Ew.
on January 3, 2012
Sadly, in 2009 I was feeding my dogs Beneful from Walmart. Two of our min pin dogs lost their hair and one died from having (0) blood pressure, which never knew was even possible as we rushed him to the emergency dog hospital. One of the 2 others now has been diagnosed with cancer and is only about 4 years old. At the time, I gave the dog food away then started cooking for them myself for a while which is a real pain.

I then started doing research from the site dogfoodadvisor.com and found Orijen's 6 fish from Canada rated 5 stars and went with that for about 1 year and one of our dogs, a 3 year old started growing her hair back. We liked the Orijen's and the health benefits but my dog's didn't. They would sniff it and walk away. The other down side was that in the town in which I live has to ship often resulting in 10 days or so to get it.

So I started looking around at PetCo one day because I ran out, looking carefully at the ingredients of various foods and found myself head wagging at corporate marketing compared to ingredients of most dog foods. Anyways, I found this ugly brown bag with the typo - Organix. I continued looking carefully at others still comparing then came back to the ugly brown bag of Kibble called Organix, picked it up and bought the 15lb bag.

First thing I did was went to the dogfoodadvisor site to check reviews and it wasn't listed and then became worried. I could only count on the Orgainix's labeling of being honest and accurate - right.

What were the ingredients?

Ingredients: Organic chicken, chicken meal, organic brown rice, organic peas, organic millet, organic oats, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), salmon meal, natural chicken flavor, organic quinoa, dried egg product, organic flaxseed, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), organic carrots, organic apples, organic broccoli, organic pumpkin, organic pears, salt, choline chloride, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, l-ascorbyl-2 polyphosphate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), chondroitin sulfate, yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, dried Bacillus subtilis, fermentation solubles, rosemary extract.

I've now went through about 60lbs of the regular dry kibble with my 4 min-pins and guess what! My dog who is now about 12 years old that had lost her hair from Beneful has about 95% of her hair grown back :). One of our girls had puppies about 3 months ago and we fed them the same as adults > Birth> (youtu.be/FjE3akdY0i8). We just heated up a little water and allowed the kibble to absorb and fed the puppies 3 times a day.

Our Min Pins get fed twice a day, only 1/4 cup! They love the dog food Orgainix, they are happy, have clear eyes and a shiny THICK coat. A photo of Baby and her puppy is posted.

Also, the food is now listed as 5 STARS at the dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/castor-and-pollux-organix-dog-food-dry/

If you look at the way most production dog food is made you would never feed it to an animal. Corporate greed is what it is and lets just hope Castor and Pollux from Organix keep their integrity by not succumbing to the slice & cut tactics of greed and continuing their current pursuit.

BTW, It's made in the USA!
review image
1313 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2015
Changed - now a PURINA product!
Price WAY UP and quality WAY DOWN, and went from 30 lb to 25 lb to boot!.
NOT ORGANIC!!! (Even though it contains some hyped organic ingredients).
2nd ingredient is "poultry meal". Sounds innocuous, but read all about it here:
Other than making my own food for Sam (Patterdale terrier), I'm going to try Wellness Core.
I just called their company number and was told that no by-products go into their "meals",
no feet, beaks, etc. just chicken/turkey meat -
and was actually told that the chicken meal was chicken breast!
(I'm not sure whether I believe that, though).
But a family company has to be better than a public company
that is more beholden to the stockholder profits than the health of the dogs.
on June 25, 2011
C&P Organix is a great line of dog food. I'm not sure how much I agree with some of the other reviews. For instance, DogFoodAnalysis.com is a FOR PROFIT website - doesn't exactly qualify as non-bias. Also, the reviewer who said their dog was 'itching' - don't know what that was about. People are constantly commenting on Crixus' fur and how shiny and beautiful it is - I've fed him Organix since he was 9 weeks old and I would never change to another brand. Unless a dog is in his/her 'golden years' or has a health condition, there really is no need to beef up on the GC&MSM.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on 'the best dog food'. I'm just saying, if you don't mind paying a little extra, (significantly less than Orijen or Evo), and you're looking for a quality food - C&P Organix is great. Their treats and wet food are high quality as well.

Another important point - the dog food is made in the U.S.A.

If you do decide to purchase it, I highly recommend subscribing through Amazon. Best price and delivered to your door - no hassles. The only local store I've found that carries this line is Petco. Unfortunately, Crixus' favorite feed store doesn't carry it - but the owner was very impressed with it and is looking into purchasing it. You won't ever find this line in a grocery store. That says a lot.

