4.0 out of 5 stars This movie was terrible...
...and I loved every minute of it.

I went into this movie as a not expecting much - but hoping to be entertained and I was. The movie was bright, colorful and camp as Christmas.

Like the other reviewers said - it has nothing to do with the comic lore - but if you can get past that and want to see a cheesy super "hero" movie - then go for it...
Published on October 15, 2004 by PJM

3.0 out of 5 stars unpretentious comic book film
Published on January 12, 2006 by Roland E. Zwick

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie was terrible..., October 15, 2004
PJM (Poughkeepsie, NY United States) - See all my reviews
...and I loved every minute of it.

I had a good time and sometimes that's all you want from a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING JOB!!! Halie Berry!, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Catwoman [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I recently watched this movie for the 1st time the other day. I was very impressed. I didn't find it cheesy or stupid. I give it 5 stars. It's nice to see some female superheroes out there. I love the action in this film & She looks amazing! MEOW!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Critics don't know anything at all..., January 22, 2005
This movie was by no means AMAZING, but it was entertaining. I expected it to be terrible from all the negative buzz it got from critics. It really wasn't all that bad. Sure, the graphics could have been better, but I've watched pretty much every single movie that has been out for rent recently and it stands out as one of my favorites.

3.0 out of 5 stars unpretentious comic book film, January 12, 2006
I admire the approach the filmmakers have taken towards "Catwoman," for rather than setting their tale in the same dark, cavernous, largely computer-generated metropolis we are used to in most of these superhero movies, they have chosen to keep it rooted more in the real world. In a similar way, they manage to keep Catwoman herself believable, vulnerable and realistic, thanks in no small part to the beautiful and beguiling Halle Berry in the title role.

Berry plays Patience Phillips, a pretty, but less-than-glamorous advertising artist who works for a major cosmetics company, ruled over by a tyrannical CEO and his equally ruthless wife, the former spokes model for their products. When Patience mistakenly overhears the corporate bigwigs discussing the fact that one of their best-selling creams is causing women to become seriously ill, she is dutifully murdered by a couple of the boss' henchmen. However, all is not lost for Patience, for, unbeknownst to her, she has been chosen to receive the special gift of reincarnation in the form of a cat woman who will no longer be subject to the laws of either nature or society.

The best parts of "Catwoman" involve Patience's incrementally becoming more and more catlike in her attitude and demeanor, and her slowly dawning realization of what is happening to her. It takes awhile for her to accept this surprising turn of events, but, when she does, she becomes, quite literally, a new woman, bold, self-confident and willing to take on the oppressors and evildoers in our society. Patience is paired up with an attractive police officer (apparently the only one ever on duty in that city), who gradually comes to realize who and what she is as well. Berry and Benjamin Bratt make a very appealing romantic couple, and their scenes together are some of the best in the movie. Also impressive is Sharon Stone who deserves credit for allowing herself to appear in a role in which her "fading" beauty plays such a significant part (shades of Vivien Leigh playing Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire"). Stone is the villainous wife of the company's CEO who is determined to make sure Catwoman doesn't spill the beans on their defective product.

The special effects are probably the least successful aspect of this film. Catwoman's jumping from rooftop to rooftop looks an awful lot like CGI effects to me. And the movie does occasionally go on auto pilot (especially towards the end), though, thankfully, not usually for very long. The literal cat fight between Berry and Stone at the finale is necessary, I guess, but really rather silly overall.

Still, considering the pounding this movie received from both critics and audiences when it was first released in the summer of 2004, I wound up being pleasantly surprised at just how enjoyable "Catwoman" turned out to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I can give less than 1 star, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Catwoman (Amazon Instant Video)
Quit possible one of the lamest movies ever created in the history of the world. (Not hyperbole). It was a little better that grown-ups and significantly better than grown-up 2.

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie is terrible., August 9, 2013
I don't think there's really one redeeming quality about this movie.... you'd be better off reading a book. effects are terrible, plot is terrible, script was terrible, acting is terrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even finish this, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Catwoman (Amazon Instant Video)
One of the few movies I could not even finish it was so bad. Terrible story + terrible acting = terrible movie. The only this worse is the XBOX game of this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purists don't like this one, but I do, September 15, 2013
This review is from: Catwoman [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
No, it is not Oscar material. No it is not even Halle Berry's best movie. But there is something that has always appealed to my superhero gene about this movie (and it's not just Halle Berry eye candy). I like the story. I like the acting. Just take it for what it is intended - a fantastical story about a women who comes back to life because of the mystical powers associated with cats. You don't need Batman involved to like this movie. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Movie is terrible, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Catwoman (Amazon Instant Video)
It's horrible. A hoop shooting contest that would be right at home on Hey Jesse, she squirts some punks with a kitchen sink hose! She makes herself look like Prince in the 90s and steals a motorcycle. Honestly, that's where I got off the train. Hallie Berry is beautiful, but even I have limits. One of the stupidest movies I've ever seen and I just can't do it. Someone said 10-12 year old girls might like it. Maybe.... it's formatted like those disney shows for that age group so that's probably true.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cat Woman rocks!, December 11, 2007
You could really see the special effects, like the computer images that took over for the characters when they couldn't really have done something. Other than that, it was a good movie.

Catwoman [Blu-ray]
Catwoman [Blu-ray] by Pitof (Blu-ray - 2009)
$14.98 $9.49