on June 29, 2009
I bought these work boots to use on the farm. They have been comfortable and have thus far held up. I would note that the waterproof version still has a regular tongue for ease of getting the boot on but it causes the waterproofing to be effective to the ankle. I found this out when I took these boots out hunting and was walking through the wet grass and soon had wet feet.

Update:
I have used these boots for a hard season crawling around, in, and on heavy equipment. I have drug them on shop floors, had hot metal and slag fall on them from welding and cutting. Basically I have really abused the shoes. As I mentioned earlier, the shoes really aren't waterproof over the top of the rubber sole. The shoe laces have fallen apart over the last month and the shoes are really, really worn. Overall the shoes have held up well, protected my feet from mishaps, and were really comfortable after getting broken in. The slip resistance has been good on equipment and on concrete floors. I will buy another set of CAT work boots to replace these, just not the waterproof version.
on August 24, 2011
I drive a delivery truck and unload it for a living. I need to have comfortable boots that are also slip resistant and steel-toe. The Caterpillar Alaska seemed to be the right boots for me.
From the first time I put these on they felt great. I didn't need to break them in or anything because they were already so comfortable. Sometimes i'll get home from work and not even take my boots off right away because my feet feel fine.
So for comfort i'd give these boots a 100%. Unfortunately when it comes to the durability I can't say the same thing. They look rugged and tough, and maybe I just expected more from a boot that uses the slogan "walking machines".
Within 2 or 3 weeks, the yellow rubber on the sole started to wear off. That wasn't a big deal because there's still black rubber underneath, but it makes me wonder why they bothered using it at all. Is it merely for looks?
Also for the first few weeks the black from the suede tongue would wear off onto my white socks. A small irritation, but again, not a big deal.
After that, the boots did great until about 6 months when i needed to replace the laces because they wore thin on the metal prongs that are used in place of eyelets. Like the other issues, it's just a minor problem because laces are cheap.
The real problems started at about 11 months when the rubber soles started to crack and wear out. I was surprised that the bottoms were so thin and hollow. I really expected more rugged durability in these. After all, I usually only wear these boots 4 days a week for about 8-10 hours a day. Once the bottoms wore out, that was the beginning of the end. On rainy days the water would soak through the holes and my socks would get really wet. By the time one year hit, I had to throw them away.
It's just a shame that the rubber soles weren't made a little bit thicker because the boot could have lasted a lot longer. The stitching and leather uppers were still in great shape. Did CAT do this to keep the boot from being too heavy, or did they just cut corners to save on production cost?
When it was time to replace my boots, I weighed out the pros and cons and tried on a few other brands at the store....but none of them felt as good as the Alaska's! So in my case, comfort beat out durability, and I bought another pair of Alaska's. I know that just like my last pair these will probably only last me about one year, and that really stinks. However, that's one more year of my feet being totally protected and feeling great, and when it comes down to it, that's what's the most important!
on November 2, 2009
I bought the waterproof version. There's a little metal plaque that says waterproof, but they aren't. Where the tongues attach to the fold-overs for the laces, down at the bottom loop there are very small spaces at all four corners. If you step in more than two and a half inches of water or slush, or working in snow your feet WILL GET WET. It's not a defect, It's just poor design. The other reviewer stated that they are waterproof up to the ankles, THEY ARE NOT. They are only waterproof up to just below the bottom loop, exactly two and a half inches from the ground. I say it's poor design because they did make the tongue out of waterproof sued, and attached it all the way up to the fifth loop, but they just didn't seal those tiny holes at the bottom. Just dumb.

Oh, and mine are defective too. The left boot was assembled and stitched together lopsided. strictly cosmetic, but still, they aren't $40 boots from Modell's. They were over $100.

