Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2011 9:37:11 AM PST
Doesn't anyone else feel like it's weird that through the whole book Cat is telling everyone else what to do? Here are three old, older, and ancient vampires faced with a major crisis to their race who sit back and watch a hot-headed 20 something decide what they need to do about it. Yes, she tries very hard not to be so rash, and is getting better, but still has a way to go. All of them are experienced competent and powereful, well more than Cat, and yet she's giving orders?

I wouldn't have been surprised if all of the crisis occuring in This Side of the Grave was just a training exercise for her, with the guys sitting back and mentoring her so that she could learn how to act if there was a real crisis.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 12:13:06 PM PST
Book Fan says:
I felt somewhat the same also. But what got my attention was that she was acting like she was STILL in charge of the Paranormal Military Unit. There were several comments from Cat about having Tate do this or that and it was kind of obnoxious since Tate is now in charge of the Unit. I'm not a Tate fan, but the whole situation was just not believable even in a fanstasy world.

But you do have a point about her directing Bones, Vlad, Mencheres, etc., about what they should and should not do, it was really odd as well.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:35:04 PM PDT
D. Sapp, well said and that, my friend is the problem with a lot of these types of books. Supernatural creatures who are way older and stronger than the heroine always seem to need her help to survive.

Spoiler Alert:

Here's the problem I had with this book. There really wasn't any reason for most of them to even be there. Mencheres alone could have taken care of the problem. He has the ability to freeze people? Why was there any reason to have Bones, Cat, Ian, Vlad, Veritas (SP), Spade and Denise there? Any one of these vampires and one demon could have taken care of the enemy. It really was just unecessary overkill.

To me, the only reason why Cat was giving orders was so she'd have an excuse to still be in the story. And with her giving the orders, it made an excuse for the rest of them to be there. Even still, it was really unecesasry especially since the villian didn't really do anything at all in the book and at the end was just a coward.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 5)
This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 5) by Jeaniene Frost (Mass Market Paperback - February 22, 2011)
4.3 out of 5 stars (322)