Good luck!
on October 20, 2015
I am extremely unhappy to learn Nestle Purina bought this brand. My dogs don't seem to be doing as well on it as they use to, and one has Addison's, so she needs a good quality dog food. I was shopping today for a new brand when I came across this info about them selling out, so now it all makes sense. Also, I don't like that salt is higher on the ingredients list than I think it should be. It is well ahead of several fruits and veggies. I give my dog meds to balance the salt and potassium, so salt should be near the end of the ingredient list in my opinion. I have worked hard to avoid Purina and Nestle, so this is disturbing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 20, 2016
Something is wrong here, I have been feeding all 4 of my dogs this food no problem, had about 2 pounds left in bag, they would not eat it, and got loose stools and throwing up, so bought 2 new bags of food Opened March 19 2016.., open new bag, they won't eat this one either, I tried adding cooked chicken and rice Organic to eat, they are picking out the dog food. So I came on amazon,can't return any food, even unopened bag, so I am guessing this stuff is either being made elsewere or WHAT. I am pissed to say the least its a lot of money to loose, heading to petsmart to buy wellness core (what I used to use) Please if anyone else is having issues please post this, I lost a poodle to a dog treat a year ago, So I am very very careful and picky
on March 6, 2013
My wife has a bad habit of adding different things to our dog's bowl to get him to finish it. Since we gave him Organix, he eats all of his food without the added "human" food he started demanding. He seems to like this food better than all others. This is rated a 5 star food by a pet food rating organization, so we know he is getting a balanced amount of protien, fat, and nutrients. Much better than the trash you buy in most stores that are nothing more than cereal. That he likes it makes it worth it.
on April 1, 2013
Over the course of the years we have evolved in our dog food purchasing. Our first puppy ate Pedigree puppy food. When he got older we switched to Purina One. Then we learned more about ingredients and switched to Purina Pro Plan.
As our dog grew, we kept learning. We learned that corn wasn't so good, and that meat needed to be a primary ingredient. This led us to Blue Buffalo, which we fed for years.

Last year we had a friend over who fed their dog Organix. Surely it must be pricey, I thought. I thought wrong. It is the same price as the Blue Buffalo, but now the ingredients are organic.

Whenever we switch dog food, we will try to switch slowly by mixing. With the Blue Buffalo, he picked out the Blue and left the Pro Plan behind. That told us Blue was his choice and that there was no point in mixing. He refused the Pro Plan from then on. When we put the Organix in the bowl with the Blue, he snubbed the Blue. We tried giving him just Blue the next day, to use up the rest. He refused to eat for two days. We finally caved and ended up giving the Blue to a friend.

With GMO's and toxins everywhere, my family made the choice to switch to organic and locally produced food for ourselves. We try to make sure the fuel that keeps us moving is the absolute best choice. That is why we feed Organix. This is the best choice for my dog.

I will note, he does eat meaty bones and raw meats, and I give him lots of veggies. He eats around half kibble and half BARF. His teeth are clean, his weight is perfect and he is as healthy a dachshund as I have ever seen. My veterinarian has commented on his sheen and vigor for his age.
on June 7, 2013
I did a bunch of research before settling on this food. The only complaint is the price. I subscribe and save and 95% of the time they all seem fine, but i did get one that had what appeared to be a mix of stale and fresh food as well as a lot of crumbs. But, other than that one odd bag out of probably 20, its been a good consistent product.

Update 8/2014:
Switching brands, i would still consider this a good dogfood, but the owners got bought by Merrick Pet Care and i think they quality has come down a notch. Not a bad choice, but not as great as it once was. Reducing to 4/5 stars. I not longer have our 'big' dog, so i'll probably switch to Fromm or Orijen, a bit more expensive but a bit better quality food.

Apparently, the one thing i learned is that the little companies tend to spike up in popularity due to high quality and then later merge or get acquired by larger ones, who may reduce the quality over time in search of more profits and leveraging the brand name the smaller company built.
on August 23, 2013
I've been feeding this to my lhasa apso (now 10 years old) for more than five years now. I started her on organic food because of ongoing skin conditions she had when I adopted her, as well as extra weight, and almost immediately the skin issues disappeared, her coat is shiny, and nobody believes that she is as old as she is. Not cheap, but worth the price, and it was the first certified organic dogfood.