The name Caterpillar and it's logo are licensed by a boot company named Wolverine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2011
Likes: Durable
Warm
Flexible
Thick Sole
Slip resistant tread really is slip resistant

Dislikes:
Made in china

Ive only had the Alaska FX's for a couple weeks, I just got rid of my "2nd shift" Cat boots, they lasted me 3 years and im hoping these do as well. Im a mechanic, im always bending down to look at machines and these boots allow me to do so comfortably. I typically stand for at least 8 hours a day and neither my feet or my back give me problems. My company does snow removal in winter and I was washing a salt truck. My boots were soaked with salty nasty water and my feet stayed dry the entintire time. I suspected the salt would dry and crack the leather however it did not affect the leather at all. Walking on ice is now a new concept with these boots, nothing without metal spikes is going to grip perfectly on ice but these boots grab very well compared to other brands Ive worn in the past. The sole on these boots is very thick, maybe too stiff for some, but climbing in and out of equipment all day and walking through rough terrain (construction/new landscape) they are perfect. I doubt your feet would stay dry if you submerged your feet in water but walking through six inches of snow continuously throughout the day, I had no problems. I would recomend these boots to anyone in construction, landscaping, or any other similar environment.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2014
OK, here are the facts. I purchased these boots as my son had purchased a similar pair from CAT through Amazon and really loved them, I did not buy the exact pair that he purchased as the did not have them in my size and width. I have logged over 500 hours on these boots (12-14 hour days) in very demanding conditions. (I work in very wet and abrasive conditions as we produce fiberglass mat for the roofing industry.) First of all the ONLY negative thing about these boots are they are not 100% waterproof. They are waterproof in about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of water but that is it. (If you can live with that, then you are good.) The good things; they are very comfortable and if you have wide feet, (mine are EEE) the width fit is spot on. The sole is extremely durable and has great non-slip features, great support and they tie up nicely and stay tied. They fit well around your ankle and so far the leather seems to be holding up well. I think they also look nice on your feet. The two things that I did extra, were to put several coats of Mink Oil on the boots and I took the standard insoles out of the boots and added what I call a (aftermarket insole) that I purchased from my local drug store. Now I have owed steel toes boots for many years; I have owned the cheap ones that you can get from your local superstore and I have also owned most of the popular steel toe work boots which range in price from 170.00 all the way up to 320.00. I can honestly say that these are the best boots I have owned for the money spent. Since I get a new pair every 12 to 15 months I think these are a smart buy.
on November 1, 2011
It is the item number 70961 and not the 89672. 70961 is NOT waterproof like the 89672 is. The 89672 is supposed to have the yellow Caterpillar labels on the boot rather than black. Amazon better fix this!! Hmm now I see they used the wrong pictures. The small icon picture shows yellow labels on the boots but when you click for a bigger picture it shows a black label. So Im not sure whats going on.
on February 2, 2014
As the title states these are great boots. This is my first pair that are waterproof and I have to say I was surprised that they actually hold up when it comes to water. This makes my 5th pair of Caterpillar Alaska 6" boots and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
These boots stay on longer than I have them off.

From 6am they are on my feet while I abuse them in my auto shop, had molten metal, oil, grease, random heavy parts fall on them only damaging the leather (the steel toe is now visible), after 6pm I am in lecture and laboratory (engineering, chemistry, and math labs) classes and I also tutor till about 10pm and they remain comfortable while I walk around the classrooms and navigating through the campus.

They also survived hurricane sandy in long island.

The only discrepancy I have experienced with careful consideration to the engineering purpose of this boot;
the laces are cheap, you might as well replace them when you get these cause they will fray and break off in no time. I had CVS laces on here that lasted longer than the original;
water always got in because the ankle walls is not completely sealed with the tongue(once the tongue and the inside gets wet it seems the dye gets on your sock), although this design allows the boot to be easy on and off;
these boots wore out faster than any other boots I have owned BUT these were the most comfortable boots I have owned. I had to get a new pair cause the bottom tread is now worn so far that it is flat and has a hole and I am walking on my inner soles. They use soft compound rubber which is why they wear faster. Soft rubber will allow more flexibility at the toe joints and give more user control of foot movement, this is important cause you have a steel toe that is already going to weigh and restrict movement (although these boots don't exhibit the slightest indications of the presence of steel). This the main reason as to why these boots are comfortable for all day use, the allowance of flexibility by using LESS and SOFT rubber on the soles. Soft rubber also offers the highest traction (making them oil slip resistant) and also will not harden much during extreme cold temperatures which tends to degrade traction(speaking in dry conditions);
the metal eyelets and hooks for the laces have not broken off but they have rusted on the inside and often left oxidation stains on my socks. There is a visible coating on the metal, not clear coat but some sort of coating that still lasted with minimal fading on the exterior but the coating is not visible on the interior which is why it has oxidized. The oxidation appears to be of iron which I am happy to see. I wouldn't want any other type of metal in these heavy duty boots (unless we are going futuristic with super lightweight magnesium alloys)

I estimate I had about 3300 hours of usage before I decided to get another pair. They are still comfortable and usable as long as I don't go out in wet weather but lets face it, I need new boots. The steel toe is also great for kicking hard stuff.(I kick stuff on purpose cause it makes me feel like master chief) One of the garage doors always gets stuck and a small kick with these always breaks it loose. I use it to kick stubborn stuck tires off vehicles without having to grab the sludge(some kung fu skills or stretching required).

