Published 23 months ago by K. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Pepé Le Pew better not mess with this cat.
Published 17 months ago by Armando N. Roman

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Cat Style: Classic, Hand-Drawn Animation Enhances This Charming French Caper, October 5, 2012
This review is from: A Cat in Paris (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
From the famed French animation studio Folimage comes the charming animated treat "A Cat in Paris." This little film, filled with simple pleasures, was nominated for a 2012 Academy Award and just seems pleasingly different from the increasingly boisterous tone of most U.S. animation. It's a small movie, to be sure, without particularly lofty goals--but that's what I enjoyed about it. It's a flight of fancy, a bit of sophisticated escapism that you don't have to be anesthetized to enjoy with your older children. This is a real family film (not just a kiddie flick). As they enjoy the mischievous feline, you can relish in the Paris backdrop and fondly recall rooftop chases from "To Catch A Thief." This two-pack release has both the DVD and the Blu-ray feature and you may opt to see the film with its original subtitles or with the new soundtrack. For American distribution, Marcia Gay Harden, Anjelica Huston (with a fairly peculiar accent) and Matthew Modine headline the vocal talent.

In addition to the 62 minute feature (in both English and French), this release has a cute short film entitled "Extinction of the Saber-Toothed Housecat" (also rated PG) and "The Many Lives of A Cat" Video Flipbook.

Despite these extras, though, the real star is the main show! The furry critter in the leading role is living a double life. During the day, it's a domestic pet for a troubled young girl reeling from the violent murder of her father. During the night, it prowls the cityscape with a human cat burglar scoring exotic treasures. Harden voices the girl's mother and Huston is a new housekeeper. As Harden, a police inspector, closes in on the criminal ring that was responsible for her husband's death--the two worlds get pulled closer together. And as danger approaches, might our nighttime criminals actually take on the roles of unexpected heroes? I think it's a safe bet, but it's a pleasure to see how. One particularly memorable scene (in the dark) is done simply with crude line drawings and was my favorite moment in the whole movie.

"A Cat in Paris" may not be for the very young, but it is certainly for the young at heart. It just has a cool vibe. It looks great and it's a lot of fun. What more can I say? That's more than enough for me, even with the film's modest ambitions. KGHarris, 10/12.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best kids films this decade, September 30, 2012
This review is from: A Cat in Paris (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
------------------------------------------------------------
"A Cat In Paris"
(Folimage/New Arts, 2010/2012)
------------------------------------------------------------
A real gem from French animators Jean-Loup Felicioli and Alain Gagnol... This brilliant, stylish, wildly creative thriller has a look and feel unlike anything being produced in the United States these days. Visually the film is gorgeous: the graphic design is odd and angular, with purposeful nods to film noir's camera angles and use of darkness and shadows, along with a color palette that's filled with rich, unusual choices. The delicious graphics are complimented by a slinky spy-jazz score that feels alternately moody and retro.

Thematically, "A Cat In Paris" is practically an anti-Disney kids' movie: it's stylish and unpredictable; there is a dead parent, but it's the kid's dad, not her mother (who, rather than being dead is a strong, no-nonsense police detective... A great female role model, along with the movie's young heroine...) The story is intelligent and brisk, a refreshingly original plot about a clever cat who slips out at night to join a lithe, roguish burglar who likes stealing stuff just for the challenge but has a strong sense of right and wrong when it comes to taking care of little kids. Best of all it presents cats in a favorable light and makes fun of dogs instead. Like I said: the opposite of Disney.

Lots to love here: alt-oriented families who enjoy material that's fun but off the beaten track will definitely want to check this on out! (Joe Sixpack, ReadThatAgain children's media reviews)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sprighlty tale of cops and robbers, a cat, and a kid, February 12, 2012
This review is from: A Cat in Paris [Region 4] (DVD)
The style of animation is not one I especially appreciate. That's quickly forgotten though as I became absorbed in the sprightly tale of cops and robbers, life and death, a cat and a kid, all set to a vivacious score. There are some dark themes touched on but the story bounces along without dwelling in the dark places for long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Film, October 15, 2012
This review is from: A Cat in Paris (DVD)
My initial interest in A Cat in Paris came from an excellent review but I was also interested in seeing the film from my own interest in cats and that the film is hand-drawn animation. The story revolves around Dino, a cat that lives a double life. By day, he is the pet of ZoŽ and by night, he is the companion of a bugler, who appears to be as flexible as a cat. ZoŽ's mother, a somewhat neglectful parent, is a police inspector, seeking to capture a notorious criminal. The characters of the two stories soon join together when the criminals her mother is after endanger ZoŽ.

