Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing

on September 30, 2012
Like many reviewing here I love Hagberg and his McG novels. But for the life of me this one had me stumped. I kept waiting...hoping...that something important would develop. This can't just be about buried treasure?? But to my surprise the plot line got even thinner with all that "crossing the border" nonsense. Much ado about nothing.

It seems to me that if the US government wanted to rebuild relations after Fidel's death, they would have just contacted his bro. Nothing to lose. Instead they have McG making policy through some hair-brained convoluted approach?

And I could care less about his freaking daughter. No, wait. I could care even less about a sequel to this book. Don't waste your time Mr Hagberg as I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I won't spend a dime for a followup. If you've run out of McG plots then think out of your box and come up with something more impactful.

Thanks so much for all the great books that preceded this stinker. I have faith that you'll right the ship!
VINE VOICEon August 20, 2012
Indiana Jones meet Kirk McGarvey.
Stink-bomb in the house! 2 stars in respect to prior David Hagberg thrillers. Mr. Hagberg's Castro's Daughter had an interesting initial plot but very weak story execution. The premise of Mr. Hagberg's new book was the fabled lost treasure of the "Seven Cities of Cibola" and how it would bring redemption and salvation to the oppressed peoples of Cuba. Quite a stretch, and the as the story unfolded Mr. Hagberg could never close the literary deal. Finally falling apart completely towards the end. Sadly, super hero Kirk McGarvey was caught up in this implausible web of bad writing to suffer the consequences to his sterling character. This is not the kind of story or tight writing I have grown to expect from David Hagberg. To make matters worse the book ends on the blatant hint that there is more to come in the search for the lost Spanish gold. The story introduces Colonel Maria Leon, Fidel Castro's illegitimate daughter, as a key character and possible future love interest of McGarvey's. This too falls flat as the two have diametrically different personalities in all respects. Alas Kirk is now a lonely widower, but to think he would find a love interest in Fidel Castro's illegitimate daughter stretches the credulity of a rational mind. Enough of this silliness Mr. Hagberg, find a more worthy love interest for Kirk the Superb.
Character development was weak. Several new McGarvey series characters but not much there, there. I like Kirk McGarvey but it might be time for Mr. Hagberg to allow Kirk to retire permanently to his Greek island lighthouse.
No gratuitous sex, language, or violence. Not much realistic story either.
Cannot recommend this tedious, over-the-top, implausible story. Not to be redundant, but there is just not much there, there in Castro's Daughter. It will be very interesting to see where Mr. Hagberg goes next. I do enjoy his writing, but this bomb blew up in my face!! Please Mr. Hagberg just a wee bit more realism!
on August 5, 2012
I've read all of Hagberg's books and it looks like he's run his course with Kirk McGarvey. The plot was so weak and far fetched I had trouble finishing the book. Others have gone into details so I won't waste time rehashing the plot. Avoid this book.
on October 28, 2012
There was a time when Hagberg wrote some of the best books around. The good guys were good. the bad guys (terrorist types were bad). Now, the good guys largely are boring and the bad guys are evn more so. bring back the Arab terrorists. Who cares if Castro had a daughter who wants to find gold? Who cares if McGarvey finds it? this book is painfully dull. after three stinkers in a row, I am done with Hagberg.
on July 14, 2013
A timely story based on the death of Castro and it's aftermath of treachery. McGarvey fits right in and provides the reader with a real look at the mess in Cuba...which if ultimately solved could be a big boon to this Country and the USA. Hagberg leaves the door wide open for more of Castro's daughter in a subsequebt book that should be just as great!
on August 21, 2013
I am a dyed-in-the-wool James Rollins fan and, having read all of his books, I decided to look for another author who could write thrillers that kept me interested the whole way through. This book was one of them. I'm looking forward to reading more of David Hagberg's (McGarvey) books.
on March 17, 2013
I write thrillers so I read a lot of them. I've liked David Hagberg's writing for a long time. He is competent and imaginative as a writer. Castro's Daughter is no exception. There is wonderful descriptive material about Havana and Cuban life from page one. You feel like you're there.

We find out early in Hagberg's story about Castro's illegitimate daughter's existence and the machinations that have kept this fact from the public. That secrecy alows others in the Castro government to help or hinder her efforts to do as her father asked on his death bed. The fact that she is the Director of Operations for Cuba's foreign secret police brings credibility to her efforts. Her father has given her a mission.

Enter Kirk McGarvey and Otto Rencke, the techno-geek. The plot becomes clear, the players have been defined -and the game is on. Good job, Hagberg.

Robert Cook, [...]
on February 5, 2013
I put off reading this for a while because of the negative reviews. I can't understand what they didn't see. To me, it was a great novel, that was just as good as David Hagberg's previous novels. He is one of my favorite authors so I decided to buy the book against the thoughts of some of the negative review writers. I am glad I did. This was a great book. It was hard to imagine this actually happening (I don't want to give away details) but it kept me interested from start to finish. Another great read from David Hagberg. If you liked his previous novels, don't hesitate to buy this one.
on September 1, 2012
WOW!! I really enjoyed this book. I love all David Hagberg's books because I know he writes from personal experiences and even though it is fiction, most of it is today's reality. I grew up with the whole Castro scare and this book brought back many memories, most of them bad. It was very interesting for me to read about the current situations in Cuba and the impact the regime had/has on its people. I highly recommend this book to everyone who likes action, drama, political chaos and just plain reading entertainment. I could not put it down, one of those that you say to yourself OK just one more chapter and then I am going to close it! NOT!!
on September 6, 2012
Everybody is running all over the place to either save Cuba, find gold, or cause the US and Cuba to resume relations. The protagonist is overdone. I doubt that a POTUS would really put up with his crap. Not really sure how the heroine avoided death...too much information missing. The ending left too much unresolved. This could have been a great one.