I would buy it again but I will keep in mind the experience and keep use of it accordingly (I have another pair of weatherboots for severe snow and water although highly uncomfortable that I keep as secondary in case I know the cat boots wont handle it)

Another note, I am gelling when I use these boots. They are fitted with Dr. Scholl's insoles and they still have space for my feet. I recommend insoles to keep foot and joint impact to a minimum which will keep you on your feet longer without fatigue or for me it was knee pains.

For the winter; I experience discomfort when I wear a pair of wool socks over a pair of regular socks. There is not enough space especially with my insoles, my feet will freeze non the less at around 25 degrees F. or -2 degrees C. I wear my other boots for cold conditions (the extra pair of weatherboots I have are insulated) but at times I will still wear these boots regardless because you cannot beat the comfort for being on your feet all day.

Casual; I have gotten into night clubs(I can pass them for dress shoes), they are not bad with a suit(except for the steel toe that shows cause mine are so worn), government building security compliments me on them(expect to have a friendly conversation cause they will not pass any metal detection security), I exercise with them(makes the jogs more challenging), and saved my weak ass during a wedding party when I had a heavy little girl dance on my toes.

So all in all if you buy these; don't get wet, have extra laces, don't expect long life, feel the comfort, enjoy having heavy boots and feeling safe from muggers cause of your painfully strong toe.

I will be buying the Cat Endure Superduty as my next boot to test.
on March 20, 2014
I unload trucks for a large retailer and work in the backroom. So these boots see a lot of walking on concrete, pallets, things falling on them, etc.

The Good:

These boots a really quite comfortable once you break them in, and once you are use to the weight of the boots they don't feel too heavy. My pair that is a year old are still comfortable to wear for a 10 hour shift at work: standing, climbing ladders, etc. The steel toe has saved me on more than one occasion, and the heel of the boot has saved my ankles from people trying to run them over. Overall the leather of the boots seems to hold up well (kicking pallets, concrete floors, etc). I walk a lot at work (8 miles or more a day) and the sole seems to hold up fairly well. I even once stepped on a one inch nail and it didn't even come close to my foot.

The Bad:

The tongues of the boots will leave black marks on white socks for quite awhile, which really does kind of ruin your white socks. While the leather of the boots holds up well; it doesn't take a lot of force to scratch and even tear off the top layer of leather. So if you are expecting to keep the smooth look of the leather to hold up if you drop something on it, scrap it on concrete, etc. it won't. While the sole holds up well to just wearing it down, it does seem to be prone to cracking because I developed multiple cracks in both boots (I think from bending down). And in my experience the slip resistance isn't a real selling point. If it's water or something like that you'll be fine, but if it's something else, like sand (Cat litter in my case) it's pretty slippery.
on June 18, 2013
It looks very nice to start with, but the pair I got from Amazon, the 2nd boot lace holder pulled out after only 3 weeks of use. I e-mailed Cat and they asked me to send in the boots and they would determine if it was Manufacturer's Defect or not. Cost me 17$ to ship those boots back to Cat, and 5 weeks later I got a brand new pair of boots from Cat. I have been wearing those since February(Now its June), And I must say I am not impressed. My sole on the heel has lost almost all of its traction lines, and the liner on the inside that covers the inner sole, is already wearing down and I can see the white of the under-layer. They still do their job, protecting my feet, and are fairly comfortable, but if this was my only experience with Cat, I would not buy it again. However I do still own a pair of Cat Hydraulics that have seen 3 years of heavy use, and I keep them as my back-ups. I am just kind of disappointed in the quality of these boots. The laces are also fraying pretty good, so they will need to be replaced after about 6 months(giving them maybe another 2 months of life).

Another complaint, but only because its getting warm here, these boots are VERY warm. Was nice in the winter, where my feet could get very cold, but now that it is getting warm, my feet get VERY warm, so don't buy these if you only live in hot weather!