5.0 out of 5 stars WOW
What a fantastic idea. It's about time for a cat tree to look beautiful in your house. The Cats natural instinct is to climb trees and what a tree for them to climb. The carpet is removable for cleaning, WOW. And it comes apart for cleaning also. What a great product.
Published on January 6, 2012 by Heather

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive
Published 22 months ago by Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cat tree solution. Happily tossed our carpet covered one!, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
We had a typical carpet (actually thick fleece) covered cat tree (furniture). We bought it from Pet Co dot com (very flimsy junk BTW). The two big problems we had were: the cat tree was light brown (so when our white and black cats used it their black fur would make it look filthy after a short while) and it was a flimsy piece of heavy junk.

No biggie you think, on the first problem, just vacuum it right? No dice! Not only does the vacuum loosen the carpet / 'fabric' stuff (more like thick fake fleece) and makes this non carpet stuff loose sloppy and saggy, but it will NOT pick up the now embedded black cat hair. The cat tree looked gross in about 4 months. It was a heavy, awkward, poorly made piece of junk (made in China). The upright tubes started snapping (junk plastic at ends of the upright tubes, typical lowest bidder in China) and I now regret wasting my time and effort (and $99) on it in the first place! Pet Co .com has a 90 day online return window, had I known that I would have sent this back (or locally returned it) in the first week! I ended up putting it on craigslist for a free "Curb Alert" and it was gone in a few hours Thankfully...

My wife and I started looking for other 'tree' options shortly after I put together the PetCo "premium" tower. We were looking for one that would be easier to clean (and generally look nicer than this 70's-80's looking fake carpet thing, they all look very dated, like an avocado green appliance)...

Her desire (and mine) was to have something that was NOT a ticking allergenic time bomb (which the carpeted cat furniture is). We liked the looks of the lotus cat tree, but the reviews were not good, at how hit or miss (mostly miss) the quality was. Also it was not cheap enough to roll the dice and take a chance to see if we got 'lucky' (also not sure country of origin).

Yes, the lotus cat tree looked nice (very nice), in theory, but dodgy manufacturing was the weak point. I finally stumbled onto this listing, after looking at higher end units, and was glad I did. We wanted/hoped to have this unit in time for a birthday (surprise) so I ended up calling the company to see about delivery speeds and options. So glad I did, they were great and it was SO NICE to talk to someone in Florida (not overseas) and find out my tree would be completely hand made in the USA (Miami, FL).

Granted it's not "cheap", and likely out of the range of many, but when you factor in that it will last YEARS and years, and divide how many years, the yearly cost is much less than what I wasted on the cat tree we threw out! I now see it as something we will have for years and years (at least 7, maybe double that).

Yes it was a big (a very big) 'splurge' on our cats, but it will probably work out to less than $50 a year, in reality. Cheap to assist in lowering a major source of allergies for my wife, and well worth that fact alone (IMO).

I wasted $100 (and several hours trying to return the garbage unit to Pet co dot com) on the 6 months we had the fake carpeted piece of junk (BTW the Pet Co dot com one broke partially in the first week from defective upright end caps, wish I had returned it)...

Now onto the design, and what this thing is like!:

The box is huge, and wonderfully thick (it was so well made I wanted to send it back, I felt bad recycling it). You start with a green base about 3 foot around (that's the floor space you will need). This base is Plywood covered in green AstroTurf with a single metal thread location in the center. On the bottom of the green base are 4 small 'legs' you can adjust to make sure the base is level (most floors slant downhill from the wall). I highly recommend the green base is SLIGHTLY tilted towards the wall. You can confirm this at step two when you put on the main center pipe. Once the base is wobble free (another nice feature is the 4 adjustment legs allow you to ensure the tree does NOT wobble). Now you insert and screw in the main pipe. This pipe is a heavy metal pipe you screw in and then tighten with the included tightening tool (a straight steel rod you place through the main tube using drilled holes for a "T" effect allowing you to really tighten the main pole nicely, this straight steel piece I also wanted to return, it was nicely made and I still have it in my cellar).