I enjoyed the animation. The colors are magnificent and the style of drawing was a refreshing change from the CG animation that is more often used for animated films. I must add that I got so caught up in the story that I didn't try to guess the cast members that were doing the voices, as I usually like to do. The DVD includes a short film called Extinction of the Saber-Toothed Housecat (a very tongue-in-cheek story) and The Many Lives of A Cat Video Flipbook. A Cat in Paris is a charming story, imaginatively drawn and boasts a marvelous jazzy soundtrack. A Cat in Paris is a wonderful film for the family that, I, for one will want to see again for the artistry of the animation and the fun of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing animated feature, March 22, 2013
This review is from: A Cat in Paris (DVD)
My eight-year-old daughter discovered this title at our public library and after watching it, we liked it so much we decided to get a copy for our home library. Dubbed in English, this 2010 French animated feature is pure delight from beginning till end. The story is a cops and robbers burglar story and the deft narrative devices and beautiful hand-drawn animation elevate it above a regular cartoon feature.

Set in Paris, the story centers around a young girl named Zoé (English dub by Lauren Weintraub) who lives with her widowed police commissair mother Jeanne (English dub by Marcia Gay Harden). Zoé's cat likes shadowing a burglar named Nico (English dub by Steven Blum) and when the cat gives Zoé a 'present' in the form of a bracelet, Jeanne realizes that the bracelet might be tied in to the spate of burglaries in the area. Jeanne and her team are on the trail of a notorious criminal named Victor Costa (English dub by JD Blanc) who was also responsible for Jeanne's husband's death.

The story moves on at a fast pace and kept our interest. The plot is engaging, peopled with interesting characters, both benign and sinister, and my daughter could not take her eyes off the screen. She loved Zoé's character as well as Nico, and though she was a little afraid during certain nail-biting parts, she enjoyed the movie immensely.

The feature runs at 62 minutes, in full color, and there are several bonus features:
"The Many Lives of a Cat" Video Flipbook
"Extinction of the Saber-Toothed Housecat" Bonus Short Film
Alternate Original French Audio Track with English Subtitles
U.S. Trailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Cat Style: Classic, Hand-Drawn Animation Enhances This Charming French Caper, October 9, 2012

Despite these celebrities, though, the real star is the main show! The furry critter in the leading role is living a double life. During the day, it's a domestic pet for a troubled young girl reeling from the violent murder of her father. During the night, it prowls the cityscape with a human cat burglar scoring exotic treasures. Harden voices the girl's mother and Huston is a new housekeeper. As Harden, a police inspector, closes in on the criminal ring that was responsible for her husband's death--the two worlds get pulled closer together. And as danger approaches, might our nighttime criminals actually take on the roles of unexpected heroes? I think it's a safe bet, but it's a pleasure to see how. One particularly memorable scene (in the dark) is done simply with crude line drawings and was my favorite moment in the whole movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cute cat burglar!, March 30, 2013
kjrt (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Cat in Paris (DVD)
I stumbled upon the trailer on iTunes and bought the dvd because I knew I would enjoy it...and I did!

I agree with previous reviewers that it's a nice breath of fresh air from your typical Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks fare today. The characters weren't designed to be licensed for toys or slapped on merchandise that would sit on store shelves; they were created simply for the sole purpose of telling the story. The overall visual look has a nice, loose quality to it and has a definitive drawing style (reminds me of a certain fine artist, but I can't put a finger on who exactly.) It's just refreshing to still see hand drawn animation these days as great as highly exacting, pixel perfect rendered 3D art is. The story is lighthearted, humorous, and has some interesting twists! I only watched the subtitled version so can't speak for how the english dubbing was.

I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars "COLORFUL, ENJOYABLE, ENTERTAINING!", July 26, 2012
I enjoy most animated movies, especially with colorful characters, and an exciting story. The introduction of a cat and a child, bad guys and the police, and who's running for their lives, or who is being chased. There's plenty of excitement with a theme of good-verses-bad. Fun-filled, Enjoyable, and Entertaining. Highly Recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pepé Le Pew better not mess with this cat., April 15, 2013
I still remember the first time I saw the box for A Cat in Paris a few months ago. I was looking for a movie for my daughter, and then I saw it- something I never saw or even heard of before. Whenever I see a new, mysterious animated movie pop up on the shelf like that, it always gets me interested. It's no secret that Disney and Dreamworks dominate animation these days, and to see something with a cool look to it like A Cat in Paris does, is a breath of fresh air. Sadly, I was stuck watching the English dub version when I was able to watch it, causing me to put up with a very pitiful performance or two. It may not seem fair to factor that into my review, so if I can watch the movie with the French voices, I'll up the rating...provided that they ARE better.

