Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 22, 2002
The Scriptures; the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass; the real presence in the Eucharist; Mary; Purgatory; justification; the nature of baptism; priests. These are all subjects of many a civilized discussion (or heated dispute!) with our protestant brothers and sisters.
The assembled essays in this book explain these and other issues in very clear and readable language. They serve well in explaining the Biblical and historical basis behind these issues.
For the Catholic who wants to understand the faith better, whether it be for personal growth or to help defend the teachings against those who would criticize them, this book is for you.
For the protestant who is willing to let the Catholic Church explain the Catholic Church, this book is for you too.
A pretty easy read. Well worth your time!
0Comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 1999
I have recently made the decision to join the Catholic Church. I will be confirmed at Easter Vigil in 2000 and much of the reason is Scott Hahn. I highly recommend anything written or edited by him, especially this particular gem. The beauty of this one is that it has 11 different authors who each tackle a different important element of the church in a comprehensive way all while remaining in unison to the common theme: THE FAMILY OF GOD. It answers all of the important and legitimate questions of the Protestents. I don't know how anyone can read this book and not want to be a Catholic. As Dr. Hahn says in his other book ROME SWEET HOME, "come home, supper is waiting at the table." Well I'm on my way home, come with me if you're not already there.
11 comment|204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 1999
"Catholic for a Reason" is probably the best book available to share with Protestant Christians. Too many times, Protestants object to Catholic doctrines because they do not 'understand' Catholic doctrines. This book gives the Protestant Christian a good overview of the historical and biblical basis for Catholicism. Read with an open heart and mind, this book should help Protestants come home to the Catholic Church. Reviewed by Gospel Truth Ministries
on May 9, 2003
I come from a Catholic home. I knew my faith well, but I did not know how to defend my believes when I got to college. I left the church and later became protestant for many years. If I had read this book in my early twenties, I would have stayed with the Catholic Faith all along. This book is a great tool for Catholics who want to know how to defend their faith when they feel attacked by protestant brothers and sisters in the faith.
on May 27, 1998
As Scott Hahn says in the introduction, Catholic for a Reason "is written to change the way you think--about everything." Well, the authors succeed. Drawing on Scripture and Tradition, each of these twelve capable authors makes a case for an aspect of the Catholic Faith in the context of the book's overarching theme, the Catholic Church as the Family of God. Perhaps the best quality of the book is that it tells a story, rather than answering common objections to the Catholic Faith, as most apologetics works do. Well-written, compelling, and above all charitable, Catholic for a Reason is an excellent presentation of the Catholic Faith in an attractive form. See for yourself why Peter Kreeft says, "Its central idea of 'the family of God' turns out to be central to every aspect of the Catholic faith, and no idea is more fundamental to our current crisis and 'culture war' than this one."
on January 10, 2005
I am a convert to the Catholic faith within the past three years. There were some aspects of our faith that meshed perfectly with my old ideas of the world. Some took more work, prayer, and help from others. Two or three I stuggle with today. To me, we are all on a constant journey to get closer to God. This book will help you move a`few steps on that journey. There are four essays in this book that are absolutely enlightening. All are good, but four are exceptional. A great read for those interested in apologetics, or those just wanting a clear vision of what it means to be a Catholic Christian.
on May 27, 1998
Faithful to the magisterium, this book is written in an easy-to-read style. It addresses in a very succinct way some of the pressing issues of being a Catholic Christian: Baptism and being "Born Again", Justification, The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, Mary, Marriage and divorce, Call no man Father, and Purgatory are just a few examples. Recommended for all who desire to know clearly what Catholics REALLY believe.
on December 10, 2003
Unfortunately, our Canadian rewiewing friend did not appear to read the chapter on justification (or if he did, he failed to absorb its message). If he had, he would have learned that he is misinterpreting the passages he cites as opposing Catholic teaching because he is ignoring the all-important *CONTEXT*. Namely, that Paul was writing to Judaizers who thought they could save themselves through doing the "works of the [Mosaic] Law" apart from Christ. Paul is NOT speaking about works done in and through the grace of Christ (see 1 Cor.15:10), which are very much necessary if we hope to receive our heavenly reward (see Gal.6:8-10, Rom.2:6-11 or Matt 25).
Ironically, our Canadian friend has unwittingly helped to prove the authors' goals in writing this book: 1)we need to work hard to educate Catholics about their own faith, many of whom sadly perpetuate misunderstandings such as this one, and, 2)non-Catholics need to hear the fullness of historic Christianity and receive God's sacraments in the one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. This book should be spread far & wide for both purposes. I have heard personal testimonies of how this book has helped bring ex-Catholics back to the fold. It is a treasure!
on August 31, 2006
Scott Hahn is without question the most popular and important Catholic apologist in today's world. Not only is he an incredibly gifted author but he is also a very dynamic speaker as well. His efforts have not only helped many of the Catholic faithful to better understand our faith but he has also been instrumental in the conversion process for many new Catholics. He himself was a Protestant minister until he began to examine scripture more closely and found a home in the Catholic Church.

Most of Dr. Hahn's books are the exclusive work of his brilliant mind and I have yet to read one that didn't teach me many things and help me understand better the things that I thought that I knew. In somewhat of a departure however the good doctor only writes one chapter and serves as co-editor of the rest of the essays that make up this book. Surprisingly, Dr. Hahn's chapter is not the best one to be found within this collection but among such other fine works that is nothing to be ashamed of. Among the best chapters are those by Curtis Martin, Kris Gray, Timothy Gray and Kimberly Hahn all of whom shine in a sky full of stars.

The basic theme for this collection of essays is the Church as the family of God (familia Dei) and each and every chapter deals with some aspect of this reality. From chapters on Our Lady's role as our mother, Divine sonship, the Church as the bride of Christ and the reality of Purgatory to the use of the term Father when addressing a Priest this book covers many interesting facets of our Catholic family. Best of all everything is explained in an easy to read and understand method with the authors not assuming that we are all as well educated in the Faith as they are.

There are a few negative aspects of this book however that deserve some attention. In any collection of essays some will be better than others and that is certainly the case here. None of the essays are bad, or even average for that matter but some of them are just a bit dry in places. Another problem is that some of the authors tend to use way too many quotes, one of which is so long that it takes up an entire page. Some quotations are reasonable and necessary but some of these authors push the limits a little too far. One other point that registers as both a negative and a positive is the somewhat repetitive nature of some essays. It is excellent that the main them is discussed time and again and that the subject is never far from the surface but too often I found myself thinking that I must have lost my place because I had read the same exact thing just minutes ago. I don't know how this could have been avoided but it was sometimes disconcerting.

There is much to know about the Catholic Faith and despite some minor flaws Dr. Hahn and company have done a marvelous job of explaining some of the very basics of Church teaching. They are not mean spirited or pompous as they explain to us less educated Catholics some things that we really should have known already. This book can justifiably be touted as another winner in the Hahn collection.
VINE VOICEon August 21, 2006
I highly recommend this to people considering converting to the Catholic faith or those who are new in it. I would even suggest it to "cradle Catholics" like myself because we all need a refresher on what our faith really is. The conglomeration of different authors is a brilliant idea because it gives the reader different perspectives. The authors are connected to the Franciscan University at Steubenville, which some priests have told me is the best Catholic university in the country. This book is heavily based on the Scriptures and very enlightening. It gives the big picture that we are God's family and He loves us.