Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CHI by CHI 44 IRON GUARD THERMAL PROTECTING SPRAY 8.5 OZ
Automotive Deals Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc HPCC $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 8, 2011
I got this because I'd been using the Fantasia line for a couple years but wasn't too sure it was giving me the level of protection I need for the amount of heat I use on my hair. I have bi-racial, heat trained hair. It's not course or too thick but it does tend to drink product.

1-This spray smells like a man's cologne. I could get pass that if it worked but my entire bedroom smelled like a Macy's men's fragrance counter after I finished.

2-The spray is sticky and wets the hair. After I spend 45 minutes under the drier, more water is the last thing my hair needs before I put a hot tool through it. You should never flat iron wet hair and this spray causes you to do just that. Wet + Heat = fried.

3-It dried my hair out. It took me twice as long to do my hair and then it looked a mess when I finished. I now have to go back give myself a moisture treatment because of the dryness I have with this product. All the work I did pre-poo'ing, deep conditioning, and roller setting was completely UNDONE by using this product.

I thought since Chi hot tools are so highly recommended in the black natural hair community (well that portion that heat trains anyway) that their products would be a safe bet. This was waste of $13 and I will not be using it again. I even used it twice just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I'll be going back to more serum based heat protectors from now one. I never had this problem with the Fantasia line.
on September 10, 2008
I bought this product thinking that the Chi straightener was amazing so all their products must be. However, I noticed that my hair seemed dryer after use and not protected from split ends. I even discussed the product with my hairdresser who agreed that she found it was drying and affected the look of some of her clients hair and was throwing it away and going back to her original brand of choice (which of course I have forgotten). Plus, and this is a personal thing, I think it smells like something in men's cologne. I am still in the process of looking for an amazing protectant option.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
I bought this product at Target thinking that it would be the best heat protectant. However, after many uses, it made my hair extremely corse. I would spray it on my dry hair, which would then become wet. I would let it dry (so I wouldn't apply hear to my wet hair)then I would use my hair straightener. I found that it made my hair feel extremely course and burnt. My hair was straight but it looked horrible. At first I thought it was my hair straightener, but then I noticed the hair that I didn't spray was still soft and straightened really well.

I would not recommend this product. I think this is the last product of CHI I use.
on June 6, 2011
I bought this product because of the positive word of mouth about the CHI line. A lot of BW swear by the CHI serum. However, this product was disastrous for my hair. It left my hair feeling dry and coarse; also my hair looked quite dull after.
This product is definitely not for relaxed hair![I also would NOT recommend it to my natural hair girls due to drying effects!]
I heard the FHI hot sauce works a lot better, but I have not tried to be sure. If you're not comfortable leaving the CHI line, stick with the serum.
on January 1, 2012
This product is terrible! I have kinky/curly (4a) hair, and this product was absolutely awful. Granted, it did protect my hair from heat, but it's just so sticky and it made my hair knot up and get tangled after spraying it on. After blow drying my hair, my hair felt like sticky straw. ugh! I used this product many times until I wised up and bought Fantasia IC heat protectant (which is wonderful!).
on November 18, 2007
I used this product last night just before using my Chi. It feels almost like hairspray and it's REALLY sticky, and it took me over an hour to flatiron my hair! Granted, I have a lot of hair, but I'm also a mom and don't have that kind of time just to play with my hair. And after all that work by the end of the night, my hair was frizzy and kinking up all over the place. I didn't want to give up on my VERY expensive Chi products purchased with birthday money just yet, so I used Straight Guard on my hair today before flatironing it in sections. It's much better than the Iron Guard, and it only took me ten minutes to straighten my hair again. I was amazed that just a little bit goes a long way. So if you want something that can minimize primping time and make your hair smooth and shiny, go with the Straight Guard.
on October 13, 2011
i usually love all chi products, including the hair straightener, but this is one product that i wish i hadn't bought. i've read the other reviews and other people said that it's sticky. i didn't experience that, but this product did fry my hair. my hair is naturally thick, curly, and dry. this heat protecting spray did not enhance anything about my hair when i straightened it.
on January 6, 2014
I bought this product because I have recently been flat ironing my hair a lot and wanted to protect it from heat damage. I sprayed this on and worked it through a section of my hair that I was going to style. I was using my straightener at 360 degrees. My hair burnt off INSTANTLY. Definitely will never buy again. Maybe it works for others, but definitely check with your stylist before using because it completely wrecked my hair.
on December 14, 2012
I usually use the Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray. However, I ran out and needed a heat protectant. The store bear my house only had this Iron Guard and since it was bearing the CHI brand name, I decided to give it a try. At $14 for the bottle compared to $3 the Tresemme spray, I was highly disappointed! This spray made my hair feel sticky and dry at the ends. It also has the smell of a men's cologne. It's so terrible. I am going to throw it out! Tresemme's spray is $10 cheaper, smells 10 times better (like crisp apples), and my hair is 10 times softer. I AM PISSED I bought this garbage! There is alcohol in it, that should have told me it would not work as well. BOOOOOOOO.
on October 1, 2009
This product states you should use on dry hair. It makes your hair wet again and sticky. I bought this to use with a flat iron which is supposed to straighten my hair. If you put a spray on that remains wet, your hair will curl. I was not impressed with this product.