Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon April 24, 2011
These are the nicest athletic or outdoor shoes I've gotten in quite a while. They are extremely comfortable out of the box, providing support via their shape instead of being stuffed with foam rubber. They're a great match for walking or hiking, and they are one of my standard pairs now when I travel. There seems to be some kind of springy piece in the center of the heel area, which provides good cushioning as well as additional heel support.

The sole is covered with small nubbins about 4 or 5 millimeters across - one of the pictures shows them. They provide outstanding traction in just about any condition you can name. They will get small rocks or seeds in between the nubbins on occasion - I have grown accustomed to removing hackberry seeds from mine after spending time outside.

They look good. The Cat logo is very subdued. The ventilation holes double as good looking decorations and I think even help give the upper some additional flex.

Even though they are Caterpillar brand, they're made by Wolverine, which also makes several other premium shoe brands, such as Patagonia.

As with just about every other shoe I've gotten in the last ten years, they have nylon shoelaces that have a tendency to come untied. I guess such laces wear better, and are probably cheaper than pure cotton laces. Personally, my advice to premium brand manufacturers would be to charge a bit more and perhaps include a spare pair of laces so that the darn things stay tied. That problem was solved a couple of hundred years ago, and it seems silly to go backwards to shoes that I have to tie all the time.

But given that all shoes seem to have the same problem, I won't take away a star for that. After three months of wearing these, I like them enough to give them a very high recommendation.
on April 27, 2012
thought these shoes would be to narrow, because I usually go with a wide shoe. But these fit very well. Nice and comfortable and so far durable.
on February 7, 2012
I haven't seen these Caterpillars in Australia, and decided to order online. Boy, I am glad I did! They are sooo comfortable! Comparable Merrells sell for around $200. These, with freight, were just over $90. Talk about savings.
Build quality is top-quality. I cannot fault them.
Insoles are very comfortable, and seem to absorb odours. The shoes still smell like new.
Grip is excellent, and the little nipples on the soles certainly put a spring into your step on hard surfaces.
Pre-treat with leather/cloth waterproofing spray to really rainproof them.
I highly recommend these Shelk shoes. They really are that brilliant, and I will replace with the same once they
eventually wear out.
on June 30, 2016
I didn't even know CAT made (well, put their name on) shoes until a friend insisted that this Shelk model would be the most comfortable "everyday" shoes I'd ever owned. They looked a little weird and I wasn't too enthusiastic about the purchase, but I did it anyway- and I'm so glad I did! They are on the big side which is ideal for swapping the stock insole with the rather thick orthotic one that is perfect for my feet (Powerstep® Pinnacle Plus Met Insoles, Red/Blue,Men's 10-10.5, Women's 12-12.5). The insole fills the extra room making them fit perfectly. The unusual outsole with its deep lug tread gives them a soft and squishy feel that is really what makes them for me. They are so comfortable! The look has grown on me as well. The rope color is fairly neutral and the leather is thick enough to give your feet a little protection. I've worn them daily since I first tried them on and they really are the most comfortable and easy to wear shoes I've ever had. The only negative is that they don't breathe very well and when I get hot and sweaty, so do they. So I pull out the insoles and let everything air out regularly. Otherwise, they're perfect for me and I'm really glad I took a chance with them! Other reviews report that the tread wears down rapidly and though I've only been wearing them a couple months, I can see that's true. The soft lugs will not stand up to years of wear, but they are the key factor in the super comfortable feel- so it's a trade-off. I'd say it's well worth it and I'd buy them again- no question!
on December 31, 2012
I have always loved the boots from Caterpillar. So I bought these and they are just as great. Looks good and have a good strong feel to them.
on November 20, 2014
It is small and color is totally different :( My hubby couldn't wear it at all and we had to send it back. We were expecting the BROWN which how it is on the pic but it came out different
review image review image
on September 24, 2014
Purchased these for work, I am a larger guy and as a result the shoes are wearing on the sole a little uneven (as I supinate). The soles are a little rounded unlike running or walking shoes and don't offer the same support as a running shoe would. Otherwise the are comfortable and look nice. The laces are smooth and don't stay tied tight for too long and they are def. a 1/2 size larger as other people have suggested.
on March 11, 2016
Well made sturdy shoe. For me the width is correct for size, but slightly longer than most size 11's I've tried; not enough to drop down to the next smaller size though. I've worn for most of a day & part of another with no problems.
on November 20, 2013
Updated review, 11/23/14:
------------
after having these shoes for less than a year, and wearing them casually and lightly for parts of winter, spring and now the fall of 2014, I'm sorely disappointed in their quality. The shoes are already showing grossly excessive deterioration of the tread on both shoes, having lost numerous lugs on the rear third of both shoes.

Subsequent to purchasing, I found out that these shoes are made by Wolverine, the very same company that bought what was once a great brand of shoes in Merrell, and ruined them. I've had three pairs of Merrell Chameleon Prime Stretch shoes in the last two months that have had such poor quality soles/treads that have become unglued and/or lost lugs in less than three weeks wearing, that I will never buy another Wolverine family product again.

I think the US Federal Government needs to prosecute this company for putting out shoddy products and charging top dollar for products that fail. With the technology that exists today, there's not excuse for shoes that are worn lightly, in less than one year's time, losing chunks of the tread. I've had shoes that have lasted me 5+ years that have never lost tread like Wolverine products do.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I find the Shelk to be a great all-around comfortable shoe that while running a half to full-size larger than other shoes, is excellent for the money and a far better value than its cousins in the Merrell line. So far the shoe is proving durable in the two months I have owned it and hope it stays that way. I might well buy 2-3 pairs for saving, in case they stop making it.
on April 5, 2016
Great Quality shoes for the price.

I work as a locksmith and am normally all over the place... after over a year of wearing them 5 days a week 10 hours a day for work they finally started to give out on me.

I have had many other brands of shoes as well as boots for work and I must admit these have lasted me the longest.

Will buy them again and again as long as they keep making them.