The pole is galvanized silver, but you will never see the pole again (unless you take the tree apart). That's it, then next three steps are totally easy. Find the biggest 'base' level, and slide it (from the top) over the pole and it will drop down and sit on the center of the AstroTurf. Next slide on the center section the same way, it will sit on the first section. the way to easily tell the two apart is chose the one with the biggest circle as the base. Finally slide on the top section. This is easy to pick out, as it has not only a smaller circle, but no hole on the top surface (the other two have holes). The only 'fiddling' was to get the top section to go on the last tiny bit. Just kind of fiddle/wiggle it, and when it drops down and rests on the next section, you know it's done. Now too the second to last step! Turn/spin the sections so the cutouts are not all aligned (if they were, it would be hard for the cats to climb from section to section, think of them as steps).

The last step is to reposition the branches / leaves. They are silk leaves on plastic covered steel stems, so I find bending the stems in the direction desired (straight up or down) makes the leaves go the direction desired. This is very similar to 'fluffing' a fake xmas tree... The leaves are initially pushed over, so the sections stack well in the box and the leaves are not damaged, but I found once I fluffed them it made the circular shelf areas bigger and much easier for the cats to get around.

Like I said, I am a big fan of something made in the USA, and this is 100% made (and designed) in the USA (every single piece, I can tell). The Southern FL area, to be specific, from looking and talking to the company. If I had a second house, I would not hesitate to get a second tree from them. I anticipate the tree lasting 7+ years and possibly as long as the cats themselves (although I don't like to think about that timing).

TWO YEAR UPDATE!

So it has been two years, I'm not sure if you can still get this but I will say it has held up well. Our full grown cats both love it. One cat sleeps on it every single day (top perch). some leaves fell off (maybe a couple of dozen over 2 years) but of the hundreds of leaves you can't even tell. It was pricey BUT I REALLY liked buying something that was NOT made over seas (in any way!). Going on how it has 'worn' (mostly some leaves falling off initially) I can only see it maybe needing a new top perch rug in many more years... I vacuum it (spend much more time on it than lower levels) but when I am done it looks virtually new... I hated how terrible the carpet covered "Tube thing" we bought (100 bucks at a local pet store) looked in just a few months. Trashed and broken posts in no time. As soon as I got this unit I gave the carpeted one away on CL free...

5.0 out of 5 stars tree, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I have 4 cats. At first they were scared of it and could not figure out how to get into it. I put it by a chair and they jumped from there into the 2nd level. After about a week I put it by the window - they finally figured it out. Now there in it all the time. They even push each other off the top level. Murray always like being low but not no more =- he is 5 feet up anf loving it. Amazon was the cheapest price for this tree. plus free shipping. The tree is built well and only takes minutes to put together. I"m happy and so are my babies.
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a fake "real" tree in my living room!, May 26, 2012
Lene Jensen (On a sillyness thread) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I like this tree, it looks kind of like a real tree. I wanted Princess to have a little bit of outdoors inside, and this is really the only I could find that met that criteria. When it arrived, both Princess and I wanted to tear into the box, probably for different reasons. I found putting it together very easy. One comment on picture number two, it looks like a different configuration, but it's really three parts next to each other. Anyway, it was easy to put together and I got it up quickly. Princess looked it is with a great deal of scepticism. I put treats on all three levels, and put her up on the top level. She ate the treats, jumped down to the next level, ate all treats there, the same on the lowest level, and then she jumped off. She was still sceptical.

However, later that day, she decided to rest on the base. It's fake grass, and not very comfortable, but everyone who's ever had a cat, know that they are like children, they can fall asleep in the weirdest positions and locations. A bit later that day, she jumped up on a box that is on level with with the lowest level, and jumped on board. Since the tree is behind my La-Z-boy, I heard something that sounded like she was shredding paper or something behind me. I turned around and realised it was her getting around in her tree.

A little bit about the foliage. It is fake and a bit hard to move around. It is preventing Princess from wanting to jump from level to level. So she has come up with the idea of jumping up on the armrest, then the top of the chair and from there into the top of the tree. She likes to rest up there, as well as sleeping. She will sometimes jump back on the chair, other times she will go down the steps on the tree. The instructions says to move things around, but at least on mine, that seems impossible.

