4.0 out of 5 stars Composite Hikers
Published on August 26, 2011 by usmceod

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be good for some folks but not for me.
I really wanted to like these boots. They are handsome and meet the requirements for the work I do (welder). However they put so much pressure on my achilles tendons they are excruciating to wear. Very disappointing. I will be returning them for this reason.
Published 14 months ago by Jan E. Downs

4.0 out of 5 stars Composite Hikers, August 26, 2011
First let me thank the other reviewers who said that this boots run large. I normaly wear a size 10 1/2 and the size 10 fit with plenty of toe room. These are well made boots for the money. I work outside and am required to wear safety boots. Having to walk several miles on various terain I find these to be light and comfortable for safety boots. I would expect to pay more for the quality. My only complaint would be the insoles which are a little stiff and offer very little cushion. A pair of quality insoles make these boots a perfect 5.

UPDATED 09/08/2012

I enjoyed these boots while they lasted. The sole cracked after about 12 months of use. Don't get me wrong, for the amount of walking I do (5-10 miles a day 4-5 days a week) these boots have a couple of thousand miles on them. I used them in the wetlands and the desert with no problems. I was so satisfied I just ordered another pair to replace the last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pair of Boots, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Caterpillar Men's Nitrogen Hiker Composite Toe Hiking Boot (Apparel)
just got my pair ....well the look is good and the delivery prompt...however the size is a bit off as someone else has also mentioned...ordered a 9.5 seems like 10 also you would certainly require a additional insole to make them comfortable....all in all a good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Caterpillar hiking/boot awesome as a work boot!, July 15, 2010
I am the Head Life support operator and Aquarist that runs thousands of gallons of saltwater aquariums. I had been burning through the fake leather "work boots" you get from your discount shoe sources. I finally had enough of the fake leather peeling off of my boots after only 3-6 months of daily wearing. So I decided to do my research and spend a little more money to try and get something that will actually hold up in a saltwater soaked environment (for those that don't know, saltwater is VERY corrosive)
I decided upon this hiking boot, comes highly touted from caterpillar, and Caterpillar comes with pretty good recommendations for their price range. The composite toe that does not conduct electricity like a steel toe does is the last thing that really made me choose this boot over the other boots that caterpillar makes. The boot is VERY comfortable to walk in. It doesn't breathe as well as I would like it to, but that is the trade off for trying to get a water proof boot.
I am now a believer in Caterpillar work boots, and absolutely LOVE this specific model. I will update this review in the coming months to detail any wear problems or design flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handles construction like a champ, September 29, 2013
I bought these boots 2 months ago when I was offered a job doing commercial construction. I ordered them based on the very reasonable price and high reviews of fellow users. With my job I subject these boots to more abuse than they probably were ever meant to endure, I climb in and out of equipment, up and down ladders, squat and kneel more than my knees care for, and am constantly kicking materials and supporting them on the toes of the boots. After at least 40 ten+ hour work days in them I believe I can turn in a fairly well rounded review.

Pros: Extremely comfortable, like fellow reviewers have said there wasn't a break in period. They were a bit stiff for a day or two, but didn't lead to blisters or hot spots or any discomfort at all. They are also very very light, they honestly feel more like a hiking boot than a work boot.
Quite durable. Other than two concerns I have (see cons) they have held up very well to the abuse I have dished out.
Overall very good value for money. I also serve in the Air Force reserves doing the same job, construction. These boots have held up just as well for the first two months as any boot the military has issued or that I've bought personally, and for at least 25 dollars cheaper.

Cons: I only have two concerns with the boots. One is with the quick lace up design, the four hooks near the top of the boot are made of plastic and I wonder how they will hold up after repeated tying. My other concern is with the soles. With this boot, the leather uppers are simply glued to the foam sole and right at the termination of the composite toe the foam has separated from the leather. It's no more than enough for a dime to barely sit in, seems to be nothing serious and a dab of super glue has held it in place rather well. But seeing how this happened within a month I give these boots a 4 rather than 5 star review.

Overall, keeping in mind that these aren't Redwings or Rockies, these have been exceptional work boots at a much nicer price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be good for some folks but not for me., May 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars No Break-in required!, May 2, 2013
I was a bit skeptical after reading these boots' reviews, but thought them worth trying, especially for the money. The reviews were right! These were comfortable on day one.

The only watch-out with these boots is the footbed padding is a bit thin...heavier folks may need to change it. The boots may be tight with orthotics, but I've not tried mine in them yet. I only wear the othos when my feet hurt and go without them once my feet heal (pun not intended).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad pair, November 1, 2011
They look good and feel comfortable with thick socks, that's because the insoles are super thin and cheap they are just there and provide nothing, I would recommend buying a decent pair of insoles. The shoes start to look a little ugly after a while. The top part of the shoe between the laces and the composite toe just looks weird to me after wearing for a few days, the bottom sole right behind the toes should have been a little thicker as they would have assisted in keeping the shoe firmer and hold its shape that's why when you buy the shoe even though its composite toe the front of the shoe is over stuffed with paper to push that part up to make it appear good looking.

I like these shoes, they're well made and fit well, they do run a little large. I normally wear a size 8.5 and in these I had to order an 8, and they fit fine. It's light weight, What else can I say about theses shoes. I wear em with 5.11 pants and they look pretty good, the sole is soft and has a good grip on the surface, because the bottom sole right behind the toe is thin the shoe does crumple up when you take a knee or some thing of that nature. I would not buy them again and recommend them to buddies who are not as picky as I am ;) I got them in brown and the color is exactly like in the picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
After 5 months of continuous wear, they are still holding up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catepillar Nitrogen Boot, June 17, 2014
I have used this boot in the past and I am happy with the comfort and durability. This pair fits comfortably. If this sets lasts as long as the last set it will be about 18 months of daily use. The only issue I had was the size tags inside. One boot tag was 8.5 and the other said boot tag was 7.5. I thought I would have to go through the exchange process but after checking found they are both 8.5 just tagged wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Boot For All Around Concrete Work, June 13, 2014
This is my second pair of Nitrogens. First ones were black. These boots are truly amazing. Super light with a tennis shoe feel.I work at a warehouse where I am on my feet for a straight 8 hours, climbing in and out of trucks and forklifts, so its tough to find a composite toe boot that doesn't kill my feet by the end of the day. These nitrogens have just proved to me that no other boot comes close to these in comfort and toughness. I just returned a new set of RedWings that I thought would be a major upgrade in comfort over my old nitrogens, boy was I mistaken. Returned the redwings and ordered these, that are identical to my old ones. I Wore them today to work and when I got home, my feet thank you. No break in needed, just put my gel inserts in. I use inserts in all shoes. Very comfortable and tough. Wore my first pair for over a year and a half and boot is still in very good shape. Only one broken lace. You have me as a lifetime customer. Please continue this Nitrogen series of boots. My feet Thank You once again.

Caterpillar Men's Nitrogen Hiker Composite Toe Hiking Boot