Zoe is a young girl living with her mom, Jeanne, in Paris. Her father was killed by a nasty gangster, Victor Costa, and it's left Jeanne (who works on the police force) a little obsessed with catching the murderer. She has nightmares about Costa, in the form of a red octopus for some reason, coming after her, and all her efforts to stop him being ineffective. Zoe also has her babysitter, Claudine, for support, but her main friend seems to be her cat that leaves every night and brings her back a lizard. Zoe doesn't talk at all, seemingly traumatized by what happened with her dad, and it doesn't help that her own mom barely pays attention to her. Meanwhile, Costa is still at large with his henchmen and they're looking to steal a huge African statue that's about to be displayed at the local museum. We also see that the cat just so happens to work with Nico, a burglar in the area. Nico just steals jewelry, never hurting anyone to get what he wants. Can you guess what's going to happen with these groups once Zoe follows the cat and Nico one night?

First, I want to mention how nice the animation is in A Cat in Paris. It's nothing brilliant or beautiful, yet the look works, fitting the mood and tone of the story. Watching Nico's body flow like a snake as he creeps around in the opening sequence got me a little more interested in the movie, wondering how serious everything here was going to be. For the most part, characters move and behave realistically, except for Nico when he's sneaking and being stealthy. My absolute favorite part of the animation was a simple white line on black segment where Nico is moving through a dark room with night vision goggles on. Simple, but great! It adds a very unique quality to the character that I liked. The settings also caught my eye with how colorful locations were, even with the majority of the movie taking place at night. I'd love to see some production sketches and paintings if any are available. It's too bad an 'Art of' book for this movie hasn't been made! The film's soundtrack is also very fitting, blending with the visuals perfectly. This movie has a ton of style and I'd love to see more like this. Finally there's the cat, who admittedly doesn't get enough screen time. I loved how he would step in when needed to help with an escape, doing his part in a fight, and especially when he'd just casually walk by the neighbor's dog, causing it to bark and get silenced by the owner. The cat rules.

...ok as you can see the good things I said had to do with the art, music and the cat himself. Why? Because everything else threw me off. The plot isn't terrible, just done to death. Luckily the movie's very short and doesn't drag on, even with the sub-par story. I would've liked more to be done with Jeanne's nightmares instead of just seeing octo-Costa laughing and not doing a whole lot to her. Don't take that the wrong way, as I didn't want to see horrible things done to her, but all he does is laugh for the most part! Jeanne was a very boring character to me as well, only showing emotion when she found out where Costa is, and again later when something big happens. She's just a bland character that could almost be taken out of the movie entirely. In fact, she could! Nico serves as the main hero, more or less, with Jeanne being there because it's standard for a parent to be involved with films like this. And as much as I love the art of this movie, I didn't care much for the lack of facial expressions when it came to Jeanne and Nico. Costa and his boys had some nice expressions here and there, so what happened with these two? The little twist during the film's climax also seemed out of place, even with it being semi-explained before it takes place.

Then there's the voice acting. Dear lord...I know Marcia Gay Harden is a fairly accomplished actress, but the woman should NOT have been cast for the role of Jeanne. Her acting here is the most stale, sleep-inducing work I've heard in an animated film in years. This brings up my point about big names being cast for animated movies when voice actors, trained to do this kind of thing, are plentiful and could use the work. Nope! She got the job instead, and did horribly with it. Ben Stein has more emotion when he talks for god's sake. They even got Anjelica Huston to play the role of Claudine, a fairly large role in the first half of the movie, then goes to waste in no time. The other actors do fine, fortunately.

A Cat in Paris didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me, save for the poor voice acting fiasco, and I doubt I'll watch it again in the future. It's hard to recommend this to any specific groups- the movie doesn't have any blood, no sense of danger due to Costa's men not being much of a threat, and only really has one fight scene. Yet I can't really recommend it to kids under 10, and it lacks a lot of substance for it to be for anyone aside from animation junkies. Due to the short runtime though, there are worse ways to kill an hour of your time. If you have the option to watch it in French, I'm pretty sure you'll be better off, even having not heard it this way.

Even Shaq would have been a better choice over Harden.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family movie, April 10, 2014
Jason and Michelle Jaross (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
There are 5 of us ranging in age from 6 to 46, and we all sat through and enjoyed this movie. If you're looking for a break from Minions or Disney fare, this is a good one.

A Cat in Paris (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
A Cat in Paris (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) by Alain Gagnol (Blu-ray - 2012)
$34.95 $32.98