4.0 out of 5 stars Works great had it for over 10 years

Published on August 1, 2010 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars great door, flimsy locks, August 1, 2010
Amber (Baton Rouge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
we've had this cat door installed on the back door of our house for about a year now, to allow our cats access to our sun porch even when the back door is closed. we chose this particular cat door for a couple of reasons. one was that some of our cats are pretty big, so we needed a bigger-than-average cat door. the other was that the locking mechanism looked better than on other cat doors. the other doors we looked at had a single point at which the door would be held into a locked position, and i imagined that our large cats would easily muscle past such a flimsy lock if we ever needed to use it. you can't really see in the picture, but on this particular cat door, there are 2 separate locking points, one at each side of the bottom of the door, so there's less give when both are locked.

another reviewer stated that the spring on the door is strong, and i also find this to be the case. the door snaps firmly shut, and i imagine that for some cats, getting it to open might be a real challenge. none of our cats, ranging from 10 lbs to 16 lbs and all young and healthy, have any probelms with it, though.

though we've only had it for a year, this door has stood up to an impressive amount of wear-and-tear. most of our cats are large, energetic, and playful, and it's not uncommon for them to barrel forcefully through the cat door when chasing one another around the house, running full-speed. the door itself has stood up to the abuse beautifully. the locking mechanisms are a different story. we never have actually used the locking mechanisms, yet sometimes we find that one or both of the locking points has switched into the "inside only" position. rather than a dial like on some other cat doors, the locks on this particular model slide back and forth on the bottom of the frame opening. in running in and out, the cats sometimes manage to slide the locks themselves. in our case, this hasn't been an especially big deal. since we never lock the cat door anyway, we've used tape and matchsticks to fix the locks to where they can't be bumped out of position. but if you actually intend to use the locking mechanisms...well, in my experience, these locking mechanisms aren't especially reliable. perhaps if your cats are more gentle and less active the locks might not slide around unintentionally, but i can't really say for sure. besides that, on one occasion, when a lock had inadvertently been switched into the "inside only" position, i watched one of our cats actually manage to pull the door open. he did this by sinking his claws into the seal around the edges of the flap and pulling inward rather than pushing. again, your cat might not figure this trick out like mine did, but ultimately, there's not much point in setting the lock to "inside only" or "outside only" if the cat can simply pull the door open instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great had it for over 10 years, January 14, 2010
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
I have had this cat door for years It works great. I am buying a replacement because a dog forced his way in and broke the locks and the seals are worn out. I can find replacement flaps but not the locks. I am hoping that the new one is as good as the old one. Unlike the last comment my cats love the door and have no other problems with it. Also it does not have any spring? It uses a magnet glued to the bottom that keeps the door shut. When in place it increases the force the cat has to use to open it. Untrained cats may have problems so suggest removing the magnet till they are used to the door.

4.0 out of 5 stars cat mate large cat 4way locking door is perfect for a fat cat, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
The kinds of cat doors they sell at the pet stores in town are only listed as effective for animals up to 15 pounds. Our tomcat kitty is 12lbs and growing and he barely was able to squeeze through the frame of one of those. The next size up is for animals up to 40 pounds, which would allow all sorts of other critters (raccoons, foxes, the neighbors dog) to gain entry. This product is safely large enough for any cat, but too small for most REAL dogs. It is nice that it can be completely locked, completely open, or locked one way. If one kitty is in for dinner and the other hasnt come home yet, you can make it entry only so when the cats come home, they cannot go back out to prowl. It is nice that the flap is transparent. Our cats love looking out the window into the dark when they are locked in. The only thing keeping it from getting a 5 star is that the lock clasps feel like they are made out of cheap plastic. When it is below zero, they are hard to move into place and i fear that they might break prematurely, which could be a headache. Otherwise, this product exceeded expectations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Raccoon Mate, July 15, 2012
David Orth (Marengo, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
The only problem I've had with this door is the small locks. Otherwise cleverly designed & quite strong for their size, they are indeed tiny. Before the cats learned to go though the unlocked door, a raccoon forced its way through our fully locked door at 3AM. It did not break the locks, but was able to deflect the door enough that it popped out of the locks. I have to give the door one star, because on top of this, customer service was completely dismissive of the problem, telling me to "get a raccoon-proof door if I've got raccoon problems". I understand that the unlocked door can't be raccoon proof, but do I have to ask that a door have a raccoon-proof locked position? Except for a small area in the Southwest, raccoons range from the southern half of Canada to the northern half of Mexico. If a door is locked, it should keep the local wildlife outside. I think I've resolved the problem by constructing my own raccoon-proof door over the Cat Mate. I can close my door at night (when the raccoons are active). During the day I raise my door and the cats can go in and out of the Cat Mate door which I believe will keep the bugs out in the Summer and the wind out in the Winter. I hate to be a harsh critic of an otherwise nicely thought out pet door. If nobody else has reported a raccoon issue with this door, then perhaps it is indeed just my own personal raccoon issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you're looking for the lockable function..., June 12, 2013
M. Chittenden (Norton Shores, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
I bought this to separate our cat from our recently adopted dog while they get to know each other and it worked well for a little while.... until my cat figured out that he can break through the locking mechanisms if he tries hard enough. All he has to do is push hard enough and he's out!

