Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon November 16, 2011
The Catechism of the Catholic Church is essential for anyone interested in what the Catholic church really teaches. There have been similar catechisms in the past but taking a different approach of questions and answers. In this systematic approach the reader is led through professing (what we believe) and practicing (how we live) the faith. Surely profession should lead to actions was a theme revisited in Vatican II which led the magisterium to the production of this great work.

The only disappointment here is in the cost of the digital kindle version as compared to the paper form such as Catechism of the Catholic Church: Second Edition. Apparently the marketers of this electronic version are unaware of the trend of affordability in the electronic compared to paper versions of books. It is unfortunate that the cost makes the kindle version less accessible. Surely we would prefer this work to be as handy to Catholics as their Bibles and Missals. But, with this unusual pricing approach for a format that costs little to reproduce, we are not encouraged that this will get the distribution we would like.
1414 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2008
I purchased this version of the Catechism to replace the original first edition by Ligouri Press that I had before (ahem) "lending" it to someone a few years ago and never getting it back. I miss that first edition for a number of reasons, not the least of which were my rather copious margin notes and highlights I had made, as well as it's overall heft. The only downside was that they subsequently did some revisions and issued a separate addendum containing the corrections. For the record, that addendum always stayed with the main book and is presumed "missing" along with its main volume. Without getting too bogged down in the history of the book, the First Edition was based largely (if not exclusively) on the French translation of the Catechism. Once they completed the Latin version and began cross-checking, they discovered a number of linguistic inadequacies that were later addressed through the addendum then through subsequent issuances (like this one.)

I was pleased to find this 2nd edition printing available (in hard cover, no less) for such a decent price. And to be certain, it is indeed the "revised" (based on the Latin text) version of the new Catechism. The reality of things hit me as soon as I pulled the volume from the box it shipped in. This edition is at least 1.5-2 inches smaller in both height and width than it's Ligouri predecessor. It also seems a skosh thinner than I remember the original being. I'm guessing this is due to smaller margins and MUCH smaller typeface, as well as some apparent content that was trimmed from this edition (primarily indices).

The book does seem to be well constructed; the binding is tight, the leaves appear clean-cut and a casual pass-through noted no noticeable bleeds, smudges or mis-registers. Aside from my expectations with regard to dimensions, it seems to be a nice, solid publication. The 4-star rating was for the overall size of the volume and typeface. The Catechism itself receives a solid 5-stars for content, and will likely be the Catholic Church's legacy to future generations for many, many years to come.
on September 30, 2011
While this is perhaps not the best printing of this book, if you want to know what the Catholic Church believes, worships, lives, and prays, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is for you. If you want to know what the greatest minds of 2000 years of Christianity have to say about how to understand the message of Sacred Scripture read this book. If you want to know how the holiest saints of the entire history of Christendom have approached the Christian faith and prayer, meditate on the words of this book. The 27-30 pages (depending on which edition of the Catechism you buy) on the "Our Father" will give you deep insights into how our Lord asks us to pray. The 100 plus pages on the 10 Commandments will teach you how to live a godly life in communion with the will of your Heavenly Father.

This printing however lacks the Index of Citations and Glossary. It also has very small print. A better printing is the full size green second edition version in paperback. Currently, it does not come up when you search for it in Amazon. But you can go to this link to find it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879739762/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details. If however, you can find the hard cover (out of print) of the official second edition (green cover) at a reasonable price, you may prefer that. The link for the hard cover is: http://www.amazon.com/Catechism-Catholic-Church/dp/1574551094/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334576633&sr=8-9
on December 26, 2014
The editors drew on much input from many catechists in putting this together. Based on what I knew before of Roman Catholic
doctrine, I reckoned it is a fair and comprehensive catechism. I take it that before there have been some regional variations. It is easy to read and since I am a person of faith, I agree with most of it. The writers who gave input love the Lord. The footnotes are small and abbreviated when referring to sources.. An improvement for future editions could be to make the print in the footnotes at the bottom of the pages larger.
on January 14, 2016
Enjoyed the book, especially the section on prayer. It's major flaw is in its formatting, in order to look like the hardback, the Kindle version retained the paragraph numbers off to the side making the actual content use half the screen forcing me to read in landscape mode and making text to speech a problem.

Now that I have read it all the way through, I have downloaded a file with the Catholic Bible and Catechism divided into 365 parts to read them both in a year.
on April 9, 2002
When those questions come up for Catholics about just why do we do thus-and-so on Sunday, what do we believe, etc., there is no other source for modern readers that you need turn to. Every Catholic household should have one. Also, if anyone wants or needs to know exactly what the Catholic church teaches on something, this is the place to turn.
The book itself, though, is a little dry to read. It is very well organized as a reference book, but it's not very exciting to read straight through. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't contain more delight in the beauty of our faith, awe at the depths of God's revelation of Himself, or simply more practical examples for day-to-day living.
Just as you wouldn't read the encyclopedia from cover-to-cover, neither will you read this book straight through. However, it's very easy to look up any individual question you have, and get the straight story.
on April 24, 2015
I don't agree with all this, but it is a good 756-page "summary" of Catholic doctrine. Although I'm no Catholic, this book and An Exposition of the Christian Faith by John of Damascus are the best writings on the Trinity that I've seen to date. How blind of us Protestants to ignore such teachings, and spend at least as much time preaching about the tithe as about the Trinity.
on April 24, 2013
When first reading this I realized how important education in the format of the Catholic Church is to be strong and rooted in the Mother Church. Faith can unfortunately wane when pressed with so much hostility towards the Church on the outside world. If you know both sides especially the pros then you can stay rooted in your faith when the Mother Church is bombarded with scandals.

The Compendium and the Catechism were shipped together and came on time. Both were in perfect shape.

I have to say that if you want to understand and not feel over burdened with dogma you are not familiar with get the Compendium. Without it I would have shelved the book. This is a must half in this Year of Faith.
on August 13, 2000
Here is the long awaited arrival of the new, completely revised and updated Catechism of the Catholic Church. The value of this Catechism may be summed up rather concisely...it is absolutely indispensable!
on November 25, 2014
I purchased the Catechism Of The Catholic Church at the recommendation of my Bible study group. I was not disappointed. I did not rate 5 stars because I purchased the Kindle version and I found it a little cumbersome to navigate through. My sister has the book and of course it's much easier to flip through the book to find the page your looking for than it is to flip through pages on a kindle when you don't know the exact location or page you need to locate.