5.0 out of 5 stars Catholics Need This
I grew up Catholic, served as an altar boy, followed the sacraments and thought I was a Catholic.

I received this as a gift from my parents. While thumbing through it, I realized I had no idea what being a Catholic was.

Published on September 17, 2005 by A.Trendl HungarianBookstore.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor! Incomplete edition
This Doubleday edition of the Catechism is incomplete - it lacks the Index of Citations and Glossary, and the Subject Index is incomplete. It is dishonest to present this as the second edition.
Published on May 27, 2006 by Milton T. Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Catholics Need This, September 17, 2005
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)

"Catechism of the Catholic Church" -- officially published by the Vatican -- is used by both protestant and Catholic schools to teach what Catholics believe. The top evangelical college in America (Wheaton College) even uses it for their Catholic theology course.

I realized while reading this I had no idea what a Catholic baptism was, what the Catholic Church said about saints, what Rome has to say about Catholics who have converted to another Christian faith. And I learned some things the priest in our Chicagoland parish was not teaching Catholic doctrine.

Whether you are Catholic or not, there is a fair chance you've bought into some of what pop-culture has said Catholic is and is not. This easy-to-read (thick, but well-organized) book will give you the Catholic position on the matter.

I fully recommend "Catechism of the Catholic Church."

Anthony Trendl
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Articulation of the Catholic Faith, December 12, 2004
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
One might expect the Catechism to be dry and difficult to understand, but I am incredibly impressed with how well-written and clear the book is to the reader. It not only clearly explains difficult theological concepts so that the lay reader can understand, but it is filled with wonderful footnotes for further research. It is incredibly insghtful and written with a care which really shines through to bless the reader. Whether one is a Catholic, a searching protestant, or one trying to simply understand the Church more clearly, this is the book for you. Investing in its reading will benefit you in the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little Catechism, January 17, 2006
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
A good priest I know says every Catholic should own and read at least three books: The Bible, Documents of Vatican II, and the Catechism of the Catholic Church (if you're not Catholic and want to learn what the Church really teaches the Catechism is a good place to start). I agree. The Catechism is an invaluable resource in helping one to know and understand their faith and is chocked full of insightful citations to the other two must-read books mentioned above. You can read it from front to back or use the Subject Index to find what you're most interested in. This version is also very small (you can easily hold it in one hand) but the font is still readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice price, a bit teensy, January 14, 2008
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
I purchased this version of the Catechism to replace the original first edition by Ligouri Press that I had before (ahem) "lending" it to someone a few years ago and never getting it back. I miss that first edition for a number of reasons, not the least of which were my rather copious margin notes and highlights I had made, as well as it's overall heft. The only downside was that they subsequently did some revisions and issued a separate addendum containing the corrections. For the record, that addendum always stayed with the main book and is presumed "missing" along with its main volume. Without getting too bogged down in the history of the book, the First Edition was based largely (if not exclusively) on the French translation of the Catechism. Once they completed the Latin version and began cross-checking, they discovered a number of linguistic inadequacies that were later addressed through the addendum then through subsequent issuances (like this one.)

I was pleased to find this 2nd edition printing available (in hard cover, no less) for such a decent price. And to be certain, it is indeed the "revised" (based on the Latin text) version of the new Catechism. The reality of things hit me as soon as I pulled the volume from the box it shipped in. This edition is at least 1.5-2 inches smaller in both height and width than it's Ligouri predecessor. It also seems a skosh thinner than I remember the original being. I'm guessing this is due to smaller margins and MUCH smaller typeface, as well as some apparent content that was trimmed from this edition (primarily indices).

The book does seem to be well constructed; the binding is tight, the leaves appear clean-cut and a casual pass-through noted no noticeable bleeds, smudges or mis-registers. Aside from my expectations with regard to dimensions, it seems to be a nice, solid publication. The 4-star rating was for the overall size of the volume and typeface. The Catechism itself receives a solid 5-stars for content, and will likely be the Catholic Church's legacy to future generations for many, many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars The authoritative source of what Catholics believe, October 14, 2006
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
While I grew up Protestant (Baptist) I didn't know that any Christian group had such a thing as a Catechism book, a book of their confession, or even by-laws. I thought all that was needed was the Bible (sola Scriptura). As a result all I learned about who the Catholics are and what they believe was from pastors with an anti-Catholic ax to grind, mis-informed or non-practicing Catholic classmates, and biased anti-Romish Protestant literature.

Since I had so many questions from church history and interactions with devout and God-fearing Catholics, I found this book invaluable in understanding certain Roman-Catholic Church (RCC) doctrines.

This Catechism of the RCC is very well organized, with valuable cross-references, and easy to read and understand. While I do not agree with all the doctrines and interpretations, I respect the Catholic Christians who know what their church teaches (i.e. read their Catechism) and love the Lord.

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor! Incomplete edition, May 27, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!!, September 7, 2005
Sam (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
Finally I got it on my bookshelf today. It is the first day and I have already finished 100 first pages of the Cathecism. This is to me a perfect reasoning to explain Catholic faith, how the Church interprets the Scripture, put it into the context of the Church's doctrines, and explains it in the most sensible way to everyone: Catholics, non-Catholics, even non-Christians.

It is really interesting to see how "rational" the Cathecism has presented, especially how the book describe the concept of God and His Trinitarian nature as the foundation of Christian belief. This book is certainly a source of information as well as a strong defence material for Protestant attacks on Catholic doctrines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the Full Size Edition Instead, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
While this is perhaps not the best printing of this book, if you want to know what the Catholic Church believes, worships, lives, and prays, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is for you. If you want to know what the greatest minds of 2000 years of Christianity have to say about how to understand the message of Sacred Scripture read this book. If you want to know how the holiest saints of the entire history of Christendom have approached the Christian faith and prayer, meditate on the words of this book. The 27-30 pages (depending on which edition of the Catechism you buy) on the "Our Father" will give you deep insights into how our Lord asks us to pray. The 100 plus pages on the 10 Commandments will teach you how to live a godly life in communion with the will of your Heavenly Father.

This printing however lacks the Index of Citations and Glossary. It also has very small print. A better printing is the full size green second edition version in paperback. Currently, it does not come up when you search for it in Amazon. But you can go to this link to find it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879739762/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details. If however, you can find the hard cover (out of print) of the official second edition (green cover) at a reasonable price, you may prefer that. The link for the hard cover is: http://www.amazon.com/Catechism-Catholic-Church/dp/1574551094/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334576633&sr=8-9

5.0 out of 5 stars And the Truth shall set you free, April 14, 2005
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
This pretty much what every practicing or non-practicing Catholic should have a copy of. It has the answers according to canon law, etc. It has answers about societal issues and like we know, it's needed in this society we live in today.

Though there are other condensed versions of the CCC, this is what we should really have read. It's a good source for the student as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catechism of the Catholic Church:Second Edition, January 8, 2007
This review is from: Catechism of the Catholic Church (Hardcover)
I love the new Edition of the Catechism! I bought it on the recommendation of my theology teacher and I love the compactness of it, and the hard cover. It is just a beautiful book and what can I say about our new Catechism except that it is incrredibly inspiring and we are so blessed to have such a wonderful Church!

Catechism of the Catholic Church
Catechism of the Catholic Church by U.S. Catholic Church (Hardcover - March 4, 2003)
$16.00 $13.60