If you're not interested in the locking part, this door will be fine for you but you can get non-locking ones for cheaper. This was easy to install, even on our hollow-core door. But I still don't recommend for the reasons in the first paragraph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cat door, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
This cat door is great for even my larger cat. It was very easy to install and looks nice. It is a little noisy when closing after cats go through but not too bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if I should say I love this door, September 20, 2014
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
Not sure if I should say I love this door, but my cat does. During the summer I was willing to crack open the garage doors so my "garage cat" could come and go as he pleased. However winter is coming and varmints other than the cat were coming and going, so I researched my options and this cat door filled the bill. I was concerned that my insulated metal doors were too thick for a satisfactory installation, but as it turns out this unit fits perfectly. And. being able to separately control entry and exit is a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Product and Fabulous Service, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
This is a great cat door. I needed a door that would accommodate a large cat and that could be locked. This cat door was everything I hoped that it would be and more. I don't let my cat outside, but he loves to "explore" the garage. With this cat door, I don't have to leave the door open in 100 degree weather and I can lock it when I'm not home. The door arrived very quickly and in perfect condition. This is a great product and an awesome seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars after research, the very best product in this price range., February 20, 2014
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
rarely give 5 stars, but this product was perfect for what I needed. looked at several designs until I decided on this. the litter box and feed were always in the way. I have an enclosed porch with a solid door. perfect spot! other models required cutting of cheap plastic to fill the void between the front and back sections inside the door. this unit is designed to perfectly fit together, without having to figure that out, the front section is molded to cover the inside of the door, whether solid, or hollow. the instructions are concise, and I installed it in about an hour. (I like to be precise). this unit would not work well if you plan a pet door that leads to the outside, there are models with this manufacturer designed for that. the locks, though not heavy duty, work well, as options to contain you pet. it took about two days of gentile coaxing, and that was it! (I think it helped that its a French door with windows, my cat could see her food and liter box). the door is quiet, (it sounds like a drawer opening), and the weather stripping, (strong selling point, as my front porch is unheated), is very effective, as the magnet to keep it closed is a good strength. my hint?, install the unit with the locks facing out, the unit looks "cleaner" inside the house. well made, easy install, clean design, and no more smell in the main house. p.s. the smaller version would work just fine for normal size cats, this one is large enough for any medium sized critter you may adopt in the future....... egads........

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay..., May 22, 2014
AZDogMama (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Mate Large Cat Door White (Misc.)
It does the trick, but I find the little buttons that keep the flap shut a bit of pain. I would rather have gone with a cat door with the slide on cover, in hindsight. You have to be sure that the flap is in the correct position before you push the tabs/buttons together to keep it closed, or it will not be secure. We learned this the hard way when we first got the door - our cat escaped. Luckily for us, he was waiting outside the door in the a.m. Now we have an enclosed catio on the other side of the cat door, so it's not as much of an issue, but still a bother. Also, because the flap is hard plastic, it took our cat some time to get used to it, and feel comfortable going through it. Lastly, be careful when purchasing the "recommended" insert that is listed with product on the Amazon page (the section where they say so-and-so purchased this and this together)...the one that was listed with this is the WRONG size and does not go with this cat door.

Cat Mate Large Cat Door White