5.0 out of 5 stars I keep coming back to these...
If I remember correctly, I'm up to my third pair of these boots. The last pair lasted almost exactly two years, and would have lasted longer if I hadn't completely worn down the sole to the point that it was just flat.

Published on June 4, 2009 by Jeff Kraus

1.0 out of 5 stars The construction of these boots is horrible
I have sent them back because they are falling apart for a second time. The replacement pair have come separated only after one month of use. Do not buy these boots, they are garbage,
Published 2 months ago by Marshall Landscape inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep coming back to these..., June 4, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Caterpillar Men's 2nd Shift 6" Steel Toe Boot (Apparel)

They are definitely solid boots. The soft, strong leather improves over time -- they definitely require a break-in period before they're really comfortable, but they will get there after a week or so. The water resistance is excellent as long as the waterline stays below your ankles.

I've been using these as my everyday shoes for some time -- they double nicely as motorcycle boots, and since I ride to work whenever the weather permits, these get a lot of use. Some of the wear in the soles is surely because of this, and I have some marks in the leather above my left toe from the shifter, but it's only noticeable up close. Splashes and kicked up water/oil/dirt from other cars is not a problem at all, although in a good heavy rain, water still gets in through the top as it comes through my jeans and trickles down my leg. But that's unavoidable. The boots are also resistant to slippery surfaces like spots of oil on the asphalt. When I put my foot down at a traffic light, I don't have to worry about my foot slipping.

The use of hooks instead of holes for the ankle part of the boot is a great help in getting them on and off quickly and easily. The only downside to this is that in 12-18 months, the laces will start to fray from being dragged over the hooks over and over. But the laces themselves are strong -- they have a core and sheath composition, so the sheath will eventually give first. Since the laces can still be used for a while with the core exposed, you'll have plenty of time to get another set of laces after the sheath splits. And again, we're talking more than a year before that happens anyway. :)

They do seem to run big, so be wary of that. My shoe size is normally about a 10.5 or 11, but with these shoes I have to buy a 9.5.

One last thing to keep in mind, they're a bit heavy. Mine weigh in at almost a full pound per shoe! So don't expect to be using these for hiking or anything like that -- they're work boots, after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best ever, February 17, 2010
MH (D-town,PA) - See all my reviews
The best boot I ever had. I wear them 5 days a week 9 hour days. I was aware they run about 1/2 size big and ordered the smaller size. I will not buy any other boot.

1.0 out of 5 stars The construction of these boots is horrible, December 4, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boot, wrong size., August 30, 2011
This review is from: Caterpillar Men's 2nd Shift 6" Steel Toe Boot (Apparel)
I've only worn them a few days cutting trees, but these boots feel very sturdy and tough. They're just getting to the point where they're broken in and quite comfortable. They run very big though. I wear a 9.5 sneaker, but my feet were swimming in these. I sent them back for a 8.5 that fits just right, with a regular thin cotton sock. I'd definitely recommend them, just be aware of the sizing. Maybe boots in general run large and these are on par? I don't know, I just know the fit was 1 size smaller than my New Balance sneaker...

4.0 out of 5 stars my husband loves them!, July 10, 2013
I got these for my husband to wear at work. It took him about a week to break them in but they are perfect now, he has no complaints. I definitely suggest sizing down, they run about 1 whole size big.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, but get smaller size, December 25, 2012
after reading reviews for these boots I originally purchased 1/2 size smaller than my normal shoe size. But take note, unless you're going to be wearing layers of socks, one full size is a better fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Boots, November 6, 2010
Brian wakefield (NEW ORLEANS, LA, US) - See all my reviews
been wearing Cat boots for over 20 years and the quality is as high as ever, very comfortable and practicle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working in a mine and these are great., April 3, 2013
Can't beat these. I have had other brands and other types of safety shoe and like these the best. Comfortable and sturdy. For me its to the sides of the toe area if there are seams it just rips in a few weeks but these don't have that at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, November 15, 2014
The toe area of the boot is beginning to peel, however the quality of the boot is amazing. I could care less about the minor ripping. I wore these boots to work everyday, in the freezing cold, to the scorching summer days. Kept my foot warm, and kept my foot cool (walking on hot pavement).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely sized, takes wearing in, September 21, 2014
Having read the other reviews I decided to order a full size down from my usual shoe size. They were still slightly too large. Making the closure as tight as possible and wearing two layers of extra thick socks, it's close enough, but seriously, order AT LEAST a full size down.

Now, like all tough boots these are very uncomfortable at the beginning and if you order a size and a half down, it might feel impossibly small. Don't give up - flex them, massage them, massage them with the oil you need to use for leather care anyway, wear them, get creative with the lacing pattern (you even have that loop in the back if you need it), and before you know it they'll fit like a glove (an inch-thick steel-reinforced glove).

I do wish the steel toe was wider, but it's alright. Comparable to other boots (but since everything else about these is superior, I'd hoped the toe would be as well).

The deep traction has served me well. There was a nice bumpy pattern on the squares as well but it's wearing down (not to mention getting covered in liquid nails, tar, and so on). Despite that, the sturdy structure of the outer has kept me from flying off a roof so far (that sounds like some famous last words right there, doesn't it...)

Also, the bottom does handle extreme high temperatures well and resists deformation. Still, the heat transfers through so I've had the bottoms of my feet burning despite thick boots and double socks. With other shoes the feet don't get burned but the cheaper rubber simply melts (thus ruining the roof that's all of three hours old).

I wish I'd bought 1.5 sizes smaller instead of 1.0, and I really should be taking better care of the leather than I do, but all things considered they are worthy companions.

Caterpillar Men's 2nd Shift 6" Steel Toe Boot