But I love the look of it (if you have to have a fake tree in your living room this is one of the best!), and even better, Princess likes hanging out in there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholas loves it!, September 19, 2012
Assezmalicieuse (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I have been interested in a leafy cat tree condo after I discovered the Pet Tree House online, but $1200 for what is essentially a cat perch is insane! The Catreesort cat tree condo is a great compromise. My cat Nick was always looking for a high perch from which to observe all the action in the living room, but most of the other cat furniture I could find was totally disgusting. As much as I love my cat, I want my apartment to remain stylish AND become more Nicholas friendly without succumbing to a hideously carpeted monstrosity ruining my aesthetic. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the cat tree house looks. No one will ever confuse it for a living tree, but it certainly looks better than 99% of the other cat condos I've seen. At first, Nick was more fascinated by the huge box it came in more than the condo itself. However, after putting a few treats and catnip on each level, I have yet to see Nick out of the tree three days later. Occasionally, from the corner of my eye, I will see him peeking out from between the leaves, licking his chops. He looks like a tiny gray panther planning his next attack. I can almost see the wheels turning; it is starting to dawn on him that the height of the condo and density of leaves gives him the perfect perch from which to launch play battles at any angle. I'm sure I will rue the day I bought it after Nick discovers all the new areas he can reach from his new condo, but for now, he is overjoyed and that's all that matters to me. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I thought this product was very unique....one of a kind. Now that I have it together in my home I see that it was definitely not worth the price. Terribly wobbly and the perches are very skimpy with little space for a grown cat. I wouldn't have minded paying the price if I would have received a better product. My cat completely ignores it, except for the astro turf on the ground around the bottom. But almost $400. is a bit much to pay for 3 feet in diameter of astro turf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long wait, great cat tree, arrived broken, AGAIN, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I finally got my cat tree, but it arrived broken and I am having to send it back. I have already ordered a new one. The problem was that the trunk of the middle section was broken off, which makes that platform wobbly. Still, it is a beautiful tree and worth the trouble to risk another one.

I am giving it 5 stars because it is the best cat tree I have ever seen, but I am disappointed to have to return such a large item which I waited so long for, and wait even longer for another one.

10-4-2012 - I have dropped my rating down to 4 stars because my replacement tree had a branch broken off on the upper level. It is not load-bearing, so I am going to glue it, rather than return it and wait for yet another. I wish they could just send me a new upper-level component.

I hope the smell of fresh glue does not detract the cats. I think I will glue the piece on, and wait a month or longer before putting it on the tree.

They need to package the components separately, with lots of padding. The basic structure is sound (a metal pole screws into the bottom, and the components fit over it), but the decorative trunk and branches are made of hardened foam, which easily breaks off if not secured during shipping. Once the tree is assembled, the foam pieces should not be a problem.

I think my cats will eventually love this tree, but it has been frustrating for me. I first saw the cat tree on Animal Planet's show, "My Cat From Hell", with cat whisperer Jackson Galaxy.

4.0 out of 5 stars not worth $500 unless you have an abundance or money, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
I love the look of the tree, I have a young modern home and I love to entertain so the other cat tree options weren't really options for me at all. The tree is nice, and my kittens like the fake grass turf base to scratch and the bottom perch. They don't go past the bottom perch but I assume once they're older they will. I took away a star for the leaves, the size of the perches, and the cost, I do not believe this thing should be $500 (including shipping) the leaves are not that secure my 2 and 4 month old kittens easily tears them off and uses them as toys, in a year or two I fear the tree will be nearly bald. Also the pole is a standard pipe from home depot cut to 40" it cost around $30, the tightening pole is completely unneeded, and the perches easily break from the bases in shipping also indicating that I'll have to secure them with glue or nails in time, lastly the perches are small as another poster mentioned I have a 4 month Siamese and a 2 month small Bengal kitten and they do not fit easily on the 2nd and top perch together. The bottom one is the largest. However, I'll also mention that if the tree was any larger it probably wouldn't look good in smaller homes so I guess it's the appropriate size for small to medium sized homes. I purchased this tree it arrived with no poles, and the bottom perch broken in half, not a great first impression :O(

5.0 out of 5 stars Our cat loves this tree!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo (Misc.)
Love this tree. It was easy to put together and our cat must think it's a Christmas tree. She is always in it. I plan to put small lights on it for the holidays. Well worth the price.

Catreesort 5-Feet Cat Tree Condo