5.0 out of 5 stars Fr.Heft's great study is also an excellent resource!, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Catholic High Schools: Facing the New Realities (Hardcover)
Fr. Heft's "Catholic High Schools: Facing the New Realities" has great breadth and depth.

Heft covers and gives the reader a secure handle on the historical and legal factors impacting Catholic education. In addition, he integrates pedagogy, theology, adolescent psychology and personal witness in a way that is engaging and inviting towards self reflection. His exposition of Aquinas' teaching of why Christ never wrote is masterful and just one small example of how smoothly Heft moves from specific examples to a density of theological reflection. I particularly appreciated his even handed yet critically astute observations on current research relative to teen attitudes towards religion and spirituality.

Heft's handle on the literature on Catholic education is extensive. Along with the sharpness of his insights, this gives a very authoritative dimension to his analysis of the material in this field. I found myself saying: "I've got to get that book or article."

I've been teaching for 45 years in Catholic high schools, mostly theology, but also social studies and psychology, as well as some teaching in the public sector. Heft's book not only clarifies and reinforces my decision to continue in this vocation (Heft has a marvelous section on the vocation of the teacher) but has deepened the vision as to why this is an eminently rich way to live and share life.

I think this book will become, as it should become, standard reading in Catholic education. Every administrator of a Catholic school, indeed every teacher in a Catholic school, should have this book to study and, I predict, enjoy. I plan to return to "Catholic High Schools" frequently. (It has a very good index, so that the frustration of saying: "now where did I come across that idea" is eliminated!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Comprehensive Overview of the History of and Problems Facing Today's Catholic Schools, September 11, 2013
Heft's work touches nearly every aspect of Catholic schools, and it does so by looking at these schools in a wide and formidably complex context. Not only does Heft tackle the history and issues that Catholic schools face, but he also distills a uniform (but not static) mission for Catholic schools out of their successes and failures. Heft's work is very academic (a good thing), and his book touches on the history of the American educational system, classic models and philosophies of pedagogy, and ways Catholic schools can start looking at the future. As an admissions officer at a high-achieving Catholic high school, I was riveted and inspired by Heft's "Catholic High Schools."

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and inspiring, February 5, 2013
After reading Fr. Heft's book, you will better appreciate the value of a Catholic education and have some actionable guidance for how to deliver that education to students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 24, 2014
Very well written and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good or Confusing Education, December 9, 2013
I really don't have any bad feelings towards my two sons' Catholic education. I thought their high school did a great job. However, the Catholic education I got had me so confused that I have now written a humorous book about it. Frank Scoblete author of Confessions of a Wayward Catholic. To me the Catholic Church was a stern-faced nun and Father Sullivan lambasting us in confession.

Catholic High Schools: Facing the New Realities
Catholic High Schools: Facing the New Realities by James Heft (Hardcover - November 17, 2011)
$26.95 $24.26